Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 1883atlantics

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
1883atlantics is on a distinguished road

Please help this new guy get a rock!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-04-06 , 10:03 PM

Hi everyone and thank you for the warm welcome I received in the "Greet New Members" sub-forum! Here's my situation:
I'm not wealthy by any means; I'm a "social worker" by trade so my "pay" is more in seeing people succeed in their lives rather than monetary gain.
My engagement diamond budget will have me limited to about 5-6k. Could I reasonably expect to find a 1 carat RB stone with exceptional light return (#1 priority) or am I dreaming? I have read up on diamond education so I know the Cut is the most important C in light return but am still very "green" when it comes to pricing.
As for the setting, I'm trying to find something very similiar to a design my fiance-to-be saw on the Mondera company's website.
Thanks again for the warm welcome and any advice you can give!
Jeff
ps. I posted this in the "greet new members" sub-forum but I think I should have placed it in a more appropriate area, my apologies.

Attached Images
R1883atlantics.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 171
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Re: Please help this new guy get a rock!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-04-06 , 10:16 PM

Hi, Jeff;

Once again welcome to Diamondtalk!

I would say that with your budget you're looking at H-I color and SI-1/SI-2 Clarity. Consider .90 to .99 carat weight stones as well because well-cut will look as big as a 1 carat and save you anywhere from 10-20% on price which you can use on the setting.

Insofar as Cut Quality and light performance is concerned, this is something that cannot be ascertained from the lab report. You will need to physically see the diamonds or work with diamond vendors that can provide you with data and information that will allow you to evaluate the stones' face up appearance.

Stick with GIA or AGS lab reports as they are the most accurate, stringent, and consistent grading labs on the market today.

As far as that setting is concerned, it is a standard piece and any jeweler you decide to work with can get it for you.

Good Luck!

Old annie1

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
annie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-04-06 , 10:19 PM

If you use the "Search the Database" bar at the top of the screen, you should be able to see what the network jewelers here have posted. That's a least a starting point to see what you can get within your budget. Are you willing to go just under a carat? Like in the .9ish range? I hear you can save some money that way.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 167
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-05-06 , 12:04 AM

That setting is beautiful.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8807, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-05-06 , 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1883atlantics
My engagement diamond budget will have me limited to about 5-6k. Could I reasonably expect to find a 1 carat RB stone with exceptional light return (#1 priority) or am I dreaming?

Hi atlantics I think you should be able to get a nice carat stone in that range with excellent light return. Here is one that came to mind when I read your post.
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...86#p ost439586

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 153
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-05-06 , 01:58 AM

I love that setting too!

Good luck with your search Jeff.

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16781, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-05-06 , 10:12 AM

Also Brad forgot to mention that we can make a mounting like that one. It also has a matching band as well.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old 1883atlantics

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
1883atlantics is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-05-06 , 03:08 PM

thank you so much for the help with my diamond search! and for the compliments on the setting. The side stones equal about 4/5 ct. and are G-H VS2 I believe (this is from memory). Would round accents make the center stone appear larger?
everyone has been so helpful here so far. I appreciate it very much!
Jeff

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Asscher ideal cut by masterstones
Up a Topic Asscher ideal cut posted in DIAMONDS by masterstones
Older:
Down a Topic proportions proportions proportions by scottlewis
Down a Topic Where can I find this Wedding Band posted in JEWELRY by xxxxxxx