Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Jill67

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Marc Williams RHR

My Karma
Power: 78
Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of

Can anyone recommend a digital camera?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-21-06 , 10:51 AM

Hi All,

I just got some birthday $$, and I'm now shopping for a good digital camera to take nice close-up pix of my jewelry, as well as the usual family pix. Can anyone tell me if you have such a camera, for around $300? Until now, I've gotten so-so pix with my kids' digital cams. I had to have my sister photograph my latest ring for DT posts. Her camera is too pricey and bulky for me. What I'm hoping to find is a smallish one, good for travel as well as these incredible close-ups everyone posts...

Thanks, Jill

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16842, In=5945
Referrals: 24

Re: Can anyone recommend a digital camera?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-21-06 , 12:32 PM

Hi Jill,
We use a Nikon Coolpix 995. It's not the easiest camera in the world to use but takes pretty nice pictures.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old pandora77

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Square Emerald Cut E-Ring

My Karma
Power: 75
pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-21-06 , 05:19 PM

I got a Kodak EasyShare 5 megapixel camera with a 10x zoom. It's easy to use and was around $300. It makes great pictures, although I haven't figured out how to take great ring/diamond pictures yet.

pandora77 signature
~*~Angela~*~
Old colormyworld

My Profile

Years:
Last seen wearing: A smile from ear to ear

My Karma
Power: 0
colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute

Taking good close up photos
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-21-06 , 05:40 PM

Jill 67 the more MP will allow you to print larger size pictures with finer detail. 5 MP is a good start. I myself have a canon S2IS and I love it. Pandora with a 10x zoom you could try backing off about 7 or 8 feet and zooming in. Then blow it up on the computer. You may need a tripod to keep the camera steady though.

Old pandora77

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Square Emerald Cut E-Ring

My Karma
Power: 75
pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future pandora77 has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-21-06 , 05:44 PM

Thanks for the great tips!! I'll definately try that out!!

pandora77 signature
~*~Angela~*~
Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-21-06 , 09:34 PM

I have a canon A610, and it is under $300, great pictures, but as pandora pointed out, I too have yet to figure out how to take good pictures of diamonds...

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 154
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-23-06 , 07:43 PM

I've got a 5 megapixel camera....and i've been happy with it for nearly 2 years now. It's a D'Image G600 and works great. I don't know that the software that comes with it is ideal, but it was a gift. So I am not complaining. It's got lots of functions (movie, sound) and you can mess with the shutter speed and aperture - not to the same extent as with an SLR, but more than a regular digital. Of course, messing with those functions is a bit fiddly. My next camera has to be a digital SLR.

I use the macro function to get close shots of things. I find using macro and zoom together is a mistake though.....I set it to macro and just take the camera really close to the object. I also turn the flash off as the camera tends to be far too close with the macro function on.

Ok, sometimes I use the flash in very low light with good results, but it does tend to change the colour of the fungus. Yes, I photograph lots of fungus, and orchids, not quite diamonds. But I would imagine the principles of photographing something that is very small are similar?

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-23-06 , 07:53 PM

I meant to say, DiMage is from Konica Minolta and I think they currently run about $400 US.

And it's 6mpx, not 5.

Old colormyworld

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute colormyworld has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-23-06 , 10:30 PM

Hi RubyMu.
With my canon I find I can get good close-ups with just the zoom in auto. In the macro mode the camera is so close to the object it blocks out the light. This is a pic of a red labradorite taken with zoom.

Attached Images
IMG_2182_1_1.JPG

Old colormyworld

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-23-06 , 10:53 PM

Oops just noticed this is the diamond photo gallery. I am using the pic as an example.

Old Jill67

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of Jill67 has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-26-06 , 05:20 PM

Thanks everyone! DH and I went out and bought a Canon PowerShot SD450, for $300. It is 5 mp, and has a macro function. It gets pretty good shots of my rings, but I have to steady it on a surface or they come out blurry. I may have to use a tripod. It also takes good pix of the family, so I'm happy.

RubyMu, which fungi do you photograph? Sounds interesting. Reminds me of a funny story: One day, a mushroom went into a bar, sat down, and began pouring out his heart to the bartender. He had a hard time getting dates. "I don't know why," he lamented, "I'm a fungi!"

I couldn't resist.

Jill

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-26-06 , 08:55 PM

We have lots of fungi and native orchids on our property. I love to go out walking and snap what I find. There are some bizarre thing at our house - mushrooms that look like they are out of Alice in Wonderland. I am not so good with the fungi identification - I've scampered through a few mycology books, but still find it very hard to make identifications.

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-26-06 , 08:56 PM

Oh, Jill, congratulations on the camera!

Digital cameras are such fun. I used it the other day when I was pulling apart the printer...just to be sure that all the screws went back in the right place. Very useful too.

Old Jill67

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 04-28-06 , 08:41 AM

Those Alice-in-Wonderland mushrooms sound so neat! Do you have a website that shows your pix?

Good idea to document your printer parts. I'll have to mention that to my dh.

Jill

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-30-06 , 08:37 PM

Yeah, the digital is great for 'documenting' things. I take a picture of the guide board at the start of a bushwalk so we don't get lost.

Well, I was thinking about putting the fungus on the web, but I figured that most people (besides me of course) are not really that interested in fungus!

I don't have that many here at work, but here is my favourite of the ones that are here...pretty cool hey.

Attached Images
Fungus fluffysmall.jpg Fungus red small.jpg

Old Jill67

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-02-06 , 10:25 AM

Those are neat! Isn't God's creation amazing? (esp precious gems, LOL!)

I used my new camera (Canon PowerShot SD450 aka "Tiny-Mighty") to take these pix last night, under my pink and white dogwood trees, around 5pm. I find that's the best lighting ever. What do y'all think?

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Attached Images
Ring 2006 012.jpg Ring 2006 010.jpg

Old Jill67

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 05-02-06 , 10:31 AM

a couple more

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Attached Images
Ring 2006 013.jpg Ring 2006 001.jpg

Old Jill67

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 05-02-06 , 10:43 AM

Hmmm... I'm not really happy with the way these look here on diamondtalk. I had to crop, resize, and resize them again to get the DT site to accept them. They look much crisper on my own pc, before being modified. Oh well. I'm still happy with my new little camera. Maybe I'll learn how to post them better over time...

Jill

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 381
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 05-02-06 , 11:00 AM

They look great! You can really see the details on your ring!~Ronda

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-02-06 , 08:11 PM

Jill,

Those pictures look great! You can see heaps of detail...and they aren't fuzzy or anything. I say you've done an excellent job!

Old Jill67

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 05-02-06 , 10:38 PM

Thanks, gals, I guess they came out pretty well after all. They're just so big. I can't figure out how to make them smaller, like about 1/2 to 2/3 the sizes they are.

Jill

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-03-06 , 06:37 PM

There is a free program called Ifranview that you can download from http://www.irfanview.com/

It is a viewer, and it allows you to resize pictures with a click of a button.

The software that came with your camera should also do that kind of thing too.

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7831, In=1682
Referrals: 18

Irfanview
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-03-06 , 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyMu
There is a free program called Ifranview that you can download from http://www.irfanview.com/

It is a viewer, and it allows you to resize pictures with a click of a button.

The software that came with your camera should also do that kind of thing too.

Yes, I love Irfanview for the little things, it works great.

GilbertZ signature
Old Jill67

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-11-06 , 12:35 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out if I can't figure out how to make my own software work. Here are some outside hand shots I got tonight, around 5pm. The first 4 were taken in the shade, and the last in full sun.

Jill

Jill67 signature
Psalm 103
Attached Images
Ring 2006 HS032.jpg Ring 2006 HS033.jpg Ring 2006 030.jpg Ring 2006 HS036.jpg Ring 2006 HS050.jpg

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 05-11-06 , 12:40 AM

Some of those are very very good Jill..looks like you are getting the hang of your camera!

Such a lovely ring...sigh...

Read Messages in: Diamonds Photo Gallery All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Look what I did to my champagne pear by SweetPeas
Up a Topic Hi posted in Greet New Members by rosemisty92
Older:
Down a Topic My new Emerald Cut by redraider
Down a Topic Blood Diamond screened in Freetown for the first time posted in DIAMONDS by GilbertZ