Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old cleo

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
cleo is on a distinguished road

ROYAL asscher vs square emerald AKA asscher cut
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-26-05 , 01:30 AM

Hi all...I am sure this question has been posted but it has just come to my light that there is a ROYAL asscher cut and a regular asscher aka square emerald cut. From the little research I have done I figure this...
Asscher is the pet name for the square emerald cut since Asscher designed it back in the day and it has the same qualities as an emerald cut but square like a princess cut. Been around for a long time (about 80 years) and has 57 facets down to the bottom.

A ROYAL Asscher seems to be what the great grand something of Asscher copywritted to protect and make money from the name in 2001 and added about 17 facets to make it different. Until 2001 there was just the before mentioned cut. here is a quote from the website...The modern day Royal Asscher Diamond makes its debut. This new modified version of the Antique Asscher is similar in appearance,with exception of its smaller corners and larger table. The patented Royal Asscher also has 16 more facets added to its design, from the original.

Ok...here is the question. Is the 20 to 30% jump in price for a ROYAL asscher worth it. It is a brand name but I have seen both and can't really tell too much with the naked eye. Seems like it is just a brand name and you are paying a hefty price for it. Will this new "patented" cut hold its value or if the company goes away will it just be a square emerald once more. Just seems funny how this company came to be in the same year it started to get notoriety with reece witherspoon getting one and S ex in the city featuring it.

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask DT page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old ecf8503

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 58
ecf8503 is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Re: ROYAL asscher vs square emerald AKA asscher cut
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-26-05 , 07:20 AM

This is just my opinion, but you should be pleased with what you see. If the look of a Royal Asscher appeals to you more than a non-branded square emerald, then it is worth it. If you can't really see the difference, then the price difference isn't worth it, right?

Yesterday I posted pics of a Royal Asscher that belongs to someone I know. I have seen this stone in many lighting conditions (not just jewelry store lights) and I think it is beautiful. To me, it looks a bit more "busy" (extra factes) than most square emeralds I have seen (which admittedly isn't many), but in a good way - the colors that come off of it are spectacular (RA's are known for that)!

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16776, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-26-05 , 10:25 AM

The Royal Asscher looks different than the square emerald cut that most call asschers. It has additional faceting is more of an octagonal outline and has beautiful flashes of colored light that is emitted because of the cut. Here is a picture of a Royal Asscher and Square emerald cut side by side.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Attached Images
Royal Asscher Comparison #3.jpg

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-26-05 , 10:27 AM

Here is another picture of the Royal Asscher compared to a square emerald cut . Also here is a difference in the plots of the faceting on the square emerald cut versus the Royal Asscher

Jan signature

Attached Images
342VVS2G Royal Asscher #2.jpg comparison of plots on asschers.jpg 150SI1H asscher pic #3.jpg

Old cleo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Money matters
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-27-05 , 03:01 PM

But do you think financially it is worth it. Sometimes having a brand name is good. Close up in those photos I can see the difference. It just scares me to put more money into a diamond to have a "brand name" that is only 4 years old. What are your thoughts...If this company goes out of business am I out of 20%.

Cleo

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-27-05 , 03:38 PM

They've been around for a while, they cut the crown jewels.

Jan signature

Old cleo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-11-05 , 12:07 AM

Just wanted to give an update...My boyfriend got me a 1.5 VS1 I asscher cut (not royal- he had trouble tracking one down in Atlanta and I think he was getting very confused-bless his heart). Not a bad stone considering we were looking at 1.01 VS2 J asschers just the month before but the jewelry store was able to track down this baby. I have gotten nothing but complements and it is such a good cut that it always looks white and bright no matter how dirty it gets...like a mirror with lights surrounding it. He did a good job making sure it was as close to a perfect square as possible and good cut. One funny story...when we were first looking (last march) we went to the Shane company in Atlanta just so I could show him what an asscher or square emerald looked like and they told us that they don't carry that "trendy" cut. Funny coming from a place that has heart shaped diamonds and Princess diamonds that are babies in design compared to an asscher. I have a feeling they will carry it soon but I was able to get mine at Cumberland Diamond Exchange. Cathy over there was a life (and engagement) saver!
Cleo
10-10-05

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-11-05 , 12:17 AM

WOW!!CONGRATS!!! What type of a setting did (or are) you put the diamond in! I LOVE Asschers, but I'm so confused about the different types (square emerald, branded, etc.,). I'll wait till I learn more about those before I buy one. God knows my husband would go nuts trying to figure out the difference... Asschers seem to be more and more popular! Again, congrats!!!

Old cleo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-11-05 , 12:22 AM

Thanks for the well wishes...Here is a pic of the ring...simple tiffany setting in Platinum. My boyfriend was at his wits end and once he found this diamond he loved it and then had to special order the simple setting. He likes simple and so do I. They are wonderful cuts especially if you like the look of emerald cuts but want something unique. He loves that it is an antique cut and I love the look and depth.

Attached Images
diamond.JPG

Old cleo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

ps
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 10-11-05 , 12:23 AM

the diamond is filthy in that pic but just took it to show you. I will clean it.....tomorrow!

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 10-11-05 , 12:29 AM

<sigh> I could look at Asschers all day long (and princess!!) I think I just like the square look... I read somewhere that Asschers's started to gain popularity when Reese Witherspoon got engaged with an Asscher--that's what also made me notice that cut! I never knew they existed--yes I have been living in an oval, round, princess, emerald, pear, world.....

I'm hoping for a 10 year anniversary (gosh, that's 7 years away!) my hubby will buy me Asscher earings. wear that ring well

Sam

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 83
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 10-11-05 , 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo
the diamond is filthy in that pic but just took it to show you. I will clean it.....tomorrow!

Well, I should hope so!! That magnificent ring deserves to look its very best!!!

It really is beautiful...and I LOVE that such a classic beautiful stone is mounted so simply. It just doesn't get better...

BTW: I MUCH prefer stones like yours over Royal Asschers, which are too "busy" looking IMO...

Congratulations! Well done!
widget

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 380
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-01-05 , 07:19 PM

Congratulations...it is beautiful! I am in the process of helping my sis-in-law get a beautiful asscher diamond. I have one and since I received it she has wanted one too! She said she was in one of the "Maul" jewelers with her hubby and asked to see an asscher cut diamond, and the salesperson didn't know what they were and didn't know how to pronounce it!!! It truly is unique~~Ronda

Old beccabella

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: ASSCHERS!!!

My Karma
beccabella is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-14-05 , 09:09 PM

asschers are unique and still not so easy to find altough they have become quite popular. It is nice...you dont feel like it is just like everyone elses yet it is classey, timeless, and beautiful. I just purchased the stones for my 3 stone assscher (i chose to go with the royals)and will post a pic when i finally get it back. It took so long to make the decision between royals or not and then to find the perfect setting...then back to the stone. i cant wait to finally have it on my finger. 4 weeks to go!!!

Old asschergirl24

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
asschergirl24 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-26-06 , 07:31 PM

My boyfriend and I also went to the mall to show him what an Asscher Diamond looked like and we had more than not salesmen telling us they didn't even know what we were talking about.
Kelly

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 213
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=413, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-26-06 , 09:25 PM

I LOVE the Royal Asscher stones, but I've always heard you can't really appreciate thier cutting in stones less than 1ct. Sigh..... That's more than my budget would allow, but I"d love to own one for a right-hand ring. Although, I can appreciate the non branded square emerald cuts too.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old Amatrine

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 65
Amatrine is on a distinguished road

Re
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 01-28-06 , 11:57 PM

I am going to buy an asscher in a few weeks.
Want to see what David can come up with
I have a question, do you want a thin or thick girdle in these stones? I have been looking at a lot of specs , and they seem to be all over the place with the girdle thickness. I have never had such a tough time figuring out what is going to look the best,lol I cant wait to get mine. Thw wait is gonna kill me, I really think so,lol

Amatrine

Old ashdteb78

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
ashdteb78 is just really nice ashdteb78 is just really nice ashdteb78 is just really nice ashdteb78 is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-03-07 , 07:05 PM

Am I wrong (I have a good sized asscher myself) that its not a square emerald entirely. Its more like a flounders cut. It has 8 sides not 4.

That is why I love the assher, and I never knew about it until my husband surprised me with one on our wedding day when he replaced my engagement ring with the assher ring. I love it! But i lost it :-( So he finally found a good deal on another.

Old Norman

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: A Rolex two tone Daytona

My Karma
Power: 70
Norman is just really nice Norman is just really nice Norman is just really nice Norman is just really nice Norman is just really nice
Hits: Out=524, In=0
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-09-09 , 02:45 PM

Today we had a Royal Asscher cut diamond in for appraisal, and a cut corner step cut square that the store called an Ascher cut. We are going to pull our archived records on simular items and see whats what. What? I'll let you know.

Old LoveOfAll

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
LoveOfAll is just really nice LoveOfAll is just really nice LoveOfAll is just really nice LoveOfAll is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 11-10-09 , 12:39 PM

Nice! I'll be waiting, I'm in the market for an Asscher...but now I'm finding this is the same as a square emerald step cut? I'm getting confused.

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 11-10-09 , 02:02 PM

There are square emerald cuts out there that people call asscher cut diamonds. Asscher cuts actually have a smaller table and higher crown height with larger cut corners. Here is a comparison of a royal asscher on the left next to a square emerald cut diamond on the right.

Jan signature

Attached Images
asscher comparison.jpg

Old LoveOfAll

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
LoveOfAll is just really nice LoveOfAll is just really nice LoveOfAll is just really nice LoveOfAll is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 11-10-09 , 02:24 PM

Thank you for clearing up that confusion Jan! The Royal Asscher wins hands down for me then! The square emerald there looks like a dull Asscher in comparison, IMO. Everyone has their own tastes.

Old sirtaxster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
sirtaxster is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 12-08-09 , 09:03 PM

Good to know...

sirtaxster signature

wat?
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8803, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 12-16-09 , 09:57 PM

We do carry the Brasher which is my own version.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Attached Images
100VS1I asscher pic.jpg 100VS1I Asscher pic 2.jpg

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic This is long but advice needed please on a rare cut of diamond Thank you D by lykame
Up a Topic This is long but advice needed please on a rare cut of diamond Thank you D posted in DIAMONDS by lykame
Older:
Down a Topic Thoughts on This Ring by everbake
Down a Topic Orange Blossom wedding sets posted in Jewelry Design by jacqgillen