Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old lplate

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
lplate is on a distinguished road

2 carat blue sapphire advice please
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-22-06 , 02:15 AM

Hi all,

I have a few potentially difficult/complex questions in regard gems I hope you can advise on.

Firstly a family member wishes to purchase a good light blue sapphire of 2 carats (loose stone) I would appreciate knowing around what constitutes a good price? I deal with a huge Asian diamond store (outside US) and one of the managers is a friend of my girlfriend, so we get a 50 % reduction on the ticket price of any loose gem stone for sale.

Although this sounds good it doesn't neccessarily mean to me that the quality is good to start with and prices are hard to hold objectively apples to aplles. Therefore, I would like to know what a good middle of the road solid sapphire of this weight should be, say if I was buying from one of you guys?

When I first asked about a light stone of this weight she told me that it is increasingly difficult to get value from Ceylon purchases and were now very expensive, but recommended I had a look at the next batch from Madagascar they were receiving and see if there was anything I liked.

They don't appear to use certification on Gemstones other than their diamonds (GIA) and I don't really know what constitutes a nice solid buy anyway. Grading to me is not as easy as the 4 c's in diamonds to at least get some basic feel for a stone's quality.

My other question is in regard a pink Marquise sapphire. Weight of about 0.8 with the same questions really as above! In regard this stone she told me that they are not a particularly easy cut to obtain in this size and gem but would contact their supplier.

The manager is very helpful and very nice so I don't wish to criticize her, but most of their business is from tourists who buy on impulse and with the huge number of items sold and turned over I wonder how high quality/value really is.

Your comments/help would be geatly appreciated.

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old annie1

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
annie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Referrals: 1

Re: 2 carat blue sapphire advice please
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-22-06 , 02:59 AM

I can't really offer any advice about your particular situation, but here is a rather lengthy thread about telling a quality sapphire:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/t...sapphire .html

I'm sure it won't answer your questions exactly, but it will give you something to read while everyone else here in the states is sleeping. I'm sure more people will speak up later today.

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 65
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-22-06 , 11:04 AM

Hi, Iplate!

In general, lighter blue sapphires command lower prices than more saturated ones, and I've heard that the prices of pinks are going up.

Not much help, am I?

I think the most important thing to know in judging a sapphire's value is what kind of treatment/enhancement it has undergone. Apparently fracture filling and Beryllium treatments are to be avoided. Certified untreated stones are the most costly.

Are you in Asia? I've heard that you can have a stone checked in a reputable Bangkok lab (AIGS or GIT, for example) for as little as $20.00!!

That sure sounds like a good 'investment' to me!

(JMO....I'm not an expert)

Good luck!
widget

Old lplate

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
lplate is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-23-06 , 03:05 AM

Hi Widget,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting in what you say about colour I thought it the complete opposite. but now very little of gem stones. I read the thread that Annie recommended which helped a little. Thank you Annie.

The member of my family who wants the blue sapphire prefers light stones to dark, and after discussing this yesterday with the dealer it is pretty much the trend in their mega store too. They simply can't shift darkish or dark stones now and haven't oredered any for months- but maybe it's a preference of Asian customers more so ? I have to agree I'm the same though darkish gems do nothing for me either.

In regard the certification (obviously due to lower Asian labour rates at present I suspect) they are very cheap to get certificated that is true but I'm not sure it's quite as low as $20!!

I hope one of the heavy weights here will add a reply if they've time.

Bye for now.

Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Nothing at all

My Karma
Power: 48
phoenix will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-21-06 , 08:17 PM

the best thing to know when bying colored gems stones is get an education about the particular stone you are interested in. In colored stones you can apply the same standards to each mineral. For example Emerald is not held to the same "clarity" standards as most colored stone are because such a high percentage has promonent inclusions.

For Sapphire, there is a happy medium when judgeing color. Most peaple think the darker the stone the better. That is not the case and especially when talking about sapphire. There are alot of very inexpensive blue sapphires that have such a dark tone they can appear black in all but the strongest lights. In the same note if you can find a stone with a medium to vivid saturation and a medium to light tone the stone will probubly not be cheap. Just keep in mind that there are alot of sapphires on the market today that are very (too) dark. Try to pick a stone that will show good color in all light. When looking at alot of gems try to keep focused on what you are looking for and dont just settle for the best of what you are being shown.

Another thinG to note when looking at sapphires is that they are commonly zoned. If your not farmilliar with this term, it means there are "zones" or layers of color and no color, color and no color. This is not a big deal if from face up the color of the stone looks saturated accross the entire stone.

One of the best ways to see the stones true color and clarity charicteristics is to look at the stone from the back through the pavillion. If you veiw the stone from this direction is turns off the optical affects of the factes and lets you see what the stone really looks like.

the final work should alway be what the stone looks like from the face up position.

Hope this helps

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Pearl question by chelegirly
Up a Topic Hello all posted in Greet New Members by GalaxyGems
Older:
Down a Topic Anyone know what these stones are by iceblink
Down a Topic Holy Grail of Golden Star Rutile posted in Gemstones Photo Gallery by GalaxyGems