Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old jes119

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jes119 is on a distinguished road

Antique Ring Appraisal Help!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-06-06 , 12:46 PM

Hi there - First, let me say how much I've enjoyed reading all of your posts for the past hour! It can get truly addicting and now I am so anxious to get my ring appraised...hence my questions...

I just got engaged and I was given my grandmother's ring. It has never been appraised to my knowledge but I know it was bought on the Atlantic City boardwalk at an auction in the mid-1940's. Knowing nothing about diamonds it looks beautiful to me and since it was my grandmother's I don't really care how much it is worth. But for insurance purposes, I want to have it appraised and I also need to size it down a bit.

It is a circle cut (people tell me it looks to be about 1.25 carats) with 4 prongs (set low) and a rectangular baguette on each side and a small circle diamond on each side of those. It appears to be set in platinum. There is an inscription on the band I can't make it out.

I live in Chicago and I am looking for a recommendation on where to take it, how much I should expect to pay for the sizing/appraisal, what are the key questions to ask, how long should I expect it to take for the sizing, and is there anything I should be "on the watch" for other than the debate of watching/not-watching that I see on the board here?

Thank you so much for your help & Happy New Year!

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 150
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Re: Antique Ring Appraisal Help!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-08-06 , 11:48 PM

I don't know about over there, but valuers in Australia sometimes base the cost of the valuation on the total $ amount of the item valued. Personally I think this is a bit off and dishonest.

I think you should pay a straight 'fee' for the valuation, rather than a percentage thing. That is just my preference.

Look at if they have to take the stone of of the setting too....I would be wary of that in terms of damaging the ring.

Good luck with it. Hope you get some more helpful replies....

Read Messages in: Appraisal & Insurance All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is this normal by whatiwant
Up a Topic Can the blue tint of medium blue florescence be seen in daylight posted in DIAMONDS by Rainbowchasers
Older:
Down a Topic Appraisal in Nassau NY by sr20deMike
Down a Topic Newbie from the UK looking for buying advice PLEASE posted in DIAMONDS by willing