Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Mince

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Mince is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone/ need some help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-25-05 , 10:37 PM

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I am 31 years old and live in Cleveland, Ohio. I found this forum when I was trying to do some research about the types of posts that can be used in diamond earrings. My loving husband bought me a pair of earrings, each stone being 1/2 carat. The posts are threaded like screws to keep them from being lost. I would like to know if there is another type of post that works as well as these but doesn't have threads, as I can't seem to get them on my ears without a good deal of pain, and then swelling resulting from the scraping and irritation. They really leave my earlobes unfit to wearing earrings for about a week after I put them on. The posts and setting is 18k gold, so it is not a problem involving a base metal irritation. I appreviate any input as I can't seem to find any real info on the web.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old ecf8503

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
ecf8503 is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Re: Hi everyone/ need some help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-25-05 , 11:58 PM

Hi Mince, and welcome to DT!

With stud earrings there are basically 2 things to consider - the "basket" (what the stone sits in) and the post / back assembly it is attached to.

If the screw backs aren't working for you, then I'd consider either a heavy pushback or what is known as a LaPoussette or tension back. The LaPousette has a squeeze mechanism that allows it to attach more securely to the post itself, as I am told.

However, as with anything, people are etitiled to opinions - and others have said that the squeeze mechanism is awkward and that heavy, well constructed push backs are just as secure and easier to operate. The tension / LaPousettes are also more expensive.

Another thing to consider if you are thinking of a remount is the "droop factor" (obviously more of a problem with bigger, heavier stones) - 4 or 6 prong baskets that hold the stone away from the ear tend to droop. A newer hot option right now is the 3-prong martini setting - just like it sounds, the setting looks like a martini glass, with the stone resting deeper into the ear itself with little to no drooping, but the construction still allows for great light performance from the stones.

This is a pic of the 3-prong martini from Barry's site (Excel Diamonds) -

Attached Images
Excel martini.jpg Excel martini 2.jpg

Old waltrip88

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
waltrip88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-26-05 , 01:59 AM

I don't recomend La Pousette either

Old Mince

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Mince is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-27-05 , 12:20 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will look into friction posts, they sound like a feasible alternative to the screws.

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Are all stores on diamond row NYC trustworthy by Payperview
Up a Topic Red spinel three stone ring posted in Jewelry Design by colormyworld
Older:
Down a Topic Looking for Engagement Ring and Need Help with Tiffany Etiole by forbeer
Down a Topic Hand Sanitizer posted in DIAMONDS by MLD