Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old widget

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 85
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

My Mom's Asscher... redux
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-23-06 , 05:39 PM

I know there used to be a thread about this stone, but it seems to be gone.

Since there are lots of peops who may never have seen it, I get the HUGE pleasure of getting to share about it again!

My Dad bought this as an 'upgrade' for my Mom in the early '60s. He knew nothing about diamonds, but fortunately had a friend...fellow Rotarian...who was a jeweler. This guy almost insisted my Dad buy this diamond even though it was (if you can believe it) considerably 'smaller' than the upgraded honkers many of their friends were enjoying. Thank heavens my Dad followed this guy's advice!!

It had come out of an estate...probably from the twenties...simply mounted as a solitaire and small baguettes.

It is, for all intents and purposes, an "asscher", 3.91 carats. (Nobody had even heard of an 'asscher' back then, and I remember some clerk in a jewelry store telling my mom it was a cushion...times they have changed!)

Here is the only picture I have of it in its original mounting. My mom wore it 24/7....and I can't look at it today without thinking of her.

To be continued.....

widget

Attached Images
Pio9811.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
andreayung23 is on a distinguished road

Re: My Mom's Asscher... redux
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-23-06 , 06:06 PM

I was just going to say the same thing! I love the simplicity and elegance. They sure knew what they were doing in the 20's (well...with diamonds anyway...) and 3.91 cts....what a mega honker!

andreayung23 signature
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart -Confucious
Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-23-06 , 06:27 PM

Very classic! It's beautiful

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 382
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-23-06 , 06:32 PM

I just can't express enough how gorgeous it is!! Widget, do you sometimes wish you would have kept it in the original setting? I love both of the settings either way...~Ronda

Old gemologygal

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 99
gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-23-06 , 06:53 PM

What a gorgeous ring -thank you for sharing this with us!

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 168
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-23-06 , 07:04 PM

Thanks, widget!!I had missed it the first time around, so until today I didn't know that you had this stunner. It is a truly glorious ring, and also a sweet heirloom that will always remind you of your mother. Enjoy :-)

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-23-06 , 07:08 PM

...and widget, I remember from the other thread that your new mounting for the Asscher looks super, too.

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-23-06 , 07:32 PM

Thanks, you guys!

Not to worry....the original mounting is not lost. I gave it to my daughter-in-law with a garnet in it (her birthstone). She's next-in-line for the stone, and prefers the old mounting. She'll probably put the diamond back in it after I'm gone.

A couple years after my Mom died I had the stone certed and remounted with a pair of square ECs I'd found: 1.17ctw; E,F; VS-2. I think I thought it would look less "engagement-y" that way. hmmm..

I didn't know much then, and just let the jeweler go. If I had it to do over again, it wouldn't be mounted so high!

Here are a bunch of pictures, along a portion of the cert. (hope the stats are legible...)

Attached Images
GIA90.jpg 076gr430.JPG 000_2454.jpg 000_2460.jpg 000_2443.JPG

Old annie1

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
annie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-23-06 , 07:37 PM

Great ring Widget! It's wonderful to have such good memories attached to such an amazing stone.

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-23-06 , 07:38 PM

....two more pics for fun...

The obligatory flower shot, of course; and a fun pic showing the high crown of this old stone.

Thanks for looking!
widget

Attached Images
000_2474.jpg 000_2904.jpg

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 154
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-23-06 , 10:10 PM

Wow Widget - I just realised I was staring....

That is a gorgous stone..and family history on a piece always makes it so special!

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 214
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=432, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-23-06 , 10:32 PM

OH, now that I see the profile view, I think I have seen this before. But not sure.

In any case, it's DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! And has such a wonderful history to it.

I think it's just fabulous and amazing!! Congrats for being one of the lucky ladies to own it and be able to pass it down.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow Emerald Cut Diamond

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
Power: 152
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-24-06 , 03:14 AM

All I can say is that is really gorgeous! And, I agree that the fact that it has such a lovely history to go with it makes it even better.

Old abcm1125

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Yellow Diamond E-Ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 71
abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-25-06 , 12:29 AM

I love that diamond. It is amazing that there were asshers that old. I guess much hasn't really changed, just became more popular. I wish there was a nice stone to pass down in our family!

abcm1125 signature
Amber

I love my USMC pilot
Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Anklet

My Karma
Power: 127
briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-09-06 , 10:22 AM

Wow. That's definitely an heirloom. Just HUGE and amazing. What an impressive ring.

Old diadiva

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 77
diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future diadiva has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-15-06 , 07:00 AM

I've told you this before when you posted on PS but I must tell you again....That is a gorgeous ring!!!!

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 05-15-06 , 01:41 PM

Cough! Splutter! Faint...........thud! I am so jealous it's not even funny............!!!!!!!! !

Old rexelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 57
rexelle is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 05-15-06 , 04:57 PM

Thank you for posting it again - it's so beautiful !!! And that way, everyone else gets to see it again, and us 'newer' Dters get to drool, too.
A spectacular stone, widget,............you lucky girl !!

Michelle

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 09-07-06 , 09:55 PM

Hee hee..."pressure" from certain folks on Snooper's Ering thread (and my big mouth) has forced me to resurrect this thread and 'fess up' to my latest project.

If you read between the lines in my posts above, I've NEVER been happy with the mounting of my Mom's stone.

But several months ago I went to a gathering of Bay Area jewelry buffs and "not happy with" turned into HATE! I fell in love with everyone else's lovely, delicate mountings, and was appalled at how clunky and high and unwieldy mine looked.

Then I saw this picture...that cinched it! There's my honker in the middle, looking like a brass knuckle or something, amongst all the other beautiful delicate bling!

Attached Images
bling3.jpg

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 09-07-06 , 10:02 PM

Oh but it is oh so stately Widget! Gosh look at all those glorious jewels! I feel like I would be out of my league with all you Bay area gals!! That is fun that you had a get together to oooh and aaah at all your gorgeous jewels! ~Ronda

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 09-07-06 , 10:05 PM

Sooooo...I went home and almost immediately called Leon Mege and cried: "Help!"

This has been in the works now for over a month. Like Snooper, I simply wanted a similar three-stone basket mounting, but this time with the stones mounted close to the finger, as delicately as possible.

Well, it's finally done! Here are two pictures Leon sent me. I'm ASTONISHED at how much better the same three stones look in the new mounting!!!

I'm expecting delivery of the ring on Monday morning. I'm DYING to see it in real life!!! If I don't come back on monday with new pictures, you can assume that it didn't arrive, and I've killed myself from frustration!! LOL

widge

Attached Images
IMG_2161a.jpg IMG_2158a.jpg

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 09-07-06 , 10:14 PM

Oh Widget...Now I understand what you were saying. Leon's work is incredible and your ring and Snoopers proves it! It's just breathtaking! I don't think there are enough compliments to give it! It has become one of my new favorites!! It Is STUNNING!!! Your mom would be so proud! ~Ronda

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 09-07-06 , 10:16 PM

Wowza. widget--I love it!!!
Great choice!!
Sending good vibes your way for a speedy delivery :-)

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 154
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 09-07-06 , 10:17 PM

Gosh Widget...that's amazing!! I love the new setting. What a fab heirloom to have.

Now don't hold out on us with the handshots when the ring arrives

Old AZsparkleGal

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 09-07-06 , 11:31 PM

Oh widget thats soooooooo beautiful.. I remember in your post where you said that the original setting you could drive a truck through it....but this, this is magnificent..i cant wait for your pictures and hand shots...that leon does some incredible work!

Read Messages in: Diamonds Photo Gallery All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Diamond crystal inclusion by ErikCarlsonGG
Up a Topic A near catastrophe posted in Bench Work by auplatinumman
Older:
Down a Topic Post your favorite diamond look by KITTYKITTY
Down a Topic Jan is making my future DIL s engagement ring posted in DIAMONDS by Sapphireangel