Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old zuffastrum

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 0
zuffastrum is on a distinguished road

Ebay with IGI Cert.... trustworthy?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-23-05 , 08:28 AM

Hi i'm new, and have read over the past few weeks a few threads, so I hope i'm not repeating too much.

I've found a loose diamond on ebay and i asked for the cert and it was emailed across immediately. The reply from the sender is prompt, the feedback is all positive (... a little too positive?), and he had no problems sending the report. I checked on http://www.toolhaus.org/ and all was good. He actually has a shop rather than individual postings for sale.... if that matters any?

Without promting he also volunteered the following info:

I understand you need further information, thatís fine. We are able to e-mail these documents but not fax, hope thatís OK?

I have attached the certificate paper work for the 0.21 Princess Diamond Loose Diamond http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/0-21-Ct-Princ...oQQcmdZViewItem Iíd need to check with the workshop, but Iím sure we would be able to set any of the loose stones we have in the shop into a ring, we also have a large stock of diamonds that are not currently listed on the site. It comes down to size and budget

As for the 5054525236, this is an uncertified diamond, if you have a look at our shop pages you we see why we use these type of diamonds. They are all graded as G/H type colour and of general SI clarity, but they are not certified (Like the one above) as it keeps the cost down. However as you see above we are able to provide either type of diamond to match your requirements.

Whist we use the G/H Ė SI uncertified range to keep the cost down, this does not mean we compromise on quality. We only supply good quality diamonds, as we do not want rings returned to us or unhappy customers. You can see that from our feedback.

Hope this helps you, and please do feel free to contact me for whatever reason, we are here to help you make the right purchase.

So I guess after this rather long babble the question is, can I check with the IGI to verify the gem as it has a report number and laserscribe? Is there a database to match the supposed report findings to see if photoshop has been involved?

Also, although there are many differring opinions on whether or not ebay is legitimate, any if a certified or not diamond is better, if anyone wishes to make general comments on the above then I would be most appreciative.

Thanking you all.

Adrian.

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old MrMaxwell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
MrMaxwell is on a distinguished road

Re: Ebay with IGI Cert.... trustworthy?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-23-05 , 03:11 PM

Look for GIA/AGS/EGL certs in that order
EGL is often a grade off
I think EGL USA is the best EGL lab

Also, I think that you should be sure of what type of GIA grading has been done.. Has it actually been sent into the GIA lab or was it simply graded by a gia certified gemoligist type of person?

Old MrMaxwell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-23-05 , 03:12 PM

PS: Sorry to double post but I've seen stores selling IGI diamonds,
They didn't look to good to me.
Over priced and over graded!

Old zuffastrum

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-23-05 , 05:04 PM

That's all I had to hear. I went back and searched again and found plenty of stuff on IGI.... bit embarrasing but I assumed I had a GIA cert.... so no more needing to double post.... i'm going to search again for a better quality diamond. Sorry and Thanks all

Old MrMaxwell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-23-05 , 06:36 PM

What about AGS and EGL?
I've seen you selling EGL...
Is it only alright if you agree with their grade.. or.. ?

Not saying you're not an honest seller, I've never seen or heard of you misrepresenting anything,
But to say nothing can be recommended if it's not GIA doesn't make sense at all,
You're saying you could not recommend AGS?

Old MrMaxwell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-23-05 , 07:10 PM

That's reasonable.. And I like Mr. David because he's a little eccentric (just as I am)
For example,
One of his listings right now says that the diamond "looks like a turd" to him

It takes balls to express yourself like that - even I would be afraid to say something like that :=)

Old zuffastrum

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-24-05 , 04:37 AM

OK... SO then as I understand it, the IGI is 'argueably' the lowest rating cert for a diamond, and perhaps I could even consider the cert being a grade off or more. But then again, if the gem is only .20, and by getting the GIA cert would add another 20% to the costs when I can assume already that it is probably a grade under what the original cert states, is there any point? Technically I then know the grade...

I'm guessing then, that when you start looking at 1 carat and above, GIA certs (or similalry highly ranked equivalents) are essential. Therefore if the gem is small, and you can get a .21 for less than USD 400 and its around a grade less than what the IGI report says, then perhaps this will suffice? It's not like I'll be re-cutting it or putting in a shop for resale.

But of course this then raises the question of never actually seeing the diamond to know how it looks. But then again i'm no expert so even if I saw it I wouldn't know if it looked like a 'turd' or not anyway.

So then just to go out on a limb, I can get a .17 with no cert in a setting of 18K white g, sent to me for less than USD 380. According to the seller there is no cert caus its not worth it but its probably around the G/H Ė SI range (IGI i assume). So then there's probably no point in even asking if he has a GIA trained rep or not because even then they could say anything they liked....

Jeez this business is tough! Normal office jobs don't do it to you?

Old MrMaxwell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-24-05 , 01:38 PM

I don't know that I'd even believe that IGI was within TWO color grades,,
EGL I know has been known to be a grade off some times.. and that would be EGL USA - I don't know anything about the other EGL labs

Old EllisONE

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 33
EllisONE is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-01-11 , 02:34 AM

I would really only trust GIA grading certificates. They won't grade too generously like some other labs do. Their reports are accurate and their grading is strict. Especially since you are buying online, you need to know exactly what it is you are buying, including all the 4 C's of your stone. (and btw, GIA created the 4 C's in the first place!)

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Egl Vs Gia Need Some Help Here by trublu4u
Up a Topic Egl Vs Gia Need Some Help Here posted in DIAMONDS by trublu4u
Older:
Down a Topic The different diamond certificates by skyline18
Down a Topic The different diamond certificates posted in DIAMONDS by skyline18