Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old jjm

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jjm is on a distinguished road

Cushion with or without halo?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-23-06 , 08:56 AM

In motion to be pulling the trigger on getting a ring for the gf.......have looked at
all sorts of rings......she loves the cushion cut with the micro pave setting......but all the rings we saw like that had the halo if diamonds around.....was wondering what people think of that (she is leaning against it) and if people have pics of both......thx alot folks for any help u can give me

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old gemologygal

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 89
gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Re: Cushion with or without halo?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-23-06 , 09:52 AM

I think cushions with the micopave or halo look are very pretty and in fact, I have one picture saved in my files because I toyed around with the idea of switching from wanting a cushion with pear sidestones, and instead favoring the following picture. The halo effect gives the appearance of a larger look against the hand, which is not too bad if the stone size can be a bit smaller.

Old gemologygal

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 89
gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-23-06 , 09:52 AM

omg - sorry for the image being too large, LOL

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 75
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-23-06 , 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm
....halo of diamonds....was wondering what people think of that (she is leaning against it) [/b][/i]

I think in the end it's what SHE likes best that counts!

Call me old fashioned (not hard to do...I'm OLD), but for an ER I usually prefer center stones without halos. I like the more classic look, and wonder if such a mounting is more durable for everyday wear.

What size cushion are you getting? One great advantage of a halo is that it "blings up" a smaller stone...

JMO
widget

Here's a "non-halo" cushion ring from DBL that I love...

Attached Images
11lo9.jpg

Old rexelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
rexelle is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-23-06 , 11:30 AM

I'm with Widget,......In the end, it is what SHE likes best that counts.
I would go with the largest cushion that met my criteria, that had beautiful cut, and was within my budget. You can always add a nicer mounting, sidestones, or whatever at a later date - possibly even as an anniversary gift, which would be an easy one to do, and she could then help select that.

But I do love the yellow cushion posted above,..............DBL does it again.

Have fun finding the right stone, and remember - you've already done the hard part, finding the right girl!

Michelle.

Old jjm

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

thx for all the responses please keep the good advice coming!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-23-06 , 12:24 PM

looking for something around the 2 carat range........was curious also what settings go best with a cushion......i (she actually) was thinking basket setting with a mini pave band.......but if other settings go better with a cushion i am all ears....thx again....looking forward to reading the replies!

Old rexelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
rexelle is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-23-06 , 12:40 PM

Does this one have to be "THE ONE" for all time, or will she ever get and upgrade on the stone and/or mounting?
If you don't know how you or she feels about this , ASK HER. Some of us like to upgrade, potentialy at a later date, and some of us don't,............it's a very personnal thing.
Really, the more you talk to her about what she wants, the more you will find you know what to get her, and you'll then be confident that she'll LOVE her ring.

If it were me, I'd go with an antique-looking mounting, fairly simple/small stones micro'ed for the band/basket low and possibly side set with extra tiny diamonds, and get her a beautifully cut cushion, and put the majority of the money towards the stone. An extremely well cut stone will look fantastic in whatever you choose, whether simple or ornate !
BUT ASK HER - it's her opinion that counts !!!!!!!!!

Good luck,

Michelle

Old jjm

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

I have a pretty good idea what I'm looking for however...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-23-06 , 02:05 PM

She has actually given me a pretty good description of what she wants,however, we have actually never tried on a ring that fits her description just something a bit similar (tiffany legacy with halo and pave setting).... she was not crazy about how high up the ring sat on her finger so I am wondering does the basket setting sit pretty close to the band... is it a pretty low setting???... does anyone have pics of a cushion (set by itself) on a pave band?? thanks for the help!!!

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 158
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-23-06 , 03:11 PM

I agree with the others--it's what she wants that counts.
Personally, I very much like the look of a halo setting. It frames the center stone and gives an antique look. I don't like any settings which sit up too high off the finger, though.
Just my opinion, but I think it's best when you have a setting with many tiny stones such as pave or micropave, to choose platinum for your metal. That way, much less upkeep, lost stones, retipping, etc.

Old jjm

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Yup thx webGal....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-23-06 , 05:04 PM

Yes... that setting looks like the one we tried and she felt it was too high.. so thats why I was thinking pave band with basket setting I think it will be lower... however... like I mentioned I really don't know because I actually have never really seen it that way.. anyone have input on this? any pictures of something like that?

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic I am new here looking for an engagement ring need help by Cody2005
Up a Topic I am new here looking for an engagement ring need help posted in DIAMONDS by Cody2005
Older:
Down a Topic diamond certificates by dr123
Down a Topic diamond certificates posted in DIAMONDS by dr123