Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Bandito

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Bandito is on a distinguished road

How much is a 10k diamond worth?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-24-05 , 01:15 PM

First off, hi, I'm obviously new here.

I realize this is probably a very vague question, but I'm just really looking for a ballpark figure.

Here's my dilemma, I was recently passed down an old ring with 5 10k diamonds in them--they're fairly small. I don't have much use for the ring, but I'd like to take the diamonds out and use some to put in silver earring settings for my girlfriend (she can't wear gold). Anyway, how much would they run?

Also, would jewelry stores buy some of the dimaonds from me in exchange, or to help pay, for the settings?

I apologize if these are stupid questions, I just no nothing about diamonds and jewelry. Thanks for your time!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Bandito

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: How much is a 10k diamond worth?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-24-05 , 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
First off, hi, I'm obviously new here.

I realize this is probably a very vague question, but I'm just really looking for a ballpark figure.

Here's my dilemma, I was recently passed down an old ring with 5 10k diamonds in it--they're fairly small. I don't have much use for the ring, but I'd like to take the diamonds out and use some to put in silver earring settings for my girlfriend (she can't wear gold). Anyway, how much would they run?

Also, would jewelry stores buy some of the dimaonds from me in exchange, or to help pay, for the settings?

I apologize if these are stupid questions, I just know nothing about diamonds and jewelry. Thanks for your time!

edit

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 458
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=120, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-24-05 , 02:42 PM

Hello bandito, Welcome
I think you mean 5 .10 ct. diamonds?? Yes these are very small.
Although it is done, setting diamonds in sterling silver isn't the norm. Does your girlfriend have trouble with white gold specifically or all gold?? If it's white gold, it could be that she's really allergic to one of the alloyed metals in the white gold--nickel is a common problem.

the cost of the mounting for that size stone would be very inexpensive I would think...I'll let one of our experts verify that though..

irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Bandito

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-24-05 , 07:19 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant. I knew I'd stick out like a sore thumb with my questions.

The inside band has a "cTo 10K" stamped into it. What does this mean?

Oh, and by the way, my girlfriend can't wear gold. The gold causes a rash, or in the case of earrings, causes an infection. Sterling silver (or whatever good silver is) is what she prefers.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic e ring questions by kanagy
Up a Topic Handcrafted rhodochrosite jewerly posted in Greet New Members by imrod
Older:
Down a Topic Hi New here and asking for help to get peace of mind on recent purchase by halborg
Down a Topic Can I earn a living in this industry posted in Chit Chat by SamanthaMireille