Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old phumigator

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
phumigator is on a distinguished road

Resizing several sizes down
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-11-05 , 12:32 PM

This is my first post and would like some advice.

I just got engaged on our vacation this week. My fiance gave me his late grandmother's ring. She raised him while his mother was ill for several years. She passed away unfortunately before we started dating. She gave it to him on her deathbed a few years ago and told him to give it to someone special. He's been saving it for just this occasion.

The ring is several sizes too big. I stopped in at a jewelry store in the airport to check the size of the ring and my finger. I think my finger is a size 4 and the ring is a size 7. The salesman said that the ring is size 15 and my finger is a 7. I think one size is Asian and the other is universal.

Anyway, reading this forum, I learned that resizing 2 sizes is not a problem but I'll be looking at least 3 sizes difference. Will they have to splice the ring? If so, can I keep the extra gold to have it incorporated into his wedding ring (sentimental reasons).

Also, the style of the ring may look awful after it's resized down because it is such a thick ring.

I mentioned to my boyfriend (oops fiance now) that I don't like yellow gold very much since it may also limit what type of watch I wear, other jewelry, etc. I like white gold or platinum better. I suggested that we reset the diamond into a different band but he would prefer that we just either buy another ring and save this family heirloom as an occasion ring.

I wore the ring a few days on my middle finger (keeping the finger crooked so that the ring won't fall off) and I noticed his pride when I wear his grandmother's ring. I have decided that I would like to keep the ring as my engagement ring because it will mean more to both of us than some new storebought ring.

Forgive the length of this post but here are my questions if anyone can give me some advice.

1) Can a ring be resized down more than 2 sizes and will it affect the look of the ring? See pictures enclosed.

2) Should I size the ring small since I will eventually wear my wedding band inside the engagement ring? We haven't picked wedding rings yet because it'll probably be at least a year before we get married.

3) Is it worth it to reset the diamonds into a ring that suits me better?

4) If I decide to keep this ring as an engagement ring, will it look awful if I try to go with a white gold/platinum wedding ring (perhaps with some yellow gold in it to try to complement the e-ring)?

5) Should we get the ring appraised? We have no idea what the ring is worth, what size or quality of the diamonds (yes we're both very ignorant when it comes to jewelry).

Thanks.

Attached Images
DSC02618.JPG DSC02615.JPG DSC02614.JPG DSC02616.JPG

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Daniela7474

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Daniela7474 is infamous around these parts Daniela7474 is infamous around these parts

Re: Resizing several sizes down
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-11-05 , 02:20 PM

I really like your ring! It's so unique and very beautiful. I agree that wearing this ring as your engagement ring is more meaningful than a storebought ring. I don't know anything about sizing rings up or down, I just think that if there is a problem sizing it down, maybe they could melt this gold and re-create the same look in a smaller size so that it will fit you properly AND yoru fiance will be pleased that it's the same look/style and same gold.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 261
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2025, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-11-05 , 03:04 PM

phumigator,
1.Sizing that ring down 3 sizes should not present any problems to a competent bench jeweler. There would most likely be a very small amount of gold left over that could be incorporated into the wedding ring, but you have to be carefull of contaminating a casting with solder from an area in that ring that may have been resized previously. This makes the casting brittle. So it's best to avoid using material from the sizing area of the ring unless all solder can be removed from it.
2. If you like the ring you can have the wedding band custom made to fit it. If you don't like the ring then see #3.
3. Sure, you can use some of the material in this ring to be incorporated into the new ring and get the style that you prefer, using those existing diamonds and still carry some of the sentimentality of the old ring with you.
4. You can do that rather easily, BUT I would consider how you will feel about using this old ring like this. If it doesn't suit you, then it may be best to use the diamonds in a new ring and reset his grandmothers ring with her birthstone as well as any birthstones of any children that you may have and make this ring into a "family" ring that can be passed down through further generations. This way everyone is happy and the existing ring along with its emotional meaning is preserved.
5. Yes. You should get it appraised along with a good description of the diamonds that are in it. you should also get the prongs inspected very closely. The picture makes the center stone look as if the prong tips are very short and perhaps holding the stone rather poorly. Hard to tell from a picture, so it's better safe than sorry !

Michael_E signature
Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-12-05 , 01:44 PM

If a jeweller who examines the ring suggests that you shouldn't size it down that far because it will distort, or crack, or the settings will be compromised, offer him/her the following suggestion:

Make another ring which will fit inside of that one and take up the space to correct the size to fit your finger. It should be welded or soldered in place.
It can be trimmmed to the edges to conform beautifully, and will thicken and preserve the integrity of the entire ring...worn areas and all.

auplatinumman signature
Have you hugged your goldsmith today?
Read Messages in: Bench Work All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Eternity band question by Dagny
Up a Topic POLL Who wears a 3 stone ring posted in DIAMONDS by Berob
Older:
Down a Topic Form Function by BrianKnox
Down a Topic For your refrigerator door posted in Chit Chat by auplatinumman