Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 231

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
231 is on a distinguished road

New person needing information
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-26-06 , 08:44 AM

Hello Everybody my name is Janice and I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I have been looking at your site for a couple of months now and have found it very interesting. I am in the process of doing lots of research towards purchasing a diamond and have a couple of questions I'm sure someone will be able to help me with.

1. Fluorescence in a diamond. I know it makes the diamond show up blue under a neon light but does it do anything else to the diamond, ie weaken, make it a different colour or maybe give out blue flashes ????

2. Crown height - I have seen diamonds with quite a bump on the top of them and others that only have a very small bump. How does this influence the look of the diamond ??? I know the crown angle is supposed to be 34 - 35 degrees but how how high it is supposed to be and what do I look for on the certificate ???

3. Can anyone tell me where I can look to find out the market price of diamonds ?? After looking at the price you are paying for diamonds in America I have decided diamonds are definatley more expensive in Australia. For example a 1.5 carat diamond of a good quality will cost you approx A$25,000 - $30,000 !!!

Thank you for your help. I have decided it would be easier to buy a new car, I would be less likely to be ripped off. Probalby not as much fun though.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=236, In=1

Re: New person needing information
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-26-06 , 02:03 PM

Hello 231! I'll let the experts answer your questions, but I wanted to welcome you to DiamondRing. Enjoy your time here.

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 172
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-26-06 , 04:14 PM

Hi 231, Welcome to Diamondtalk!

In answer to your questions:

1. Everything you always wanted to know about fluorescence but kept getting
less than satisfying answers is answered in this excellent and definitive study done by GIA scientists in 1997. The link is here:

http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

2. Crown height "numbers" evaluated in isolation without taking into consideration the corresponding pavillion angles, depth percentage, table percentage and size, facet angle, and facet alignment of all 58 facets that comprise the round brilliant shape is useless. Crown angles don't have to be 34-35 degrees to result in a high light performance diamond.

See the examples below.

You mention the buying of a car. Interesting analogy. There are consumers that do more homework and information gathering on a Car (Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, CarFax, etc.) than they do on a diamond.

Invest the same effort at information gathering on your prospective diamond purchase and you will have a satisfying and value-filled transaction.

Attached Images
60 60 Light Performance Example.jpg 151 H VS2 Megascope LLevit.jpg 78 F VS2 Collage for DT.jpg 151H VS2 Brilliancescope.jpg

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 153
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-27-06 , 12:58 AM

Hi Janice - another Australian! Welcome!

I have to say I don't think that diamonds are more expensive here in Australia - but like anything, it depends where you look. If you try to compare US web prices to say your local mall jeweler, you'll not be happy. I can't recomend them personally, but the ICE store in Melbourne/Sydney has a database in AUD - but the diamonds are mostly not in Australia anyway.

But in WA - you should be able to get a diamond from a local cuttter/jeweler from the Argyle mine. I'd love an argyle diamond. The argyle website has a list of stockists. Probably not the cheapest diamons though. But surely there is a discount for locals

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 153
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-27-06 , 01:02 AM

Oh, I meant to ask what your definition of a good diamond was. I know my BF was looking at 1ct D/Flawless stones and its about $20K AUD for something like that. But the more i've read & learnt, the more i am trying to convince him you don't need a 'perfect' stone for it to look fantastic.

Old DandiAndi

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 112
DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-27-06 , 05:05 AM

Welcome fellow Aussie! I agree with RubyMu, you really have to search far and wide for a great deal... a friend of mine was recently engaged with a DIVINE 2.20ct solitaire, H, I1, but the inclusion (which is white) was strategically placed under a claw, so is practically invisible, therefore clean as a whistle to the naked eye... for 15k. It just depends how far up the scale you want to go!

DandiAndi signature
*~*~* Andrea *~*~*

Thought for the day:

"If a man is standing in the forest talking, and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

(As quoted by my darling hubby )
Old 231

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-27-06 , 08:45 AM

Thanks for the help everyone.

Barry - I have printed out all 16 pages on the effect of blue fluorescence - that will be some light reading for tonight !!! Thank you, that should tell me everything I need to know in regard to fluorescence. Tell me how do you measure the light performance on a diamond. I do not recall seeing this on any of the certificates that I have seen. Is it something you do yourself ? If so how do I go about it when I go into a shop.

Now the measurements of the diamond I will have to study. I might get back to you with some questions once I have had a look at everything you have sent me. I must admit I have not yet worked out how to calculate all of those figures to find out if the diamond is of good proportion or not. I will get back to you once I have had a look.

Andrea - I wish I could find a 2.2 caret like your friends for $15,000. Did he buy it off someone or in Cash Converters ????

I am looking for a 1.5 diamond, f or g in colour and VS1 or VS2, round brillant and I quite like the hearts and arrows look. Haven't been able to find any for under $28,000 so far. Have only looked in retail stores. All have fluorescence as well. I need to try and work out the proportions business to see if they are any good. I am the type of person that has to see what I am buying, could not buy off the net by looking at a picture.

Nobody able to help me with market prices of diamonds to give me some idea if these stores are taking me for a ride !!

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 02-27-06 , 09:02 AM

Measurement of light performance = www.gemex.com

1. Prices: Brick & Mortar jewelers will charge you a higher price compared to an Internet vendor as their cost of operations and expenses are higher.

2. Proportions: Various proportion Table-Crown-Pavillion combinations will yield a beautiful eye pleasing diamond, cf; the 1.51 H/VS-2 referenced above. Not an "Ideal-Cut" by the numbers but the Brilliancescope shows light performance that is superior to many "Ideal-Cut" diamonds on today's market. Don't get bogged down in the 'numbers'.

Good Luck.

Old DandiAndi

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 112
DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute DandiAndi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 02-28-06 , 07:04 AM

231... no, this 2.2ct was bought in a retail store, they (the couple) didn't get too hung up on high clarity, i.e having a VS grade diamond. There was a fair inclusion in the stone but it was set under a claw... so the fact that it was there meant that it saved them thousands, but it made next to no difference to the overall look of the diamond. It's a really lovely stone.

DandiAndi signature
*~*~* Andrea *~*~*

Thought for the day:

"If a man is standing in the forest talking, and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

(As quoted by my darling hubby )
Old 231

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 02-28-06 , 10:41 AM

Thanks Barry but I think I am already bogged down in numbers. Now I have light performance running around in my head. Thank goodness I have sorted out the fluorescence !!! I have not seen light performance on any certificates here. Do the GIA certificates have it on ?? This is definately what I am looking for a diamond that really sparkles and I like the flashing colours.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 02-28-06 , 12:06 PM

www.gemex.com and the Brilliancescope.

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16802, In=5944
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 02-28-06 , 12:48 PM

There are also quite a few stones in the database above with light performance in addition to pictures of the stones for viewing pleasure.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Why is there such a premium around at 1 carat by ssgfunk
Up a Topic Cost of Rubies posted in GEMSTONES by aislingmaire
Older:
Down a Topic Jewelers Security Alliance Opens New Diamond Website for Consumers and Trade by barry
Down a Topic Need advice on my wedding band posted in JEWELRY by jokerselsa