Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Daniela7474

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Daniela7474 is infamous around these parts Daniela7474 is infamous around these parts

The "Eighty-Eight" Diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-03-06 , 08:34 PM

I have a question about the "eighty eight" diamond.

Did it get this name because it has 88 facets?

And what are the advantages/disadvantages to this kind of RB versus a traditional 58 facet diamond?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 37
Merv is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=167, In=0
Referrals: 1

Re: The "Eighty-Eight" Diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-04-06 , 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniela7474

And what are the advantages/disadvantages to this kind of RB versus a traditional 58 facet diamond?

where did they put the extra facets

Daniela a fully jeweled watch requires seven jewels as bearings all the rest is for show.

A fully fashioned Round Brilliant diamond has 58 facets unless you count all the tiny ones around the girdle on those that are cut with girdles that are too thick (which is a great place to retain weight) so they put them there to conceal the thick gray ring when viewed from the table up position.

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 134
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-04-06 , 01:00 AM

Hi Daniela

I am no expert, but the 88 has 88 facets. I am not exactly sure what Merv is trying to say above, but my understanding is that it is not a 'round' but a modified round, more an octagonal shape.

There is some eastern 'mythology' (for want of a better word) that says 8 and 88 and combinations of 8 (ie 888 and 8888 etc) are lucky or bring good fortune.

But I think itís like any other 'branded' diamond in that it potentially short lived. How long are they going to make the 88, and what sort of a market will there be for it in say, 5 years if you ever need to sell the diamond.

I'd stick with a traditional shape personally, but it's up to you!

Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 37
Merv is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=167, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-04-06 , 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyMu
Hi Daniela

I am no expert, but the 88 has 88 facets. I am not exactly sure what Merv is trying to say above, but my understanding is that it is not a 'round' but a modified round, more an octagonal shape.

There is some eastern 'mythology' (for want of a better word) that says 8 and 88 and combinations of 8 (ie 888 and 8888 etc) are lucky or bring good fortune.

But I think itís like any other 'branded' diamond in that it potentially short lived. How long are they going to make the 88, and what sort of a market will there be for it in say, 5 years if you ever need to sell the diamond.

I'd stick with a traditional shape personally, but it's up to you!

Ruby

thirty facets around the girdle plus the fifty-eight to make a Round Brilliant yields, according to my math 88. I'm sorry that I confused you.

Merv

Old justloveit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
justloveit is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-14-08 , 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniela7474

It has 88 specially cut facets, with 8 sides and is not a round with extra cuts; from Finesse Jewelers in NYC and sold by Diamonds International. I've had mine for quite awhile and still LOVE it! Even people that have commented on its brilliance and beauty before, repeat their comments because it always catches their eye. I would never trade it for another cut, just to upsize to a larger one, of course!

Old rte592

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 25
rte592 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-14-08 , 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justloveit
It has 88 specially cut facets, with 8 sides and is not a round with extra cuts; from Finesse Jewelers in NYC and sold by Diamonds International. I've had mine for quite awhile and still LOVE it! Even people that have commented on its brilliance and beauty before, repeat their comments because it always catches their eye. I would never trade it for another cut, just to upsize to a larger one, of course!

88 facets should catch/return more light....Mutch like the Movado diamond line 114 facet cut diamonds.

Old maimae

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
maimae is infamous around these parts maimae is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-06-10 , 09:00 PM

guys thanks for sharing the info. i have that same question in my mind. good thing you're there to share your knowledge. thanks!

Old shireeodiz

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
shireeodiz will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-07-10 , 11:35 AM

The 88 diamond does indeed have 88 facets. As far as producing a diamond like this from rough, it is more expensive per carat, as there is more waste of the raw diamond to cut off more facets. There are also rounds with 100 facets and the claim is that there are more facets and therefore more brilliance and sparkle. I believe this is more of a marketing ploy than science. The ideal cut brilliant (Tolkowsky) seems to be the standard for the best proportions of a diamond - taking into account more important factors such as depth, polish, symmetry and table. His calculations were for the 58 facet brilliant cut.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Happy Holidays by maven
Up a Topic Happy Holidays posted in DIAMONDS by maven
Older:
Down a Topic What do you think of clarity enhanced diamonds by shireeodiz
Down a Topic What do you think of clarity enhanced diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by shireeodiz