Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old slwiley

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
slwiley is on a distinguished road

New and need help selling a diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-27-05 , 01:37 PM

Hi Im new to the board and Im looking for a non biased answer to a selling question. I have a platinum Tiffany's clasic round wedding ring that I need to sell. Can someone point me in the right direction to get the most for the ring that I am trying to sell? I have a certificate from Tiffany's that gives the replacement value (for insurance purposes) for the actual diamond, but its not an apprasial. The Tiffany's cert also references the GIA cert number. How do I get a duplicate copy of the GIA cert and how should I sell this diamond engagement ring? I believe the original selling price was around $50kThanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Necklace

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 3
Jewelry: 7

My Karma
Power: 72
ssjewels is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=2362, In=0

Selling a ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-27-05 , 04:16 PM

I hope I can help you a little. The best way to sell your diamond to get the most money is to sell it retail yourself. You can try Ebay or other markets. If that doesn't work you should contact some places that buy and sell diamonds and see what someone might pay you cash for your ring. It would help to have the GIA certificate for the diamond no matter who you sell it to. Also, forget the amount Tiffany says your ring is worth or what it sold for there. No one but Tiffany's is going to get that kind of money. Everyone else who sells it is going to go by market value. A diamond is a diamond no matter where it comes from so just because Tiffany sold it, there is no more value to it. The ring might be worth more but not the diamond.
Hope this helps.

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
looking to buy jewelry visit www.ssjewels.com
for help selling your diamond www.diamondbuyers.net
Not sure what to do with your old jewelry www.tradeadiamond.com
Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: New and need help selling a diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-27-05 , 04:31 PM

My concern with Ebay was the price tag on the diamond. I didnt see any diamond rings on ebay that were from tiffany's that were anywhere near the 50k dollar range. Are you telling me that when I sell the ring I need to focus more on the diamond quality and not the tiffany's brand name? What's your opinion on Christie's auction house versus Ebay? Are there any other places besides Ebay where I can list the ring? Who can give me a good idea what its worth so I can set a reserve price? Im thinking that any store who appraises the ring here in NY will low ball it in hopes that I will sell it to them? so how do I get a fair appraisal for Fair market value?

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-27-05 , 04:51 PM

After looking on ebay I do see there are diamonds selling for much more than 50k dollars. I do notice that most of them aren't getting bid on at all. I also notice that a lot of the ones that do get bids are in conjunction with a live auction like "skinner auctions" are there other better auction houses to use besides Christie's? My big problem wih Christie's is you have to wait so long to get your item listed for auction.

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-27-05 , 05:05 PM

I will definitely post all that tonight when I get home. Its all on the tiffany's certificate that I got last week. I will post the GIA specs once GIA is back from vacation and I can reach someone at their head office to get a reprint of the cert. Im assuming I can just call them with the GIA # and pay them for a copy of my GIA cert???? Please correct me if Im wrong. Also I have a friend who owns a pawn shop that has offered to put the word out to his friends that have retail shops that he has access to my ring in order to help me sell it. He swears that will get me more money for the ring than auctioning it. The guy is not my best friend so Im always a little careful of how much is is going to make off of me. In the past we have traded favors and I have gotten some really nice peices from him like my 2 tone submariner. Which he only charged my 100 over his cost. I know this becasue I went and picked it up from his deal personally and paid him directly for it.

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-27-05 , 05:08 PM

here is a generic picture of the ring. Specs to follow later tonight. The only spec that the tiffany cert did not have was "floresense" my jewler friend said that was important to know.

Attached Images
engagement_tiffany_ring1.jpg

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

SPECs of the diamond I need to sell
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-28-05 , 10:18 AM

Here's the specs off of the tiffany's certificate.
DPT/Clss/SSKU 171/24/17573012
Weight 5.32 gram
GIA # 12115776
Retail Value 30,500.00
Round Cut marked "Tiffany & CO PT 950 1.71 CT"
Approx Diementions 7.67 - 7.74 X 4.73
Weight 1.71 CT
Color F
Clarity VS2
Table 58%
Girdle Medium ti slightly thick, Faceted
Cullet : None
Total depth 61.4%

So what's the best way to sell this and how much should I ask for? What price range is what I should accept?

Thanks for all your help.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=254, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-28-05 , 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiley
.... I have a platinum Tiffany's clasic round wedding ring that I need to sell. ....I believe the original selling price was around $50kThanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiley
I will definitely post all that tonight when I get home. Its all on the tiffany's certificate that I got last week.

slwiley, obviously you did not purchase this ring yourself, for you are not at all familiar with the specs of it. So how did you come up with it selling for $50k, when the info you've given, says its valued at $30+?

irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-28-05 , 11:25 AM

The ring belongs to my girlfried from a previous marrige. When she and I went to Tiffanys two months ago to get a cert of authenticity, the representitive at Tiffanys explained that the value she put on the cert was to replace only the diamond and not the ring. She said that the ring in the store would be significantly higher in price becasue of the Tiffany's name, but she could only apprasie the diamond for what it would cost to replace it. She said the certificate she gave us (which cost us a couple hundred dollars) was for insurance purposes only. Im not trying to confuse anyone, Im just trying to help my new girlfriend out and Im passing along the info Im getting as accurately as possible. I hope this puts things into a better perspective. Im in no way familiar with how diamonds are bought and sold. Thats why Im here for everyones advice.

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

can anyone help?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 12-29-05 , 10:32 AM

Can anyone help me now that I have posted all the specs that I have? (until I get a replacemetn GIA cert) I want to figure out where to sell this and for how much so I don't get ripped off. Thanks.

Old LagunaMom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
LagunaMom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 12-29-05 , 11:38 AM

I'm not an expert, but I cannot imagine that an F diamond of less than 2 carats with a VS2 clarity--even with the best cutting in the world-- would be worth anywhere near $30,000. Half that, sure. Am I off here?

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 12-29-05 , 11:48 AM

I saw a post here for a daimond with very simalr specs for 16,700 for jsut the stone. Is that about right for the stone? How much of a premium will I get for the Tiffany's name? Also how shoudl I sell it? Do I need to auction it at christie's, or ebay it, or try to sell it some other way? Should I try to find an Independant certified apraiser here in Manhattan and pay to hae it Re-certified and appraised fairly? If so does anyone know soemone who is in the NY, manhattan area? Thanks

Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Selling your ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 12-29-05 , 09:56 PM

I believe that slwiley is correct about the price.
You are never going to get anywhere near $30k, you would be lucky to get 20k and that is if you sold it to a "retail" customer.
The name Tiffany has no dollar affect on the diamond itself. It might help you sell the mounting instead of gettting $150. for it, you might get $400. for it but that's it. As I stated in my previous post, if you want to get money and walk away with cash immediately, you are going to be looking at $15k or so. If you want to take the risk of finding a buyer, waiting to get paid and hope the way you sell it doesn't turn out to be a scam then you would be entitled to more money. Otherwise, whoever you sell it to is entitled to make a profit for having to go through the same thing. You are going to have to decide if you want the money now or will wait until you find a buyer. that is why what you get for it and who you sell it to matters. Anyone who is going to lay out 15k is entitled to a return on their investment.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Steven
www.tradeyourdiamond.com

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-30-05 , 01:26 AM

so you're saying the platinum tiffany's mount is worth 400.00? Ouch, that's a lot lower than I thought I'd gte for a platinum setting. so If I have some time to spare how should I seek out a buyer? How can I find a etail buyer...Ebay, Christie's auction house ??? I should try to get around 20k if I sell the ring retail? If I decide to sell it wholesale what's the way to go? thanks for all the advice you have all been a great help.

Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Selling a Diamond.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 12-30-05 , 11:48 AM

Yes I am sorry to say that is about what it is worth.
The best place to try and sell is Ebay, you can reach the most people there.
As for selling it, you need to decide if you want the money now without any headaches or troubles, or you want to go for more money and sell it yourself.
Try diamondbuyers.net and there is information there that might help you to decide which way to go.
Thanks,
Steven

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

How to safely sell on Ebay???
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 12-30-05 , 12:20 PM

Iím going to be patient and try to sell this ring on ebay. Iím assuming I will maximize my selling price on Ebay because every time I mention Christie's auction house here in New York no one comments. So Iím going to assume Christe's auction house isn't a good way to sell my diamond. My girlfriend is very scared of me selling this ring on ebay because of scammers. How can I sell the ring and ensure both the buyer and seller does not get ripped off? How should I list the ring? Iím assuming I need to get that GIA cert and scan it on to the web page and then try to add some digital pics of the ring. Any suggestions on how to get a good digital pic of the ring? (Proper lighting, flash, etc??). Should I offer to meet the buyer in a reputable shop so the staff can verify my ring to the potential buyer? Iím scared to take anything but bank wire or cash because people are even scamming now with certified checks and money orders. Thanks for all the help; hopefully once I get these last questions answered I will be ready to sell the ring on Ebay.

Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Selling a diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 12-30-05 , 01:04 PM

These questions are one of the reasons people just go and sell their diamonds to people like us.
It is very hard to do business and you have an expensive diamond that would attract criminals.
For the amount of money your stone is, you are going to have to keep it to wire transfers. No one is going to hand you $20k in cash.
You can sell this stone with just a copy of the GIA cert online, but a picture of the ring might help.
You have one other option if this doesn't work.
You can try and sell the ring on consignment with a reputable jeweler. this might be your best option. Let me know how it goes and if you do not sell it and I will see if I can help you.

Thanks,
Steven

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 12-30-05 , 01:45 PM

Thanks for all the help. I will discus our options with my girlfriend tonight. I can almost gaurantee I will end up consigning/selling to someone like yourself because of her extreme reservations with selling on Ebay. How Can I reach you to get the details of how a consignment or outright sale would work?
Thanks

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=254, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 12-30-05 , 03:01 PM

Slwiley,
SSJewels is a Network Jeweler here on DT. you can click on his avatar or his signature to connect with him via email or PM.

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old ssjewels

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Selling a Diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 12-30-05 , 03:11 PM

You can send me an email directly, I would be happy to do what I can for you.
gold@ssjewels.com

Thanks,
Steven

ssjewels signature
Thanks,

Steven
Old giacadman

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
giacadman is infamous around these parts giacadman is infamous around these parts giacadman is infamous around these parts giacadman is infamous around these parts giacadman is infamous around these parts giacadman is infamous around these parts giacadman is infamous around these parts giacadman is infamous around these parts
Hits: Out=546, In=0

Interested buyer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 12-30-05 , 04:27 PM

Slwiley,

Hi there I just read your post and I am an interested buyer with immediate payment for your ring. I have bought 4 other diamond rings from this board and I am a GIA gemologist. If you would like to talk further you can email me, thank you.

Louis Benowitz G.G.
lou@rpwax.com

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

GIA cert
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 01-04-06 , 10:16 AM

I am requesting a duplicate copy of the GIA cert. I should have it in 7 - 10 days.

Old denverappraiser

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all
Hits: Out=1200, In=28

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 01-04-06 , 02:18 PM

Keep us posted on the offers you get.

I will be surprised if a dealer will offer you your requested $20k but it doesnít hurt to ask. The duplicate GIA report will definitely help. You can use the search engine at the top of the page and the dealers own websites to find offers from dealers for similar goods. These are their asking prices and, naturally, theyíre expecting to make a profit in the deal so I would expect a dealer to pay less than these prices but this may give you a decent idea of where to start.

Itís slightly unusual that Tiffany wonít do insurance replacement documentation on a ring that they sold. Is there more to this story? Are they saying that the ring is not a genuine Tiffany product? It doesnít really matter to the current issue because the budget required to replace the diamond with a new one at Tiffanyís isnít really the question youíre asking, but I would recommend you ask them for clarification of their report and why they are writing only about the center diamond.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Old slwiley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

insurance replacement
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 01-04-06 , 02:37 PM

Tiffany's did give me a new insurance replacement certificate, but they did not give me a replacement GIA certificate. The Tiffany's representitive explained to my girlfriend that the apraisal was not a normal aprasial. They said it was for insurance purposes only and the ring probally cost more in the store than they put on the insurance certificate. (at least that's how my girlfirend described to me what they told her.) It seems like none of that matters aftermarket anyways. Im going to get whatever the diamond is worth aftermarkert plus whatever extra I can get for the tiffany's name brand on the platinum setting. The guys here are saying that I should not expect to get much more for the ring becasue it was bought at Tiffany's.

The Tiffany's cert is where I got the specs/info I posted earlier and that's where the GIA number came from. This is definitely an authentic Tiffany's ring, its a shame that I can't take advantage of that to make back a little more money. One of the guys here told me if I wanted to ask Tiffany's pricing I needed to be in business for 100 plus years and then I can ask the Tiffany's premium.

Old denverappraiser

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all
Hits: Out=1200, In=28

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 01-04-06 , 05:26 PM

Tiffany rings do bring a premium on the secondary market; it's just not as much of a premium as you want. I understand the problem. Tiffany charged a healthy price to whoever bought the ring and itís a pity that you canít get more of this back when you resell it. Lifeís like that. By all means, sell it for as much as you can get and you should definitely point out the Tiffany brand in your sales presentation but donít expect this to be what makes or breaks the deal, especially if youíre selling to a dealer. To quote a famous British philosopher, ďYou canít always get what you wantĒ.

The resale value of most used mountings is usually fairly close to the salvage value of the metal. Currently platinum is a little under $30/gram. If youíve got a scale handy you can easily figure out what the metalís worth.

The brand premium doesn't apply to the diamond because it's so easy to put a non-Tiffany diamond into a Tiffany mounting. It happens regularly. Sensible buyers will just assume that this to be the case. Without seeing the piece, I wouldnít venture a guess what you may be able to get for the mounting but itís simply isnít a major issue. If the question is about money, 95% of your money is going to be about that center diamond.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Similar settings Smaller price tag by whoknew
Up a Topic New here would appreciate your opinions posted in JEWELRY by LCole
Older:
Down a Topic Pear1 by pear1
Down a Topic IDEX International Diaomd Exchange posted in DIAMONDS by d4u