Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 05sierrasle

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
05sierrasle is on a distinguished road

Newbie....Tiffany & Co. Engagement Ring????
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-27-05 , 09:53 PM

Hello to all!!

I am new to this forum and I was hoping to get some advice. Within the next few weeks I am hoping to purchase my gf of three years an engagment ring.

I know that Tiffany & Company is an expensive place to buy a ring, but I think that my gf would enjoy seeing Tiffany & Co embroidered on the inside of the ring.

So what do you all think I could purchase for $3,000.00 or less. I was hoping to get an Asscher diamond with channel set band. Will this be possible?? What do you all think about Tiffany & Co??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I want this ring to be special!!

Thanks

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Rod

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
Rod is on a distinguished road

Re: Newbie....Tiffany & Co. Engagement Ring????
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-27-05 , 10:39 PM

There is a Tiffany where I live and I must admit that they represent excellent sparkle when it comes to diamonds. They also have really high prices. While I haven't priced diamonds at Tiffany myself, I've heard from others that $3000 probably won't get you much.

I am not an expert. I repeat, I am not an expert. But there are experts who represent some of the best there is in the diamond business on this forum. While I'm sure it would be really exciting for your fiance to see the Tiffany logo on her box, isn't the diamond and setting a bit more important than where it came from?

Of course you should spend your money where you feel comfortable, but if it were my $3000, I'd contact the fine folks on this forum, such as Barry at SuperbCert, or Jan at Diamond Brokers of Florida (DBOF) and see how they could help you get the best for you budget. I'll bet they include really high quality ring boxes with engaqement rings.

Old 05sierrasle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-27-05 , 10:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. You are probably right. I wasn't sure how much I could get for $3000 but I was hoping maybe I could get something like 1 carat platinum total??

But thanks for the advice, like I said, I am a newbie so any advice that you can give to me helps.

I will definitely check around as much as I can before I settle down on a ring. Any more advice or ideas send them my way.

Thanks again

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 213
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=415, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-27-05 , 11:26 PM

05sierrasle,

Tiffany sells high quality items for sure, but you pay top dollar for the name. I'm sure you could get something very nice from the vendors of this forum, but I think you're expectations for your budget are off. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but you've chosen two of the highest end items no matter where you go.

The Asscher cut is more of a speciality cut compared to many other more common diamond shapes. Plus, since it has step facets, it's really best in a higher clarity because there are less places for inclusions to hide in that cut. So you'd want not only the special cut, but also a higher clarity than you could get away with in other shapes.

And platinum is the most expensive of metals. To combine those two together, even without the Tiffany name, is going to be pricey. Some settings alone can cost you the $3000 in platinum with diamonds in the band.

What you want will be more than $3000 for sure.

Perhaps you could get either a small Asscher stone in a gold band and trade up later. Or get a nice setting now with a smaller round diamond and then purchase an Asscher later.

Good Luck in either case. I really love the Asscher cuts too!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 477
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=227, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-28-05 , 12:11 AM

To get a better idea of the pricing on Asschers, take a look in the DiamondRing Database. It can be found at the top of the screen in STORES. One of our Network Jewelers currently has an Asscher that fits your budget, however it is much smaller than 1ct.

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Rainbowchasers

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Rainbowchasers is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-28-05 , 04:02 AM

I've been looking at tiffany rings, and I can say with confidence that 3,000 dollars will buy a tiny speck of a diamond from them...at least in a G color up.

Tiffany is the reason my budget went from 5,000 to 10,000. And that's not even for a carat round.

Now I'm looking online for 1 carat rounds, but I still have Tiffany in the back of my mind.

Old 05sierrasle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-28-05 , 08:09 AM

What do you all think about Blue Nile?? I found that you can pretty much customize to fit your budget??

Thanks

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
susi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-28-05 , 10:03 AM

I have heard that Blue Nile does not possess the diamonds listed on their site. If I am incorrect, I apologize.

If, however, this is true, then they cannot actually *see* the diamond for you. Someone must be able to *see* the stone. In no way should a person buy a diamond based only on paper specs.

The vendors here have access to the same database stones as Blue Nile.....

susi signature
Susi
Old Rod

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-28-05 , 11:13 AM

Go to the testimonials section of this forum and read about the incredible success stories some of the dealers on this forum have had, over and over again. Again, not being an expert, I've read that Blue Nile can offer some good value, but I've also gotten the impression that it can be buyer beware.

You have a wealth of expertise on this site. Believe me, I've learned so much from this forum. If I hadn't found a local jeweler, who was willing to take my two platinum and diamond bands in trade towards a higher value item, I would have definitely purchased from one of the dealers here.

Old A02

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
A02 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 12-28-05 , 11:13 AM

It depends on what kind of stone you buy at Blue Nile. I just got a Signature diamond with them - and they have those on hand. They come with an AGSL and a GCAL. The great thing about that is that the GCAL has an actual photo of your diamond, it's symmetry and it's white light return. It's nice to see that info on top of the standard report... and it's all online.

I'll tell you this... my fiancee and I loved the top-of-the-line Artic Ideals at Baily Banks and Biddle, but I got a better diamond after a bit of research at Blue Nile and reading forums. I literally saved a tad over $2,000 by getting the Blue Nile Signature ring versus the one at the brick and mortar... you're paying for a name at places like Tiffany and Baily Banks and Biddle. I can not state enough to people how estatic I am in the quality of the Blue Nile Signature.

For your price range, I would definately stray from Tiffany. You could get a ring 3X as good as Tiffany (just no Blue Box) for 3K using the jewelers here or shopping carefully other places online.

Definately read forums here and other places on the web. Generally you'll find that most people agree that a smaller diamond that's well cut and has better qualities will look MUCH better than a dull 1 carat.

Figure out what things are important to you and here and take your time. And if you're unsure about something - ask people here or elsewhere BEFORE you splurge. I can't tell you how many people ask after buying and then end up running out to return something.

This is a big purchase and arming yourself with as much knowledge as possible only helps.

Good luck.

Old 05sierrasle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 12-28-05 , 11:17 AM

Thanks to all for all of your help....please keep the advice rolling!!

Old 05sierrasle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 12-28-05 , 11:20 AM

Also, I am sort of thinking about dealing with a local jeweler that my family has dealt with over the years. What are the major qualities that I need to look for in order to get a diamond that will sparkle like no other??

Old Rod

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 12-28-05 , 11:33 AM

Again......no expert here, but CUT CUT CUT. From what I've learned the cut more than anything determines the amount of light returned from the stone. A stone in the h - j range that is really cut well can look much whiter. Plus, don't get so hung up on clarity. Unless you can see inclusions with the naked eye, you can get a lot more stone for your money in the Si1 or 2 range. A good stone that is cut really well, is a little higher in color and has SI clarity could save you a bundle, while providing a lot of sparkle.

Also, working with a local jeweler you trust and who has a life-time trade up guarantee can be a good thing indeed.

The guy's advice above is really good. Ask lot's of questions before you buy, instead of after you buy.

Old Rod

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-28-05 , 11:37 AM

One other piece of advice. If you are buying a stone of one carat. The stone should be graded by a quality grading laboratory. The experts on this forum seem to completely agree that there are only two grading labs that provide accurate grading reports. They are GIA and AGS. Stones graded by these labs are also (from what I've learned) more likely to hold their value and even increase in value over time.

I was originally considering a stone graded by EGL, but after much research, it made sense to spend more (GIA graded diamonds typically cost a bit more) and get a stone with GIA papers.

Old 05sierrasle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 12-28-05 , 12:17 PM

One more thing!! I was wanting to go with a Platinum band, but would it be a bad thing if I went with white gold??

It is an engagement ring so she wont wear it forever because i will get a wedding ring too, so as far as the white gold tarnisihing, I don't think it would be an issue.

If I did go with white gold I could get away with a larger carat diamond for the amount I am wanting to spend??

What ya think??

Old Rod

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 12-28-05 , 12:35 PM

I prefer platinum, but with your budget, white gold would probably be a good compromise. The issue with white gold is that they have to alloy other metals in the gold to make it white. Then they have to coat the finished product with Rhodium to make it shine like platinum.

Lot's of people own white gold and it lasts a long long time. Depending on how the ring is cared for, you might only have to re-rhodium the ring every few years. And it's not difficult to do this.

A possibly better solution is to ask your jeweler to provide a white gold setting that was mixed with Palladium. It's an alloy that is longer lasting and acts more like platinum. The ring should not need to be Rhodium plated to keep the white shine.

Old starlight98

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
starlight98 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 12-29-05 , 10:50 AM

05-

I used to have a white gold band and I don't recommend. It looked good at first but started to turn a little yellow over time, which made my diamonds look yellow! I was told I would have to get it replated every few years, which is a big hassle.

As for Tiffany's, if she would be really excited by a blue box, you might consider buying a plain platinum wedding band from there later. It'll be expensive compared to platinum bands you can buy elsewhere but not as much as the e-rings. $3,000 isn't going to get you the engagement ring you or she would want.

Oh, and I wouldn't count on the fact that she will stop wearing her e-ring once you get married. Many, and I think most, women wear their rings together.

Good luck!

SL98

Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 12-29-05 , 08:47 PM

I prefer white gold- it does get a bit "warm" but I prefer that than the silver look of platinum. I also wear alot of 2 tone jewelry. Also- on a budget you won't get a perfectly white white diamond- which is fine- I buy a bit lower color by choice. So now worry about diamonds looking yellow- I haven't seen or heard that one before but maybe it happens.

Old SBelle

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 4

My Karma
Power: 72
SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 12-29-05 , 09:09 PM

There is a very pretty asscher ring available from a company called Signed Pieces for $2,900. It has a high color and clarity asscher (about half a carat) with .22 in diamonds. If you have your heart set on an asscher, this might be a pretty and sparkly option in your price range. I've attempted to attach a picture of it.

I have puchased from this company before and had a good experience with them. This company also resells previously owed Tiffany jewelry, so if you had your heart set on the Tiffany name, you might be able to find a piece there at a smaller price than you would pay for a Tiffany stone.

Attached Images
asscher half carat.jpg

Old SBelle

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 4

My Karma
Power: 72
SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 12-29-05 , 09:16 PM

Signed Pieces sells online at www.signedpieces.com and I took the picture above from the company's website. They have several other asscher rings around .7 carats for less than $3,000 that are less fancy, with plain platinum bands.

If your heart isn't set on an asscher, but you still definitely want Tiffany, the website www.antiqueengagementring s.com also has a T&Co piece that is much smaller and less expensive than you were looking for, witb a .4 round in a platinum setting with the original certificate. I've purchased from that company too, as has my mom and a friend of mine, and we all had great experiences with them.

Old Rainbowchasers

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 12-30-05 , 05:04 PM

Quote:
I have puchased from this company before and had a good experience with them. This company also resells previously owed Tiffany jewelry, so if you had your heart set on the Tiffany name, you might be able to find a piece there at a smaller price than you would pay for a Tiffany stone.

Well everyone can just take the 1.04 Tiffany 18k gold engagement ring off their checklist because I just bought it. Gosh darn I hope that company is okay with this and the diamond is beautiful because my head is flying!!

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 213
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=415, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 12-30-05 , 05:23 PM

Oh My Gosh Rainbow..... CONGRATULATIONS on the purchase!!! I hope it's stunning in person and that you're happy with it.

Please post some pictures of it if you can after you receive it.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Necklace

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 3
Jewelry: 7

My Karma
Power: 69
ssjewels is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=2337, In=0

eng ring sales
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 12-30-05 , 06:16 PM

Blue nile offers no bargains and whoever said you shouldn't buy a diamond based on a piece of paper is 100% correct. You should not buy a diamond based on a certificate no matter which lab it is from. All labs make mistakes and just because another lab certifies a stone at a grade doesnt' mean that it is automatically wrong. We sell diamonds based on the stone not the cert, I have had plenty of diamonds that were certified wrong. Go to our diamond help section, we have an article showing 17 stones going to 3 labs and none had the same exact grade. How can that be? Because it is still humans doing the work.

Thanks,
Steven

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
looking to buy jewelry visit www.ssjewels.com
for help selling your diamond www.diamondbuyers.net
Not sure what to do with your old jewelry www.tradeadiamond.com
Old Rainbowchasers

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 12-31-05 , 03:05 AM

Thank you Diamlady. I was so buzzing for a couple hours after the purchase. It just felt "right" whereas a previous princess cut purchase didn't...so yes I hope the ring I recieve is as sparkly as all the ones I've seen in the Tiffany stores. I'll definately work on pics asap. It's a much bigger stone for so much less than the ring I was thinking of buying at the Charlotte Tiffany's.

Old Pixaloop

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Pixaloop is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 01-07-06 , 11:23 PM

Do what my brother did. Buy the diamond from one place and the Tiffany box from ebay. Worked out great and it saved him thousands of dollars. Everyone wins and no one's accused of being too shallow. =-)

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Help which one by princess2006
Up a Topic Great visual of 18K Vs 10k gold ingredients posted in JEWELRY by pffman
Older:
Down a Topic Fair Price for RD 1 25 AGS I SI1 by tlikinim
Down a Topic Fair Price for RD 1 25 AGS I SI1 posted in DIAMONDS by tlikinim