Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old HNg

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
HNg is on a distinguished road

E-ring Setting Help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-27-06 , 03:02 PM

I am in the market for a new e-ring setting and need your opinions. My original e-ring was pretty classic, consisting of a round center stone (1.09 ct.) (basket set, four prong) flanked by two 0.14 ct. (bar set?) tapered baguettes on either side. The band of the ring was pretty thin, approx. 2.0-2.5 mm in width. My wedding band is also quite thin, and is a half round of small (maybe 0.15-0.2 cts) round stones that are shared prong set. I was married in July 05 and shortly afterwards, within two months or so, I began to notice that there was a lot of wear on the prong area of my engagement ring. Basically the reason for this was because the sides of the diamonds on the wedding band were rubbing against the prongs of my e-ring. I finally couldn’t take it anymore and sent the rings back to my jeweler (there was so much wear on the rings after the last 7 months) , who explained that it was because the ‘shank’ of the ring was so thin and that it was causing the prong area to be exposed to the wedding band. The solution he has come up with is to widen the shank, and to add another baguette, so there are now two tapered baguettes on either side.

I think I am fine with the solution (though would appreciate your thoughts) however as I was surfing the internet to see comparable settings, I came across a couple of settings like the one below which had additional round side stones after the baguettes. I thought that adding the side round stones would help the wedding band and e-ring match better. I would have the rounds set in the same setting (i.e. shared prong) as my erring. Problem is, I am just not sure what the end result is going to look like. I haven’t seen anything similar in the jewellery stores here in Toronto. I do like the antique style rings (Edwardian era rings), however not with as much detail as say Tacori settings. My objective is to keep the ring looking delicate with clean lines, not overly busy or ostentatious.

Anyway, so the picture below is the closest to what I could find. What do you guys think? You’ll have to imagine a basket setting for the center stone and without the 'surprise' bezel set diamond. The round side stones would be in a shared prong setting. I find the setting for the round side stones in the picture a bit messy.

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Sear...sp? sSKU=82357

Or if anyone has a comparable setting, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for all your help.

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: E-ring Setting Help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-28-06 , 04:19 AM

I can relate with the wear and tear of the bands rubbing. My wedding band was in a bar setting, rounds alternating w/ a baguette (eternity)... I couldn't stand the 'wear' (not a patina) so I had my band remade into a channel setting, and there SOOOOOOOOOOOO much less wear and tear...

I like the setting you posted by the way... Good luck... Not sure if I helped, but being it's 3:24 AM I should be in bed!

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Need advice on my wedding band by jokerselsa
Up a Topic Insurance outside USA please help posted in Appraisal & Insurance by gonguta
Older:
Down a Topic Some have mentioned about bargaining on the price of a job by pffman
Down a Topic Jewelers Security Alliance Opens New Diamond Website for Consumers and Trade posted in DIAMONDS by barry