Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old diamondC

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 36
diamondC is on a distinguished road

4 prong vs 6 prong on round diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-27-06 , 11:14 AM

What is the best setting to get on a solitaire round 1.50 carat ring. Does 4 prong make the diamond look larger than a 6 prong? Is 4 prong riskier as far as loosing the diamond out of the setting?

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old 10X

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
10X is on a distinguished road

Re: 4 prong vs 6 prong on round diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-27-06 , 11:35 AM

I think it depends on the setting and the design of the head/prongs.

Lower settings with shorter prongs are a little more secure than settings with longer prongs because longer prongs tend to bend easier just by the laws of physics.

If the design of the ring has longer prongs (i.e., tulip setting) then I might consider platinum over gold if you like the look of 4 prongs over 6 prongs.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 153
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-27-06 , 11:51 AM

Really comes down to the craftsmanship of the ring and the competency of the setter. 4-prong can be as secure if not more secure than 6 prongs.

We have seen many 6-prong rings that have been shoddily set compromising the safety of the diamond.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 194
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=323, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-27-06 , 12:46 PM

When I was in my 20's I use to assume that any large-ish size stone set with six prongs was real and those set with four prongs was fake. I just assumed that anyone who spent so much for a real diamond wouldn't risk putting into a simple four prong mounting. ROFL......... just goes to show how uneducated I was!!

Course that was a loooooong time ago!

Now I see many more four prong heads and mountings than ever before. My personal choice is for a six prong because I like the circular symmetry of six prongs for rounds, but it does decrease the amount of light a stone gets.

How secure something is depends more on the type and quality of the metal work and the setting work than on how many prongs it has.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  How Diamond Cut Grade Affects Fire, Sparkle, Scintillation

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 423
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3375, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-27-06 , 02:53 PM

Hi,

IMO, 4 prong looks better.

Generally speaking, six prongs are safer than four.

Most diamonds are lost due to "prong shearing", this is the tip of the prong (the part that is bent over the diamond) breaking off due to metal fatique, and or corrosion .

Prong shearing is very common in 14K nickel alloy crowns and almost unheard of in platinum.

I usually recommend a four prong platinum crown unless the design needs an extremely tall crown, I do not like tall platinum four prong crowns because platinum bends much easier than 14KWG especially in a taller crown.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old kentville

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-27-06 , 06:41 PM

I've had both and I much prefer 4 prongs to 6 prongs. I had 6 prongs on my 1.50 carat. When I upgraded my diamond, I had them set it in 4 prongs and I thought it looked much better. I just make sure I have my prongs checked by my jeweler every 6 mos.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-27-06 , 07:24 PM

KnoxDiamonds wrote:
Quote:
I usually recommend a four prong platinum crown unless the design needs an extremely tall crown, I do not like tall platinum four prong crowns because platinum bends much easier than 14KWG especially in a taller crown.

Brian, can I ask what you would consider a tall crown? I have a round that I've been eyeing new settings for. Or to have made. But I happen to like tall rings. Like in the 10mm range for the center stone area. Is that too tall for a "safe" platinum head in your opinion? I'm thinking of six prongs, but perhaps that would still not be good because of the heighth I want? Am also thinking of something that is more like a royal crown where the middle and bottom area of the head has more metal wires criss-crossing eachother (as opposed to a simple 6 prong head that comes to a pointy area at the bottom).

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old willeyi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
willeyi is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-29-06 , 07:13 PM

For a solitare, I prefer a 6-prong over the 4-prong for one key reason... the 6-prong makes a round lbrilliant look perfectly round. In a 4-prong, the round diamond tends to look a slightly "square". As for secureness, I think either 4-prong or 6-prong is fine. I have had both. Hope this helps.

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-30-06 , 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamLady
KnoxDiamonds wrote:
Brian, can I ask what you would consider a tall crown? I have a round that I've been eyeing new settings for. Or to have made. But I happen to like tall rings. Like in the 10mm range for the center stone area. Is that too tall for a "safe" platinum head in your opinion? I'm thinking of six prongs, but perhaps that would still not be good because of the heighth I want? Am also thinking of something that is more like a royal crown where the middle and bottom area of the head has more metal wires criss-crossing eachother (as opposed to a simple 6 prong head that comes to a pointy area at the bottom).

Hi DL,

10 mm is approaching a height that may concern me in a 4 prong crown but you should be fine with a 6 prong crown.

Also, the cross member supports you mention ( the closer to the diamond the better) in the design of the crown will help immensely in the structural integrity and holding power of a crown.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-30-06 , 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply Brian. I'll keep all that in mind when I"m looking around at new settings.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old sascha

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
sascha is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-10-07 , 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the useful info Brian. I just bought a 1.5 carat diamond in a platium 4 prong setting. my main concern was that it may not have been sturdy enough for long term wear and tear. your comments on the low risk of crown shearing for platium settings puts my mind at ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKnox
Hi,

IMO, 4 prong looks better.

Generally speaking, six prongs are safer than four.

Most diamonds are lost due to "prong shearing", this is the tip of the prong (the part that is bent over the diamond) breaking off due to metal fatique, and or corrosion .

Prong shearing is very common in 14K nickel alloy crowns and almost unheard of in platinum.

Brian

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-10-07 , 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sascha
Thanks for all the useful info Brian...

My pleasure.

Welcome to the forum.

Brian

BrianKnox signature