Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 1stdiamond

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
1stdiamond is on a distinguished road

How do I know it's an ideal cut
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-05-05 , 07:14 PM

Let me start out with saying I really appreciate all of the info I have learned on this forum over the last couple of months. I makes one much more comfortable entering the market of buying a diamond ring. I am currently shopping for a princess cut 1.65 to 1.75 diamond. I know that the cut is of the utmost importance, and want to make sure that I get an ideal cut princess. Also, I am only looking at GIA certified diamonds. My question is:
1. How do I know I am getting an ideal cut diamond?

2. How do I know the diamond matches the GIA certificate?

I appreciate any assistance from any of you.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old JamesAllen

My Profile
View profile photo
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:
Visit my blog :

My Karma
Power: 91
JamesAllen is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4258, In=0

Re: How do I know it's an ideal cut
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-05-05 , 07:38 PM

1stdiamond,

Welcome to DT. The term "ideal cut" was originally reserved for round diamonds that met a fairly strict set or proportions. The AGS lab really made this idea popular with their grading reports which use the word "Ideal" to describe possible ratings for polish, symmetry and overall proportions.

When it comes to a princess cuts, however, there are not really the same set of "universal standards" that are used to define what is best. AGS has now come out with new reports to specifically address this issue, but princess cuts with the new AGS reports are relatively rare and expensive.

For my two cents I would concentrate on trying to find a princess-cut that had a smaller table (say under 70%) and some type of visual evidence of it's light performance. This could be a light scope type image or BS report. We stock some beautiful princess diamonds, as do many of the other vendors who participate on this board.

As to your last question, any diamond you buy should come with a reasonable return period and original laboratory reports. Having a local jeweler or gemologist examine your purchase and compare it against the report will give you the reassurance that all is well.

Best of luck!

JamesAllen signature
James Allen Diamonds, Inc.
www.jamesallen.com
877-826-9866
Old 1stdiamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-05-05 , 08:22 PM

Thank you so much for the info. One more question. Does all jewelry stores have the BS report on hand for all their diamonds

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 171
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-05-05 , 10:38 PM

Hi 1st;

Welcome to DT.

Not all jewelers have the Brilliancescope on premises.

There is no such thing as an "ideal princess cut". There are no hard and fast rules as there are many combinations that will result in a beautiful diamond in this shape.

Case in point: Enclosed is a Princess Cut diamond that we recently sold to a client from our Diamond Specials section that clearly shows why "rules" and "numbers" for this shape are meaningless. It has a table greater than it's total depth, a combination that many vendors and self-proclaimed internet forum "experts" will advise you to stay away from.

Look again. The Brilliancescope shows superb light performance, rarely if ever seen in the majority of Princess cut diamonds. The red arrows in the photo are pointing to areas of strong contrast which insure that this diamond will be seen in all kinds of lighting conditions and environments. The overall facet alignment of this stone is excellent and is being picked up by the Brilliancescope. On the "numbers" alone, many would advise to reject this diamond and you would be passing up on a winner!

The bottom line is that Princess Cuts cannot be evaluated on "numbers" alone and consumers need to obtain more information in order to make an informed buying decision.

Attached Images
153 Princess Collage for DT.jpg

Old 1stdiamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-06-05 , 10:54 AM

Thank you for the information barry, it really is a great help. Would it be fair to say that I should not buy a princess cut diamond without seeing a BS report?
What do I do if the jewler does not have the machine available in the store? Can they send the diamond out to have the test done?

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-06-05 , 10:56 AM

They can send it to Gemex for testing, but there is a fee plus shipping/insurance.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-06-05 , 02:23 PM

Here is data for a Princess cut diamond with the very "sweet" numbers.

You would predict light performance off the charts, right?

Attached Images
123 G SI1 PRIN DT.jpg

Old 1stdiamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-06-05 , 03:29 PM

that answers my question. Dont buy the diamond without the bs report unless you have a good eye for seeing the sparkles. I looked at a few diamonds the other day and had difficulty seeing the difference in the diamonds when they were faced up, and they were of various qualities.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-06-05 , 08:40 PM

Yes, indeed Webgal, "Pretty" beautiful...and the best part is that it defies the conventional internet wisdom put forth by the armchair pundits

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 10-10-05 , 01:34 PM

Here is the completed ring, just back to us from the Vatche factory.

The Platinum X Prong for Princess Cut.

Attached Images
153 prin-5.jpg 153 prin-2.jpg 153 prin-3.jpg 153 prin-4.jpg 153 prin-6.jpg 153 prin-1.jpg

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 10-10-05 , 01:55 PM

These photos clearly demonstrate that you can't evaluate Princess Cuts on the "numbers" alone. In addition to the superb light performance, note this diamond's excellent contrast, an integral component for the stone to stand out and be seen on the 'scene' in all kinds of lighting environments.

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16781, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 10-10-05 , 04:08 PM

BTW in case you didn't know it, there are some great princess cuts in the DT database with pictures and light performance.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is this a good Diamond by SNT
Up a Topic Is this a good Diamond posted in DIAMONDS by SNT
Older:
Down a Topic Asscher dimaond by christie2378
Down a Topic New from Texas and need to know something about coloured diamonds posted in Greet New Members by kitkat08