Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old matt110281

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
matt110281 is on a distinguished road

Would a diamond chip as it is being taken out of an old setting?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-05-05 , 01:55 PM

I took my great-grandmothers ring to be appraised so I could have the diamond taken out and put in an engagement ring for my girlfriend.

They had some difficulty prying the diamong out of the prongs and I really thought they were going to break something.

When they were looking at the stone they told me there was a chip, which they said had previously been concealed by a prong. I have no idea if this is plausible or if they did it as they were taking it out?

Does it matter a great deal? When it is being re-set for my girlfriend should they be able to cover the chip?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  Yellow Gold ? Pure Decadence

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 424
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3475, In=260
Referrals: 23

Re: Would a diamond chip as it is being taken out of an old setting?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-05-05 , 02:15 PM

Hmmmm?

Prying a diamond out of a setting is never a good idea.

Diamond rings and crowns should be cut apart if necesarry to spare any potential damage to a larger diamond.

Prying a diamond out of a setting presents a very real danger of damage.

In fairness, some settings present a difficult removal of a diamond, but all settings, even full bezels can and should be cut apart if necesarry.

Better to spare the diamond at the expense of the ring.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 262
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2042, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-05-05 , 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt110281
They had some difficulty prying the diamong out of the prongs and I really thought they were going to break something.

If you thought that they were going to break something, then they were doing it incorrectly. There are a lot of ways to remove a diamond and Brian is absolutely right in say that cutting it out is best. If the prongs are big enough to see, then they should be "lifted" with the tool for that job. A sharp, new set of diagonal cutters will make a good lifter as well. This puts NO stress on the stone and is the way to do it if not cutting. If the stone is held in place with beads, then those beads MUST be cut off with a sharp graver, (a small chisel). Prying on any gemstone will place stress against an edge at its weakest point and can chip it fairly easily.

Does it matter ? Well you can't do anything now and it may have been done before, so what can you do ???? If the chip is small enough then it can be easily hidden with a prong, but I would avoid letting anyone set the stone who tried to pry it out. This is because hiding the chip means bending the prong down against a thinner, weakened area of the stone. Anyone who would pry a diamond out of a setting will not have the skill to set it properly without potentially chipping it further. Make sure that whoever sets the stone knows what they are doing and examine the stone yourself to make sure that no futher damage is done when it is set.

Michael_E signature
Old matt110281

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-05-05 , 02:37 PM

Thanks for the advice Brian.

They already took it out and there is a chip. Is there any way of figuring out if the chip was there before or if they did it as they took it out? Would they be liable in some way if they did it?

Also, as I never plan on selling the diamond does it really matter? If the chip can be covered by a prong does it have any other implications for the aesthetics of the diamond?

Matt

Old matt110281

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-05-05 , 02:39 PM

Thanks Michael, I didn't see your post when I reposted. I think that answers some of my questions.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 460
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=122, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-05-05 , 09:13 PM

Wow Matt, I'm sorry your special diamond was so poorly treated.... pet rocks don't need that kind of aggravation ... find someone who respects the sentimentality, and value, of your stone...

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Please help me from getting ripped off by rbfskie99
Up a Topic What do you think of my Ruby Opinions Please posted in Gemstones Photo Gallery by GemGuy77
Older:
Down a Topic Looking to get into this field of work im 19 by Kingsey
Down a Topic Looking to get into this field of work im 19 posted in DIAMONDS by Kingsey