Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 0
hmurdoch02 is on a distinguished road

Going through a mini crisis! Need some advice.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-13-06 , 07:01 PM

Hey guys, My name is Heather I have been on this forum before under hmurdoch. I couldn't remember my user name so I re-registered. Anyhow if you do a search under Greetings from AL. that's me. I am sorta going through a mini crisis. I have decided to break it up into parts because it is so long. Long story short I bought some diamond studs from a reputable jeweler I trusted.I thought I was getting what I had specifically asked for and now I found out that it is not the proper color and clarity. I contacted the jeweler and showed them the diamonds. The owners wife said that they would fix it and switch them to the right grade. Well this was in August 2005 and now it's Jan 2006. They won't return my phone calls and when I go by they promise they'll call but they never do.I have recently sent a certified letter threatning that if they do not make good on their promise that I would turn the matter over to my attorney. Well they received the letter on wed afternoon at lunch. I checked on the internet with the usps.com. I have yet to hear anything from them. I am just going stir crazy and it has really been upsetting.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

part 2
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-13-06 , 07:02 PM

My question that I have is does anyone know what kind of rights I have?
If they decide not to make good on their promise can we legally do anything?
Also the diamonds were graded by a GIA certified gemologist. Does that mean that she used the GIA standards for grading my diamonds? She put GIA credentials on the appraisal.
Can I ask for my money back? If so what about the diamonds I traded in? Do I ask for the $800 trade in value back in cash?
I am just so confused about the whole thing. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,Heather

Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

here is a copy of the letter I sent to them. It will explain everything.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-13-06 , 07:32 PM

Dear ,

I hope that you guys had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. I know that your business (xxxxx)has been quite busy these last few months. I also understand that Misty has been sick. However I came to Misty in the middle of the summer and spoke with her on the matter of my 1ct diamond studs I purchased from you guys for Christmas. The diamond studs were graded as H color si1 clarity on the appraisal that was given to me by your company on March 17, 2005.
I explained to her that the color was way off by at least two grades. They don’t face up white and when viewed from the sides they have a lot of color. I know that if I sent them into GIA to be certified they would be graded as J or K color at least because if they were I color they would face up white. There is also a black inclusion on the side table of one of the diamonds. After speaking with Misty and both of us examining the studs together she noticed the same issues as me and promised that she would make it right! That she would switch my current stones for G- H near colorless si1 eye clean stones with a good cut as promised originally.
I specifically came to xxxxxx Jeweler and spoke with Brenda and asked how much it would cost to get 1 carat total weight G-H color diamond studs with Si1-Si2 eye clean stones with a good cut for fire. I told Brenda that these were supposed to be special and that one day I was going to put them into a ring that would be passed onto my kids and that was why I wanted engagement ring quality stones.
I was originally given a price of $1,000.00 plus I was given $800 trade in value for my ¾ carat diamond studs. Somehow it went from a budget of $1,000 to $1500 plus the $800 for trade in on my previously owned diamond studs. That is $2300 that I paid for what was supposed to have been a pair of 1 carat tw G-H color si1 eye clean stones. I inquired about whether the diamonds that I purchased should be GIA certified and was told that for the size that it wouldn’t be necessary as long as you trusted the jeweler.
The point I am getting to is that I have been very patient and understanding about Misty being sick and the kids because I trusted that this matter would be taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. I was told back in July that it would take 1 week to get the new diamonds in for me to pick and now it is January 2006 and I have yet to receive a return call. The last time I spoke to Misty was in Oct. after she had been sick. She told me that she was going to use a different company to get the new stones and that she would give me a call sometime next week to come by and look. After several attempts in calling and receiving no return calls I attempted to go by the shop and express my unhappiness that my phone calls were not returned only to speak to Brenda who confirmed what color and clarity I had asked for originally. I am feeling like I am being taken advantage of. If this situation is the result of an over site or misunderstanding on your behalf. Please advise me as soon as possible when you intend to resolve this matter. I have been very patient up to this point but if I do not receive some form of communication from you indicating your intentions I will be forced to turn the matter over to my attorney. Up to this point I have been a very loyal customer so I truly hope that you will resolve this issue in an appropriate manner.

Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Going through a mini crisis! Need some advice.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-14-06 , 02:06 PM

I'm sorry the appraisal given to me by the company said that they each diamond is .51pts and .52pts G color SI1 clarity. The appraisal was signed by a GIA certified gemologist. I took them to a couple of different jewelers and they say that they are at least J in color possibly even K. I paid $1500 plus they said they would give me $800 in trade in value for my other diamond studs.

Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-14-06 , 02:10 PM

They are very beautiful though. They have a great cut and the only inclusion is a little black line on the side of the table. The color is bugging me a bit though. Was it realistic to think that I could get a pair of 1ct g-h si1 eyeclean good cut studs for $2300 at a brick and mortar store?

Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Necklace

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 3
Jewelry: 7

My Karma
Power: 72
ssjewels is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=2367, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-14-06 , 02:31 PM

I am sorry to hear of your problem it gives all of us jewelers a bad reputation and when things like this happen sorry to say it might be deserved. What happened to you is against the law. When someone sells you diamonds they have to be exactly as stated. There is no "leeway" allowed especially the amount you have stated there is in the color. Also, the clarity seems to be I1 not SI1 if you can see the black inclusion with your eye. I would suggest that you tell this place you will call the attorney general unless you get your money back. At this point why would you put your trust in a place to deliver something they promised the first time and didn't? I see this kind of thing almost every day, we buy diamonds and jewelry from people all over the country and I cannot tell you how much this happens so don't feel you were the only one. It is not your job to know the difference between an H and a J, that is why you go to a jeweler.
As for the appraiser being GIA gemologist, in the end that means nothing. An appraisal is a piece of paper that anyone can write on and write whatever they want.
At this point I see your only leverage is using the law on these people. Tell them you want your money back, the $1500.00 and the $800. from the trade in.
Just to give you an idea, we sell 2=1.03cts F VS1 for $2400. so your purchase of this quality for that price is no bargain at all.
Hope this helps.

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
looking to buy jewelry visit www.ssjewels.com
for help selling your diamond www.diamondbuyers.net
Not sure what to do with your old jewelry www.tradeadiamond.com
Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-15-06 , 12:27 AM

I agree with you when about GIA, however that does not give a seller the right to sell something as an H that is a J or K.

As for my suggestion to bring the law in, it appears this person has tried to be nice for quite a long time and it has not got them anything. I would not suggest this as a first step but come on, the person doesn't even return their calls.
When it comes to price, you are correct anyone is entitled to make whatever profit they want, buyer beware. However that does not mean they can supply an appraisal for H color SI1 and then give them J-K I1. That is bait and switch and I do believe that is illegal.
I would say the attorney general can do more than you think, also a call to the BBB might stir things up enough to get them moving.

I see people come into my store every day that buy things that are supposed to be a certain grade and are not close. It is not a customers place to have to grade a diamond when they buy it, that is what a trusted jeweler is for.
Would you buy from a supplier who sent you J-K and you paid for H? What would you tell your customer when that happens, it is your name and reputation on the receipt.

I know it is a very hard thing to grade a diamond accurately, I have been doing this for over 20 years and I still sometimes make mistakes when I buy a diamond, but 1 grade off is fine white to yellow is unacceptable.

Thanks for the post I am glad to discuss this.

Steven

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-15-06 , 04:03 PM

Thank you so much for all the advice. It hasn't even been a week since I sent the letter. I have to admit I was being a bit impatient.
I have decided to take it as a learning experience. If they decide to contact me and make it right then I would be really happy. If not then I believe that God will reward me for being a good christian and forgiving them. It really is not worth getting all worked up about it and letting it effect my health and happiness. My hubby and I just celebrated our 5yr anniversary this weekend so it made me appreciate what truly is important. Which is my family everything else is just stuff.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=255, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-15-06 , 06:28 PM

Happy Anniversary Heather!! You have the best perspective

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-15-06 , 10:21 PM

I am glad that you are not letting this problem affect you greatly, life is too short to waste on some problems.

However I don't think you should just let it go completely.
I agree with all others that hiring a lawyer is a poor idea(that's another story for another day) but there are means to make complaints against businesses that do not cost anything but a little effort. As I said, the attorney general or the BBB is a very good place to start. I know as a businessperson that I do not want to ever be contacted by these agency's and I certainly would try to remedy any problem that arose from one of them.
I just had a problem with a car dealership, they wouldn't give me a deposit back on a new truck($1,000.). The company told me to take a hike. Well I wrote a complaint to the attorney generals office and in about 3 months I got a full refund.
The car dealer still wouldn't admit they lied but they paid.

My point is, if the place had any kind of decency, they will try their best to keep a blemish off their name and you should not have to be "stuck" with something you didn't pay for.
Also, maybe the next customer that goes to that store and buys something that is H SI1 will get something that is H SI1, and it will be because you did something about it.

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 01-17-06 , 11:37 AM

diamondsbylauren- the sad part is that I did my research on DT for over 3 months. I even went and looked at diamonds for fun to get a feel for color.,clarity and size. I thought that I had figured everything out. I had a very good relationship with this company for the last 3yrs so I trusted them. It would have been easy if they just said that they think that I got a good deal and that they are not going to replace them. That is what bothered me more than anything was they just would not return my calls or letter.
When I first saw the diamonds they were in a yellow goldsetting which I could not stand. It was the day before Christmas Eve and we had been looking at diamonds since early Nov. I thought they had a bit of color to them until we compared them to my old studs which were 3/4ct must have been P or Q color. I bought them on ebay for $200 before I knew anything about diamonds. Anyhow we compared the two and suddenly the new ones were super white. They promised to switch the diamonds to a white gold martini setting which they did after Christmas. Since I trusted them so much I didn't question the color when I saw it because I thought I was just being color sensitive. Until someone at another jewelry store pointed it out to me. Then when I checked with other ones they confirmed.
SSJewels- If I hadn't paid just a couple hundred for my old studs I think I would have persued it more. My dh and I have a lawyer friend that we trade services with. My dh is a computer whiz so hiring the lawyer would not be a problem. It is just best that I just let it go because it was causing headaches and stress on myself and dh was feeling upset because I wasn't happy with what I got. I will try and post a picture of my diamond studs and get your opinions. I really enjoy the DT website. Do I post in a different section? I still haven't figured out the posting thing. Is there a section to read up on?
thanks ,Heather

Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-17-06 , 01:42 PM

Heather,
I understand the stress things like this can cause and I see your point. However, this is why this still happens to people because no one says anything and the stores keep getting away with it. These places will never change their business practices and since they gave you such a different grade than promised they probably made a lot of money on you. There is no incentive for them to stop these practices and the next poster on this board could be someone who did the same this as you and got screwed and want to know why.
Don't look at this as stress, look at it as your advocacy for the small guy and when you are done, you can feel proud that you might have made a difference and saved a lot of other people the same grief.

One other thing, I appreciate you spent a lot of time researching before you bought and you thought you knew a bit about color in diamonds. Well I have been doing this for over 20 years and I still make a mistake here and there. If I, who do this every single day and use the money out of my own pocket to buy diamonds based on my grading can make a mistake, what hope does the average customer of thinking they can grade diamonds too? That is why you need to have some trust in the jeweler you buy from and they have a responsibility to you to give you an accurate grade.

Good luck and remember, if this is your biggest problem in life you are doing very well, in the sceme of things this is not a big deal.

Steven

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
Old hmurdoch02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-17-06 , 11:45 PM

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and all the replys it has received. It's nice to know that I am not the only one this has happened too. I will keep you guys posted if anything changes. One things for sure I will definately be asking the DT'ers before I make another big purchase.
Blessings to you all,Heather

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Insite needed by taeryn
Up a Topic Insite needed posted in Greet New Members by taeryn
Older:
Down a Topic Ice is nice but not when it s an icicle on my nose by sjt
Down a Topic Looking for feedback on Jared posted in Jewelry Design by lladar