Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Justifide

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Justifide is on a distinguished road

Need feedback for engagement ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-28-06 , 02:18 AM

I guess the best way to start is to say that i am not a person of very much means haha. i have looked thru threads here and see people scoffing at anything less than 2ct and i am quite intimidated at that prospect.

here are the details on the diamond. since i can't afford a monster sized diamond i am hoping i can at least blind her

Carat weight: 0.46 Round
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 62.2%
Table %: 56%
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.93x4.96x3.08 mm
Price: $1150

I know i could probably get more diamond by accepting a lower color or clarity grade, but (to me) that shine is where a diamond is beautiful...so i went as high as i could. i know it probably seems sad to some here but 1200 (for the rock) is about as high as i can go.

i also have the option of going with a D color but with SI1 clarity....same size and the rest of the details are pretty close....is it worth the tradeoff? or can the human eye even see the diff between D and E colors.

Let me know what you all think.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Need feedback for engagement ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-28-06 , 03:50 AM

Cut is the most important.. you could have a D color, FL, but if the cut is dodgy, then what's the point of going for a good color/clarity...

I don't think you'll see a difference between a D and an E (pros would). I think you'd be surprised at how well a G looks..

Also the better the cut, the whiter the diamond looks!!

Have you thought of going w/ one of the venders here? Good luck!

As for size? Perhaps look for a store that will do an upgrade with the stone you purchased in the past...

Old annie1

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
annie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-28-06 , 07:51 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want a D color diamond. To me, the slight color difference (which I probably couldn't tell anyway, especially after it was in the setting) isn't worth the extra cost.

I'm not going to comment on the specific quality of your stone since I'm no expert, but I wouldn't worry too much about the size. Your gf probably knows what you can afford, and wouldn't want you to do anything that would put you in an uncomfortable financial situation. For me, knowing that my bf put this much thought into it would be what was important.

Old sparkleluv

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 65
sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-28-06 , 08:01 AM

Welcome, Justifide! I'm sure you will find it friendly around here - we all love beautiful diamonds and will do our best to help you get the best you can afford. Now, as to the diamond you have asked about, have you seen it? That is the most critical thing you can do - either see it in person, or have some good digital pictures sent to you. Every diamond looks different, and you would do well to choose the one that appeals to your own eye.

As to color, cut, clarity, and carat, cut will win. A badly cut E VS2 will not look good, and a well cut G SI1 will look amazing. Again, notice that I said "look". That is what diamonds are all about - how they sparkle and flash and look terrific! Choose one that makes your eyes happy!

Check out the diamond database here, I'm sure that you will be able to find some gorgeous stones in your price range that have pictures of the actual diamonds available. I'd also recommend contacting any of the network jewelers here. Any of them would be happy to help you find a stone that fits within your budget and makes you grin!

Old Sadie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Sadie is a splendid one to behold Sadie is a splendid one to behold Sadie is a splendid one to behold Sadie is a splendid one to behold Sadie is a splendid one to behold Sadie is a splendid one to behold Sadie is a splendid one to behold Sadie is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-28-06 , 08:13 AM

First let me say that in my experience everyone on this board is wonderfully supportive and appreciative of all diamonds. My stone is neither the largest nor the smallest on these boards and I know at times I have felt funny about it (all the gals I chat with regularly have much larger stones than me) but I think those feelings are all on me, not because of anything they have said or implied.

Now, as to your situation: have you talked before about rings with your girlfriend? I understand that you might want this to be a surprise but has she ever said anything in the past about whether size is important to her? Maybe in passing after seeing a friend's ring? Size might not matter to her. I agree with Annie - she probably has an idea of what you can spend.

Furthermore, Snooper is 100% correct. Cut is KING! Not only can it make a stone look whiter, it can make it look BIGGER. So if that is important to her, cut will help make a ring appear larger.

Here is some advice from my experience. I admit, I cared about size (to a certain extent). In my area, most of the girls I know have gotten around a carat. So I wanted one too. My boyfriend and I did a lot of research and I think we got a very nice stone. I got my carat (1.02), it has a very nice cut, and is a D, SI1. But the more I have learned about diamonds, I now think that I could have gone higher in color and gotten a slightly larger stone. If I had to do it over again, I would do that. However, my boyfriend was very sensitive to color so who knows if he would have gone for that?

So if I were you and I thought my girlfriend cared at least somewhat about size, I would find the BEST cut G, SI1 stone (just an example) in a slightly larger carat than you mentioned. Believe me, if you emphasize CUT she will be blinded.

Let me also agree with Snooper's suggestion to talk to one of the vendors here. I have read many a testomonial where people talk about how these vendors found them the BEST stone in their price range. They won't pressure you to spend more.

So welcome! And good luck!

Sadie signature
"Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

PANDORA - cool, FREE way to listen to music online

The Shangri-La Diet
Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 104
LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-28-06 , 09:21 AM

Hello and welcome. All the girls have given you terrific advice. I just wanted to add that when my BF and I started looking, he was extremely color sensitive and wanted to get D color (partially because all our jeweler was showing us was D's, I's and J's). I didn't think it was worth it and pushed our jeweler to to bring in some G's and even H's. My boyfriend was able to see some difference, but not enough to make it worth sacrificing size. Afterall, when she's wearing it day to day, there won't be other stones next to it for people to compare! A well cut G is going to look very white! Also, we went for an eye clean SI2! I felt like as long as it was eye clean, that's all I needed.

Good luck with your search! Keep us all posted

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 216
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=445, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-28-06 , 10:14 AM

Welcome

I agree with what has already been posted.

D/E/F are the "colorless" group. All three are "colorless" diamonds and will be white, white, white! I honestly don't think you could tell the difference between them. And as has been mentioned, a G can be very white too.

I do think the one you posted (.46ct E VS2) for the price of $1100 sounds like a very good price for such high color and clarity. If it is cut well and sparkles a lot, then I bet it's a great stone choice!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old rexelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
rexelle is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-28-06 , 10:21 AM

Welcome Justifide !!

I don't know what more I can add to what has already been said, since everyone has said all the important stuff, save for two things ......

Firstly, I cannot tell the diference between D and E colour, and I doubt that many of us consumers can, BUT be aware that if you find a superbly cut stone of lower colour, AND IT HAS SOME FLOURESCENCE, then this can "whiten" it somewhat, sometimes as much as a couple of grades - I have a pear that GIA graded as "K" colour, but it has strong blue flourescence, and it looks every bit as white as some I've seen graded "I".

Secondly,...
If she loves you, she'd marry you if you gave her a curtain ring from WAlMArt, let alone a diamond. Twenty years ago, my ex proposed with a 0.24ct piece of ......frozen spit, ( being honest, if alittle generous! LOL!!!), so it isn't about the bling ! These days ,........I LOVE diamonds more than I did two decades ago, and I'm more financially stable and therefore am able to induge myself,.......so I have the bigger rocks AND a new fiance to doubly spoil me !! LOL!!!!
Don't sweat about what you are able to afford right now...you have the rest of your lives to spoil each other.

Enjoy finding that special stone for your girl, .....I KNOW you will get lots of encouragement and help here on DT!
Don't forget to post us pix when you get there !

Michelle

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16900, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-28-06 , 12:05 PM

Color and clarity are important and cut is certainly the key factor in sparkle. Your price is in line but we don't know what the stone that you mentioned looks like. Here is one in the same size range color, clarity and price that gets a very high light performance as an example.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/t...undidealha.html

Also if you want a larger one later on, if you go with someone that has an upgrade policy you can always go larger when you are ready.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old pandora77

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Square Emerald Cut E-Ring

My Karma
Power: 77
pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-28-06 , 10:17 PM

Justifide,

The advice you've been given here cannot be beaten! I would urge you to please contact one of the vendors here on DT, give them your max price range, and let them find you the biggest and best color diamond they can for your budget.

I have a square emerald cut that is an "I" color and I cannot see even a hint of yellow in it. As stated above, that depends on the cut. Try contacting David from "Diamonds by Lauren", Jan from "Diamond Brokers of Florida" or Barry or Judah from "Excel Diamonds". I have been a member on this board for around 6 months, and I promise they will not lead you wrong. Plus, I know that at least one has the trade up policy so that in the future, you and your beloved can upgrade to a larger stone if you so desire!

Please keep us updated on what you decide, and GOOD LUCK!!

pandora77 signature
~*~Angela~*~
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic What about insurance for fiancee s diamond while overseas by msp1518
Up a Topic What about insurance for fiancee s diamond while overseas posted in DIAMONDS by msp1518
Older:
Down a Topic Older Radiant dimensions HELP by KimberD
Down a Topic Older Radiant dimensions HELP posted in DIAMONDS by KimberD