Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old vel525

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
vel525 is on a distinguished road

Hello and Thank You
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-18-06 , 10:42 AM

Hi,

All I can say is THANK YOU!! I happened on this site during my process of purchasing an engagement ring and the amount of information on DT has been wonderful. Although this is my first post, I have already spent several hours reading. So far I have been able to answer all my questions from prior thread. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

Victor

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: My game-face
Visit my blog :

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 150
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=3

Re: Hello and Thank You
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-18-06 , 10:53 AM

Hi Victor -

What a nice thing to come out and say! We appreciate it very much, and are happy to hear about new members can find the answers they seek from past threads.

Even though you found out what you're looking for, may I ask what your subject matter was, and what you we able to conclude? I'm very curious...

Thank you again for your nice words. Post a question if you have any others that weren't able to be answered.

yogimel signature
1. NO MARVELING AT NATURE
2. NO UNSUPERVISED READING

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old vel525

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
vel525 is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello and Thank You
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-18-06 , 11:47 AM

Well I had a couple questions...and my conclusions.
1. The risk of buying a certified versus non-certified?
I think buying non-certified is okay, but you should get it certified either on your own or through the jewler at your cost. It seem the increase in price of a certified diamond is bigger than the actualy cost of certificate, so it makes sense to buy a non-certified diamond as long as the seller is willing to do something for you if the certificate shows something very different from what you were told.
2. The reputation of the various certifying institutes?
It seems that GIA, AGS, and even PGS are respected and consistent. EGL appears to be more controversial than the others. I went with PGS because it's in Chicago and turn around time was quicker.
3. Platinum versus gold?
I just needed to learn the pros and cons of each metal. I ended going platinum.
4. Cost of getting certification and inscription?
The jeweler quoted me $200 more than the actual cost and I called him out on it after reading some prior threads and visiting the certifying institutes website. He is doing it for me at cost.
5. Independent appraisal?
It seems very important to get an independent appraisal. Even better if the appraisor doesn't sell jewlery. I am planning on doing this.

These are some of my recent topics I explored on DT, but of course I did some reading about the importance of the characteristics of the diamond. It's been a process but I think it was worth it.

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Hello everyone by DiamondsBazaar
Up a Topic Help me choose a diamond now posted in DIAMONDS by AnnemarieDelga
Older:
Down a Topic Take Time by pmk1959
Down a Topic 16 arrows diamond posted in DIAMONDS by gelatii