Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ed112

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ed112 is on a distinguished road

Cartier 1895?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-03-05 , 08:58 PM

Hello all,

Need your opinions!

How do you guys feel about the Cartier 1895 setting/ring?

How are the cuts of the Cartier diamonds? Anything to look out for when shopping there? How are they compared to Tiffanys?

What do you guys think about bluenile?

Thanks!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Re: cartier 1895
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-03-05 , 10:19 PM

These two very established jewellers guarantee you the very best money can buy.
Blue Nile?
You're talking about the difference between apples and cumquats.
Online, or brick and mortar?
Depends on how you wish to do business.
Each has their merits, and it's up to you to decide which sort of business you want to support.

auplatinumman signature
Have you hugged your goldsmith today?
Old ed112

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-03-05 , 10:33 PM

I mentioned bluenile.com due to the information they disclose to you about the diamond - mainly the cut information which cartier nor tiffany's really talked about.

Eitherway, I am definitely leaning towards the 1895. I like the relatively low setting and overall design. I only plan on doing this once, and she means a lot to me!

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-03-05 , 11:12 PM

I have purchased diamonds from bluenile and Tiffany's... I really can't tell the difference other than the price. However, bluenile does offer 30 day money back. I took this opportunity to bring it 3 independant jewelers and they were pleased by the quality. Even the lady at Tiffany's was surprised....

I'd check though for a brillancescpe for light leakage. I know Barry could tell you more about this.

What kind of stone are you looking for?

Old IWU9

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 46
IWU9 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-04-05 , 08:30 PM

I have a friend who was torn between Tiffany's and Cartier. He ended up going with Cartier because he preferred the 4-prong classic setting versus the 6-probg one at Tiffany's. Both stores have very nice diamonds! Bluenile might be priced better, though.

Old ed112

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-04-05 , 09:20 PM

Yeah, I like the Cartier setting better as well... I'm leaning towards something like a 1.5 carat, VVS1/2 D or E.

What do you guys think?

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-04-05 , 10:26 PM

WOW, who ever the lucky lady you're buying for Ed112, will be just thrilled!! I'd go for a E instead of a D, you really can't tell the difference.... I can't... Granted I'm not GIA educated and such, but maybe save the extra money for a really nice wedding band, or for your honeymoon??

The cartier setting sounds yummy! What ever you choose, be sure to post a pic (if you don't mind).

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 57
andreayung23 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-11-05 , 04:51 PM

At Cartier and Tiffany's you're pretty much guaranteed a nice stone. Granted, you pay a premiun for their design, but you'll have piece of mind that comes along with the service and care that comes with, and well after your purchase. Not to mention the bonus she'll get when she gets to say "It's a Cartier" or "It's from Tiffany's"

That said, if you're looking for top quality, great service, and equally great prices, then I would go through some of the jewelers here on DT. Even though you may deal with them online and not be able to visit their stores, the service is unmatched, and they own all the stones they sell (unlike BlueNile) They have equally good trade-in, return, and buyback policies, which will help if you decide on something else, or upgrade in the future. Bonus for working with DT jewlers is that they are DIAMOND experts. They can give you more info and charts/reports, numbers, etc. than you will ever need or know what to do with!

If you like the Cartier 1895 (and who doesn't) you can have a replica made by someone here on DT as well. Also check out artofplatinum.com. I heard Leon is great to work with, and if I remember correctly, a DT'er, elizabeth17, had her ring custom made from them and it was modeled after the Cartier she liked.

Anywhoo...sorry to go on for so long, but keep up with the research here, and I'm sure you'll find something you love that fits the bill in ever way.

Good luck!

andreayung23 signature
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart -Confucious
Old JanetinMpls

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
JanetinMpls is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-18-05 , 01:19 AM

My fiance bought me that engagement ring. I love it. I am so glad he went this route over the ordinary mall jewelry stores. I love how pretty this ring is. I think it says a lot that he took the time and thought through the process. He too debated a lot between Cartier and Tiffany. I inadvertently told him I did not like the knife-edge of the Tiffany ring. He agreed and by this time he had already purchased the Cartier ring! I love my ring and really think she'll love it too! I realize that you may have already made the purchase but let me know how it went!! Congrats!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Which one to go for by Keigotw
Up a Topic Replace 6 prong head with 4 prong head posted in JEWELRY by bethy
Older:
Down a Topic Question on Polish by Rod
Down a Topic Question on Polish posted in DIAMONDS by Rod