Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old doraldine

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
doraldine is on a distinguished road

Question on sizing down a platinum ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-30-05 , 09:12 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm writing because I have a question on sizing a platinum ring. My husband bought me a beautiful platinum ring for our 10 year anniversary. It has a 1 carat round diamond in the middle and two smaller diamonds on the side. It also has four small round diamonds set into each side of the band. He bought the ring at Costco and it is currently a "7". They cannot special order in specific sizes. I need a "4.5" I took it to a jeweler and was told that it would be better to take it back than to have it sized down because there would be the following problems:

1. There is a good possibility that the rings in the band (individually set) will pop out when they bend the ring to size it down. If this happens, they will have to retip the setting for those diamonds. They will be unable to retip in platinum because in order to melt platinum, the temp is too high and will "burn" the diamonds so they will have to retip in white gold.

2. The ring will have a line across the bottom of the band where it was cut.

3. The ring will be oval, not round.

They definitely discouraged me about getting the ring sized. I love the ring and really don't want to take it back. Can anyone tell me whether the above statements are true? I'm looking for a second opinion before I give up on sizing my beautiful ring. Also, if it's possible, can anyone give me a recommendation for a jeweler in the Phoenix area?

Thanks!!

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old doraldine

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Question on sizing down a platinum ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-30-05 , 10:11 PM

Attached are pics - sorry, they aren't very good but hopefully will give you an idea of how far the diamonds go down the band. Thanks!

Attached Images
2.JPG 3.JPG 1.JPG

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 195
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=325, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-30-05 , 10:25 PM

Hi there. I'm no expert, but the general "rule" is two sizes up/down. You are asking for 3.5 sizes and that's a LOT!

I do not know about burning the diamonds, but I do think going down so many sizes is not going to work. There is somekind of laser they can use on platinum that is better and does not get as hot (as I understand it). But it is usually expensive and not everyplace has it. I do not know if that would be a possibility for your case or not.

Perhaps the people at Costco can contact thier other stores to see if they have something closer to you size that they could bring in for you?

Or how about asking the Costco reps who the manufacturer of your ring is? Then perhaps they could order you the correct size. Or you could contact the manufacturer yourself and see if they can take of you.

Good Luck with it. It sure looks like a gorgeous ring!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  Top Ten List of the Most Beautiful Rings of 2014

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 424
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3459, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-30-05 , 11:18 PM

Two and one half sizes is a lot for that ring and could be problematic with regard to the durability of the current diamond settings or prongs.

I would recommend not sizing this ring that much.

The best solution is to have the ring made in your size, seamless, no lines, no worries about loosening the prongs on the diamonds.

It is a common setting and is easily made in your size.

Also, it may not be a good idea to have any other jeweler work on the ring other than cosco, as it may void any warranty or recourse on your part if it turns into the can of worms that I would guess is well over a 50% likelyhood.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Loch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
Loch is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-31-05 , 12:56 AM

Burning a diamond is possible. It can happen during benchwork or during the cutting process if one is not careful. The result from either function can of course be problematic.

Old Loch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
Loch is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-31-05 , 12:59 AM

I forgot to add that Brian and DiamLady have given you great advice regarding your sizing question.

Old doraldine

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-31-05 , 09:41 PM

Thank you all for your detailed responses. I'm sad because I don't want to give up my ring. I tried the local Costco store and the guy manning the diamond case didn't want to give me any other options because he swore up and down that I could get it sized at any "mall." I don't plan on taking my beautiful ring to be sized at a mall. I'm glad to hear a second opinion re sizing. I will try to go to Costco again and push this time for more info re the manufacturer.

Brian, you said that it looks like a common setting. Do you know where I could find another setting like it? I've looked all over the web and can't find another one. I've found some that have the three stones, but don't have the small diamonds set into the band. Also, from the side, the side set diamonds actually look like a pave-type design. I saw another post from you and the ring from the side had looked like mine. Any thoughts on where to look are greatly appreciated in case the Costco thing doesn't work out and I have to return it (which by the way they acted like wouldn't be a problem).

Thanks again everyone for all of your help!

Old doraldine

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-31-05 , 09:45 PM

Brian,
Here's the pic that you posted earlier. The diamonds set in my band look the same from the side as the one in the pic. The only difference is that I have the three stone ring....

Attached Images
dtsample.jpg

Old doraldine

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-31-05 , 09:47 PM

It's the top ring that looks like mine from the side.

Thanks!~

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 459
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=121, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-31-05 , 10:25 PM

doraldine Welcome. You've been given great advice on your ring. I'll add my 2 cents by asking for the Hallmark inside of the ring (it is the manufacturer's signature) and we may be able to tell who made your ring.

And when you go back to Costco, ask for the name of the jeweler buyer/manager at that store. Work your way up until you hit the Regional person for the Phoenix stores. Costco is a volume buyer so I'm not sure you'll get satisfaction but it's worth a try...See what you're told.

in the meantime tell us what's inside the ring

irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old doraldine

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-31-05 , 10:43 PM

Thanks Irish for your reply. There is a name inside the ring and also a number. I'm assuming you're asking for the name? It says "plates". Let me know if its actually the number you need and I can respond with that. Hope this helps you sleuth out the manufacturer....

Thanks a million!

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-31-05 , 10:50 PM

Oh I wonder if that's PLAT. for platinum. not much help there so let's try the number??

irish signature

Last edited by irish : 07-31-05 at 11:03 PM.
Old doraldine

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-31-05 , 10:54 PM

OK, number is 20034260. Unfortunately there are no other markings on the inside....

Thanks!

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-31-05 , 11:01 PM

errrr! okay I'm going to let one of the NJs respond to this info since I'm just a consumer--Don't wnat to give out the wrong info...
Just remember to talk directly to the dept. manager, or the one who can give you more answers than you've gotten from the folks at Costco. Good luck! and let us know what happens..

irish

irish signature

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  Top Ten List of the Most Beautiful Rings of 2014

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 424
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3459, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 08-01-05 , 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doraldine

Brian, you said that it looks like a common setting. Do you know where I could find another setting like it?

I thought it would be relatively common design as it is essentially a three stone trellis look with side trim diamonds.

We have a version, I do not have one made up right now but here is a pic of a smaller (Approx. 1.00 carat total weight) version.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Attached Images
threestonewpave.jpg

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 195
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=325, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 08-01-05 , 12:50 PM

Ohhhh, great job Brian!

That looks like the same ring to me.

Doraldine, I hope you can get some help from Costco. And if not, then it looks Brian can make you the same style!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old Artieoreo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Artieoreo is on a distinguished road

Costco answers...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 08-01-05 , 08:36 PM

...the man in Costco is wrong and Costco says he is wrong on their own website. I believe all costco rings only come in size 7. On costco.com each ring will say weather it can be sized 1,2 or any size for the single setting stones. Their is no way costco will will find you this ring in your personal size. That is the downside of costco. Their upside is a great price, 30 day or sometimes years return policy, Gia reported diamonds (when noted).
Sorry but I would return it and either get one that can be sized or go to a custom jeweler.
Artie

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 262
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2038, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 08-01-05 , 08:55 PM

doraldine,
You can definitely size that ring to the size that you prefer. Of the 3 comments regarding the end result of sizing it only the third one is true, and that is that the ring will be slightly oval after you're finished sizing it.

1. The stones will definitely become loose and some may even pop out. Oh well, just put 'em back and tightend the beads again. No big deal. This thing is platinum and platinum is very malleable, meaning that you can "squish" it all over the place and re-tightening the beads is very easy to do.

2. If the ring is sized using seamless, high temperature solder and done properly, then there will be no line and no diamonds will be burned. This takes skill and planning, but that's what a bench jeweler is supposed to do. Not a problem.

3. The ovalness of the finished ring is kind of dependent on how all of the parts fit together at the head - shank area. If it is too stiff to bend in that area then the curvature there will stay the same and the ring will be slightly oval. This is less pronounced with platinum, since it does bend easier than white gold and should be NO PROBLEM.

I just sized down a very similar ring today in white gold. It went from a little over an 8 to a 5 1/2. Some stones fell out and had to be re-set as well as the center stone retightened. No big deal. Just call around and see if there's someone in your area who does platiunum repairs and be prepared to pay around $100 or even a bit more for this work, but it is possible if you can find the right person to do it.

Michael_E signature
Old tinkerbellfan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 40
tinkerbellfan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 08-01-05 , 09:32 PM

doraldine,

something very similar happened to me. I bought my setting and then the diamond. It turned out the setting needed to be sized down 1/2 size (from 6-1/2 to 6). I was also told all my baguettes would pop out, crack and needed to be reshaped.

The jeweler from whom I bought the center stone had a master jeweler who was willing to take on the challenge. He took out every last baguette, resized and reshaped the ring into a circle (not an oval) and then replaced every baguette properly...then he added my center stone...I'm very happy with the results, but if it wasn't with a master jeweler that I trusted, the results could've been disasterous...

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old sapphirepod

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: ruby

My Karma
sapphirepod is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 08-02-05 , 01:48 PM

I had a ring sized down 2.75 sizes before (from 6 to 3.25). They cut off some gold from all three sides so the ring would be very round again. It's just a simple Tiffany mount, though. After I got the ring back I noticed there's a crack at the bottom of the claws. I think it's from the drastic resizing. They fixed it easily, though. But overall I wouldn't do that again. It's never the same again and the markings inside are partially erased. I try to order all rings in my size, because I'm yet to find a very goldsmith locally.

Old StephenTan

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
StephenTan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 08-08-05 , 10:46 AM

Doraldine,

Just thought I'd add 2 cents from Singapore.

From our experience, re-sizing 3.5 times like yours needs will lead to diamonds coming out.

But, as Michael E says... No problem! Re-setting diamonds is very easy, and this is something any competent bench guy can do.

Sure it takes more time, but it is do-able.

The ring might look more oval, but this can be fixed to a certain extend too.

Best regards,
Stephen Tan

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 253
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=15875, In=5702
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 08-08-05 , 11:11 AM

I also think it can be sized with an experienced jeweler however you may loosen some stones in the process which could be reset. If you can find someone in your area with a laser they might be able to do it without burning up some stones as well since platinum has to get to such a high temperature. But even if they did burn some small stones on the side these could be replaced as well.
It is easier though to get one made in your size if possible. Also that mounting is pretty readily available so I think alot of jewelers could make you one to your size.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Which will stand the test of time by Ashya
Up a Topic Help Educate me on this diamond posted in DIAMONDS by Storx
Older:
Down a Topic Jewelry Consumer Opinion Council by LagunaMom
Down a Topic How important is clarity posted in DIAMONDS by confusedone