Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 283
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2562, In=1
Referrals: 3

Goofy lawsuit against GIA
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-27-05 , 12:26 PM

This lawsuit has been going on a while and doesn't seem to be getting the plaintiff anywhere. Good thing. Here's one link:
http://www.jckgroup.com/article/CA6...atory+%26+Legal

Basically a buyer of the plaintiff's did not agree with the GIA about the quality of a couple of diamonds and declined to buy them once they had seen them. SOOOO, he sues the GIA because their opinion differs from his clients opinion. HMMM, I think that's kind of goofy.

The GIA makes a point of telling everyone that their diamond grading reports are their opinon, (an expert opinon, but still just an opinion), and that your opinion may differ once you view the stone. How the heck can you sue someone, (the GIA), because their opinion differs from your clients opinion ?

This brings up an important point about just what grading reports or "certs" are and what they are NOT. They ARE an expert opinion produced by an organization with the best reputation and the greatest integrity of any grading organization in the world. As a buyer at any level, YOUR opinion may not agree with theirs and you should buy any particular stone based on how you view the stone when you are looking at it and not on what the report says. These reports are NOT a guarantee by the GIA, in any sense of the word and the GIA is very particular in making this as clear as they can in the language that is printed on every report that they issue.

I don't think that this suit has a prayer of getting anywhere, but weirder things have happened. What do you folks think ?

Michael_E signature
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old barry

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 175
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Re: Goofy lawsuit against GIA
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-27-05 , 02:41 PM

Stranger things have indeed happened.

How about this one from the records of the NYC Police Dept:

They were pursuing a fleeing mugger in the subway station who was shouted at to "Stop, Police!" several times. He turned to fire, and was shot in the leg by Police. The mugger was apprehended but subsequently sued the City of NY and the NYC Police for 7 mil for "wrongful injury".

He won.

Ask the Vegas bookies what odds they give GIA.

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 383
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Re: Goofy lawsuit against GIA
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-27-05 , 02:42 PM

Isn't GIA a "non-profit" organization? I think it is someone trying to get rich. You never know anymore with lawsuits....some of the most hideous lawsuits out there have won!!! ~Ronda

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Anyone hide their ring because it s too big by FairyDust
Up a Topic Are all stores on diamond row NYC trustworthy posted in Greet New Members by Payperview
Older:
Down a Topic Poll which is tougher to choose Diamond or Setting by takeachance
Down a Topic Poll which is tougher to choose Diamond or Setting posted in DIAMONDS by takeachance