Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old tiffany_fan

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
tiffany_fan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-06-01 , 02:25 AM

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a simple diamond engagement ring. Although I recently purchased a ring from bluenile.com, I have recently learned that my fiancee-to-be is VERY interested in the classic six prong platinum setting from Tiffany's. The Tiffany's ring with the same quality diamond (E color VVS2) as bluenile costs twice as much! I must admit, however, that the Tiffany's setting is strikingly simple and elegant.

Is it worth paying twice as much for the same quality diamond?

Now this is where I have a few questions. It seems that the Tiffany's setting is truly unique, and I have a hard time finding similar settings. I assume this is because Tiffany owns a patent or something. Is it worth asking a jeweler to try and approximate the Tiffany's setting? How difficult is that, and is it legal? Also, the Tiffany's salesperson told me that Tiffany's solitaires are specially cut. Is this true? Is a round brilliant cut diamond from Tiffany's fundamentally different that one from bluenile.com (or anywhere else)? Even though I purchased a brilliant round ideal cut diamond from bluenile, it seems to lack the fire and sparkle of the equivalent Tiffany's setting. Then again, I am by no means an expert, and this is my first time dealing with diamonds.

One more option is to get a lower quality diamond (VS1-2 G thru I color) from Tiffany's, which still costs more than what I have, but not by too much. Will the average person be able to tell the difference?

I hope someone can answer my questions, as well as offer some opinion on whether the premium price for the Tiffany's setting is worth it. My apolgies if this topic has already been discussed to death.

Thank you.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old NDnewbie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
NDnewbie is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=11, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-06-01 , 02:30 AM

if you go to tiffany's you will be paying a ton of $$$ for the name. if that's what you want that's fine as long as you know. you can find even nicer cut diamonds that will cost you less than you will pay at tiffany's but you wont get the nice little box.

there are many people who sell the same six-prong tiffany setting so you dont have to pay the tiffany's premium just for that setting. if you want, you can contact jan & brad at http://www.diamondbrokersoffl.co m and ask them about it. i'm almost positive they said they carry the setting.

NDnewbie newbie for life

Old WMS

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
WMS is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-06-01 , 04:11 AM

The classic Tiffany is sheer elegance in it’s simplicity, and has been sense it was introduces around 1850, as such the patents have long sense run out. The original Tiffany mounting uses a High base round six prong head and a slightly tapering shank, say 3 mm at the top tapering to 2 mm or so at the bottom. Many jewelers interpret any 4 or 6 prong solitaire as a Tiffany, and the accepted norm in the jewelry industry is a 6 prong die struck head with a tapered pinched shank as a Tiffany. Both are readily available, however I may be describing something different than what you viewed.

You also need to decide whether or not you want the “blue Box” experience, and the service which comes with it.

WMS signature
WMS
Jeweler and Gemologist to the trade
Old NDnewbie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-06-01 , 09:47 AM

just to clarify once again, i believe jan & brad carry the exact same one that tiffany's carries and not knock off.

NDnewbie newbie for life

Old beatlebill

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
beatlebill is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=302, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-06-01 , 04:18 PM

Actually, I just got a hold of Jan and they DO NOT carry the 6-Prong setting. They may carry the lucida, I don't know, but definitely not the 6-prong

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
moediamonds is on a distinguished road

Hi Tiffany Fan
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-06-01 , 05:44 PM

When I worked for Tiffany, about 4 years ago, they typically used only Ideal cut diamonds.
Even their little 1 point diamonds came to my office certified with 57% table and other ideal proportions.
What you're paying double and sometimes triple is for the extra labor involved.
Diamond setters, such as myself, charged Tiffany a premium because they needed perfection.
Since they were selling perfection, at a very high markup to the consumer,I had to charge a very high price.
Luckily for me, I learned everything about their designs and who they get their diamonds from and so forth.

The Tiffany 6 prong setting is recreated by many manufacturers.
But, it will never carry the Tiffany stamping on it. If anyone has a Tiffany stamping on it, it's been copied and that would be Illegal. Similar band with no stamp on it - legal.

When you buy from Tiffany you're supposed to get a certificate of authenticity with your purchase.

The Tiffany Lucida ring, however, is a patented name. The platinum ring nor the square radiant is patented.(Their salespeople must tell consumers that everything is patented when most is not).
Since this forum does not allow self-advertising, I cannot tell you what I have available. But you can email me if you'd like.

Old NDnewbie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-06-01 , 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beatlebill
Actually, I just got a hold of Jan and they DO NOT carry the 6-Prong setting. They may carry the lucida, I don't know, but definitely not the 6-prong

sorry, i guess the old memory is failing again. didnt mean to lead you in the wrong direction. i could have sworn it was jan but maybe it was someone else. of course i could just be on crack since i've only been getting about 3 hours of sleep each night for a few days. i'll try to read up on some old posts to see if i can find what i was thinking of

NDnewbie newbie for life

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-06-01 , 09:00 PM

Hi NDNewbie,

What does the ND stand for?

No Doze???

Old NDnewbie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-06-01 , 09:11 PM

moe--
i used to think it was Notre Dame but now i think it's Never Done. of course i could really use some NoDoze

NDnewbie newbie for life

Old NDnewbie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-06-01 , 09:14 PM

beatlebill--
okay, after a little searching i found what i was thinking of. at the bottom of the page brad said he had just shipped one out so i figured he and jan carried them. sorry about that.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2916

of course i did find the thread where someone found one that looks just like it carried by the Fusaro line. here's a link to that thread and it even has a pic of what it looks like from the side.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2831

NDnewbie newbie for life

NDnewbie signature
NDnewbie newbie for life
Old Archer4hire

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
Archer4hire is on a distinguished road

Interesting link
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-07-01 , 10:13 AM

Hi All,

Here's an interesting link with illustrations. Apologies if it's been posted before.

http://www.professionaljeweler.c o...9/1199fys1.html

John

Old beatlebill

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-07-01 , 10:34 AM

NDNewbie-
The Fusaro has a completely different head than the Tiffany head.
Check out these photos of the real Tiffany 6-prong that I've been collecting in my own Tiffany setting search.
http://www.billhess.com/tiffany.htm

Old NDnewbie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-07-01 , 10:58 AM

sorry i havent been much help here. i was hoping someone that carried that setting would have chimed in by now. hang in there, i'm sure someone has it for you.

NDnewbie newbie for life

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-07-01 , 11:15 AM

Hi Tiffany Fan,

I have one for you.....

Old sfwb56

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
sfwb56 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-07-01 , 12:49 PM

Tiffany-fan,

Why don't you buy the wedding ring that matches the tiffany engagement ring. It would have the tiffany name stamped in the ring. Could you not have a jeweler put a head on the band like on the tiffany engagement ring? Just a thought.

sfwb56

Old beatlebill

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 03-07-01 , 02:00 PM

sfwb56,
That's a very very interesting idea you have there. Can Moediamond or anyone else respond to the credibility of this?

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 03-07-01 , 03:52 PM

Hi Beatlebill,

Unfortunately, the only way possible to have the Tiffany stamp on the ring is if you only buy from tiffany.
I'm capable of putting a mounting on it, having the same exact look as the Tiffany.
I recently had someone ask me about another Tiffany ring. Since they didn't mind not having the "tiffany" stamp on it,I saved them a bundle.

You see, it depends on whether you're showing off the ring because it's a symbol of love or just because it says Tiffany on it (when no one will see unless you take it off all the time).

Just my thoughts.....

Old lisa604

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
lisa604 is on a distinguished road

Re: Hi Tiffany Fan
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 08-11-07 , 07:33 PM

Hi! i just stumbbled upon your tread... i was wondering if you still in the industry? I am looking for a lucida band myself... the rectangular setting in perticular. Do you make this at all? Pls feel free to email me lisa_lilprincess@hotmail. com. Thank you very much

lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by moediamonds
When I worked for Tiffany, about 4 years ago, they typically used only Ideal cut diamonds.
Even their little 1 point diamonds came to my office certified with 57% table and other ideal proportions.
Diamond setters, such as myself, charged Tiffany a premium because they needed perfection.
Since they were selling perfection, at a very high markup to the consumer,I had to charge a very high price.
Luckily for me, I learned everything about their designs and who they get their diamonds from and so forth.

But, it will never carry the Tiffany stamping on it. If anyone has a Tiffany stamping on it, it's been copied and that would be Illegal. Similar band with no stamp on it - legal.

When you buy from Tiffany you're supposed to get a certificate of authenticity with your purchase.

The Tiffany Lucida ring, however, is a patented name. The platinum ring nor the square radiant is patented.(Their salespeople must tell consumers that everything is patented when most is not).
Since this forum does not allow self-advertising, I cannot tell you what I have available. But you can email me if you'd like.

Old natehf

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
natehf is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 10-20-08 , 01:49 PM

I'm interested to know where I can find the Tiffany setting (6-prong) that looks exactly like the one at Tiffany's. They won't sell me just the setting. Do you have your own store/company?

Nate
Quote:

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16776, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Re: Tiffany setting question
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 10-20-08 , 01:59 PM

We carry a similar one. If you send me an e-mail I can send you some photos.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old dmnaranjo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dmnaranjo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 07-02-10 , 05:29 PM

I have no idea how to use this forum, so I hope I'm doing it correctly. I'm interested in the Tiffany 6 prong-classic setting as well. I already have a jeweler who will make the ring, but prefers not to make the head by hand. Do you have the head available for sale?

Thanks!

D

Quote:

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16776, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 07-02-10 , 05:33 PM

We sell the complete ring but not just the head alone. Let me know if you are interested.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Attached Images
EG ring.jpg EG ring 2.jpg EG ring 4.jpg EG ring 3.jpg

Old dmnaranjo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dmnaranjo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 07-02-10 , 05:37 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll have to pass, my dad is a jeweler and has always planned to make my engagement ring, so I'll just push him to make the head himself. Takes a long time, but should be do-able.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
We sell the complete ring but not just the head alone. Let me know if you are interested.

Old cluelessdiamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
cluelessdiamond is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-11-11 , 06:01 PM

So in theory, we CAN purchase the plain Tiffany wedding band from Tiffany (a lot cheaper than buying the engagement ring w/ diamond) and have a reputable jeweler (like yourself) put the 6-prong mounting on it, with my own bigger and better quality diamond?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

This way I can have the Tiffany stamp and Tiffany box but for the price of a wedding band only?

Quote:
Hi Beatlebill,

Unfortunately, the only way possible to have the Tiffany stamp on the ring is if you only buy from tiffany.
I'm capable of putting a mounting on it, having the same exact look as the Tiffany.
I recently had someone ask me about another Tiffany ring. Since they didn't mind not having the "tiffany" stamp on it,I saved them a bundle.

You see, it depends on whether you're showing off the ring because it's a symbol of love or just because it says Tiffany on it (when no one will see unless you take it off all the time).

Just my thoughts.....

Old Walrus

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Walrus is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 07-05-11 , 06:56 PM

Hi,

English newbie here! I'm sure my girlfriend will love the Tiffany setting but I know I can't afford the price of a decent one!

Anyone know where of somewhere to go this side of the pond for similar? I've got until when I propose in October (ssshhhh it's a secret!)

Thanks!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Opinions on this diamond appreciated by JimmyStokes
Up a Topic Opinions on this diamond appreciated posted in DIAMONDS by JimmyStokes
Older:
Down a Topic EGL USA vs GIA by msuc5vette
Down a Topic Newbie posted in Greet New Members by thebigone