Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old lionsroar13

My Profile
View profile photo
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
lionsroar13 is on a distinguished road

Advice on resale
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-13-06 , 07:42 AM

As an uneducated consumer, in the past, I have fallen prey to the diamond "trends" of the season. I have the "heart pendant" and the "3 stone necklace", etc. All bought on impulse in Mall stores. I would like to sell ALL these and save the proceeds towards my 30th anniversary ring purchase. My question is where is the best place to sell. Ebay? A jeweler that pays cash for any & all jewelry? Other? I know I wont get much since they were midpriced purchases to begin with. Is the best I can expect pennies on the dollar? Can anyone make a suggestion? If I am in the incorrect forum I apologize.

lionsroar13 signature
Nothing is worth more than this day.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0
Referrals: 1

Re: advice on resale
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-13-06 , 10:44 AM

lionsroar, what can I say except, don't feel too badly. I think there are many people who have done the same and have accumulated some jewelry items they wish they hadn't spent the money on.

There is a Jewelry Classified section here where you can type up a for-sale ad. Adding any details you know about the item, and some pictures is the best way to get a possible sale.

You could try selling on ebay. That's relatively easy to do, but it does cost you money to list an item whether you sell it or not.

A pawn shop will probably take your items on consignment for you, but they will give you very, very little for them.

Another option (depending on the type of item) is turning it in for the scrap gold content. Some jewelers will take your old / broken / no longer wanted items and break them up to melt down for the gold or stone "scrap" value. This is ok for items which have fewer stones that would be eaily removed. If it's an item with 100 tiny .01 stones to unset, then it's maybe not something they would want to do.

You could also clean it up and donate it to a local charity or Salvation Army type store. There's no money to make on that, but you would get a tax write off for the value you paid (I think). Better check with a tax professional on that one.

In my opinion there is no one place that is better than others for selling.

I think you will have to accept that you will probably get very little for your items compared to what you paid. But in most cases, at least it's something. Like I said, don't feel too badly because I know a lot of people have bought mall jewelry on impulse and then wished they hadn't later. Just chalk it up to a learning experience and try to get whatever you can for it.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old lionsroar13

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
lionsroar13 is on a distinguished road

Re: Advice on resale
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-14-06 , 07:43 AM

Thanks DiamLady!I really appreciate your reply. I didnt even think of the classified section on this site. I may give it a try first and see what happens. I might also try the "cash" jewelry buyers nearby and see what they offer.

lionsroar13 signature
Nothing is worth more than this day.
Old loveit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
loveit is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Re: Advice on resale
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-14-06 , 10:29 AM

Do post on the classified part of this site. I always check that out and would seriously think of buying here if I found something that caught my eye. Be sure to include photos and specifics-- like carat weights, etc. Best of luck! I am considering posting a few things but just haven't gotten around to it!

Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Necklace

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 3
Jewelry: 7

My Karma
Power: 72
ssjewels is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=2362, In=0

Advice on resale.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-14-06 , 02:34 PM

The best way to get the most money is if you can sell them retail yourself. This is not always easy to do. Please go to my website and you can see your options, we might be able to help.

Thanks,
steven

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
looking to buy jewelry visit www.ssjewels.com
for help selling your diamond www.diamondbuyers.net
Not sure what to do with your old jewelry www.tradeadiamond.com
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Stuller Settings Inc Poovis by poovis
Up a Topic Is this normal posted in Appraisal & Insurance by whatiwant
Older:
Down a Topic Validation number does not work by eileenp
Down a Topic Celebrity Rings from US Magazine posted in Celebrity Jewelry by sna77