Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 16chez21

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
16chez21 is on a distinguished road

To GIA or not to GIA....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-14-06 , 05:05 PM

Hello All. I am new this space, but have been lurking for a while. Thanks for the help.

So, I have been looking for a while now. I have looked in the big guys in and around Boston (longs, barmakian, descenza, etc). However, I have chosen to go with a local jeweler whom my family has known and trusted for 50 years. This particular jeweler also has a store in the jewelers building, which makes me feel good.

Anyway, I have narrowed down the search and I think I have found "IT". 1.22 RB, H Color, VS2, very good cut, according to my jeweler, whom I trust. The stone looks great and has no eye visible inclusions. In addition, I have looked at it under 10x and cannot identify any isses (although I have no clue what I am doing). However, the stone is not GIA. I know what all of your opinions are concerning GIA and their ability, respect in the indistry. My question is are they necessary when dealing with a jeweler who you actually trust?

Also, I was wondering how I would go about getting the stone GIA? Or if an appraisal will confirm my jewelers assesment.

I have no reason to think that he is not being up front, however, two heads are better than one.

I would appreciate any help...

Rich

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old 16chez21

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: To GIA or not to GIA....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-14-06 , 05:33 PM

That is good to know. Do you know how long that process would take? Cost?

Old denverappraiser

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all
Hits: Out=1199, In=28

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-15-06 , 08:40 AM

Chez,

Here is a link to GIA's current fee structure. Don't forget to include shipping if you don't happen to live in their neighborhood (NYC or Carlsbad CA). With the current backlog it will take a few weeks after they receive it. It's worth noting that they will only examine unmounted stones so if you decide do do this, do it before it's set. The jeweler is probably experienced in working with them and the shipping/insurance issues so most people find it works best to just let them do it.

If you are looking for a second set of eyes to confirm what your jeweler has told you and to see if anything important was omitted from the presentation, you may be better off working with a local independent appraiser.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-15-06 , 09:02 AM

Definitely get a lab report by GIA: 212-221-5858 for more info on how to submit.

A GIA lab grading report is a plus for your diamond. Base your purchase price on their color/clarity/cut grade.

If their color grade comes back as an "I" you can save some money. Their Cut Grade designation will be valuable to you as well.

Old 16chez21

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-15-06 , 09:30 AM

Thanks for all of your help. I will do some research and make a decision.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-15-06 , 03:46 PM

I just wanted to add that I think if you truely trust the jeweler, then a GIA report is strictly personal preference. Of course, we just recently saw a thread about a person who purchased a diamond from a jeweler who was a friends friend, and now has issues with the stone. So....... it depends on how much you trust your jeweler. Do you think he is being as strict as GIA might be?

David at DBL sells many stones which do not have GIA reports. But the regulars here know that he really does know what he's doing. As well as do most of the other regular vendors here.

Having said that, GIA recently reduced thier fees, so having it done is less costly now than it was just a few months ago. And if you'd like, you can have it laser inscribed for your added securtiy and insurance purposes. And of course, it will help in selling it or trading it in later down the road if that's a possibility.

If it were me, I'd do it.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old 16chez21

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-15-06 , 03:56 PM

Rhonda

I had not even considered the security and insurance benefits. Will I be able to get insurance on an non-GIA stone?

As I have said before, I really do trust the guy. I am not exactly sure what the GIA standards are, but I do trust that he has given me his honest professional opinion (those two words seem to but heads a little!). I will have to marinate on that for a day or so.

I have the time as the mock up will not be done until next week.

Thanks.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-15-06 , 04:29 PM

16chez, yes you can get insurance on a non GIA graded diamond! It depends on the details of the policy you choose. But if you pick one that gives you a "like replacement" instead of just cashing out, you'd be better off having a GIA report on file for the lost/damaged stone. That way you'd be able to get a true "like replacement" instead of a diamond that another jeweler has guessed at the grade at. Does that make sense?

I say this because if there's one thing I've learned from hanging around here, it's that one man's H/I another man's F/G. Grading is subjective and I've heard way too many stories about a diamond being sold as a specific color/clarity grade but in fact it was graded lower by GIA.

I've also learned that jumping between color and clarity grades means price differences! Even just a grade or so off and it does make a difference. Like Barry said above.. if it's GIA graded an "I", then you should pay a little less for it.

But it's all just a matter of what you're comfortable with. If you love it and have confidence in who you're dealing with, and really don't want the extra cost of the report, then just enjoy your sparklie!!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-15-06 , 04:32 PM

AFter reading my post above, I realized that I should clarify that I am NOT an expert in anything jewelry related!! I didn't want to come off that way. Just a consumer who loves all things sparkly and who has been reading this forum for quite a while.

You should consult the "experts" for expert opinion!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old 16chez21

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-15-06 , 04:40 PM

DiamLady,
Thanks. I understand the difference. If the cost really is only 200 or so, then I will request it.
I really like the stone and would only be ordering the gia for insurance, resale purposes.

I have looked at the stone 4 times in 4 different lighting surroundings. Each time it looks great. I have compared the color to the jewelers graded comp set. I think it looks pretty dam white. As for clarity, I have used the loop and cannot see anything. He pointed out a tiny feather like structure on the outer edge, but I cannot pick it up. I guess that is what really counts. How does it look.

Thanks

Can not wait to post pix on here.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-15-06 , 11:58 PM

Trust in your jeweler is good. A GIA lab report is better and is icing on the cake, serving you in good stead down the road if you want to sell, upgrade, or G-D forbid your diamond is lost or stolen and you seek replacement.

Your Insurance company will put more credence in what the GIA report has to say than undocumented heresay from your friendly neighborhood jeweler.

Spend the 200 bucks. It will pay off in the long run.

Old waynek

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
waynek is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-21-06 , 11:43 PM

I agree with Barry, you should always get a grading certificate with a diamond.

It is worthwhile even if just for your insurance company. At least, if you lose the diamond, you get back a comparable stone.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Finding Ring Idea by felmingham
Up a Topic My new e ring posted in Jewelry Photo Gallery by tombomb36
Older:
Down a Topic New Purchase Expert Opinions Welcome by b0r0din
Down a Topic Some help with pave please posted in JEWELRY by BrookeH