Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 65
asschers4vr is on a distinguished road

Hi and what would you do?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-22-05 , 09:08 AM

Hi everyone

Just joined about 10 days ago and I'm having a blast chatting with all of you. Everyone has been so nice and very helpful with my questions.

As I've told some of you in some other threads, my hubby of 15 years is taking me shopping for a anniversary ring for my right hand. We have budgeted $15000 for the ring (hoping to get a 1.5-2 carat diamond -leaning towards a royal asscher but have never seen one in person, so I'll consider pear or cushion too).

My question is-if you had $15000 to spend on 1 piece of jewelry what would you get? Post answers and pix if you have them. Happy posting

Asschers

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
susi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Re: Hi and what would you do?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-22-05 , 10:01 AM

Hello, Asschers.....a couple of years ago, my DH gave me the opportunity to select a new diamond....he did not give me a price range but I asked the jeweler to stay around 15K. I had fun and looked carefully through around 15 to 20 stones ( memory is hazy ) The stone I selected was a 2.04 GIA graded I color VS2. The mount is Vatche platinum with light side pave'....I believe the total cost of stone and mount was around $17K.

Some pictures for you.....

susi signature
Susi
Old londonmlle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
londonmlle is on a distinguished road

$15k
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-22-05 , 10:02 AM

A carat on each ear or a 1.5 carat solitaire pendant - something I could wear everyday.

If you are set on a ring, I would go with the pear as a 1.5-2 carat pear should be possible at that price and will look very big! Look at the Jack Kelege microset pear ring. Its stunning and that's what I'd go for. I personally like asschers only when they are very big.

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-22-05 , 10:04 AM

Vatche Pics

susi signature
Susi
Attached Images
faithtopsideDT2.JPG faith21.JPG

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-22-05 , 10:10 AM

Hmmmmm....what fun!

In general, I'd look for something that contrasts, looks different from my Ering... either in stone shape or color or style...

Since I'm an antique geek, I'd probably head over to Nelson Rarities and start drooling. (come to think of it, I do that a lot anyway!) Unfortunately they don't post their prices so it's hard to know what would fit your budget. But I'm sure they welcome inquiries!

I'm posting a picture of two of their treasures...both from the '20s/'30s: Asscher with EC sapph sides ( ), and an old Tiffanys lozenge shaped diamond ring.

Lately I've become entranced with three stone oval rings...mainly thanks to Diamlady...looky what I found at DBL! Fancy intense yellow and it fits well into your budget!!!

Oh, my...so many treasures, so little time...

Have fun!
widget

Attached Images
Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg lkj.jpg

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-22-05 , 10:14 AM

Susi

Your ring is beautiful. My engagment ring (which I'll keep forever) is a .8 round so I'm looking for something different.

Londonmlle

How big would you like the asscher to be. I heard that under 1.5 with asschers, don't bother. Your thoughts?

My jeweler is a friend so he sells to us at exactly at wholesale. He even shows us his wholesale price book. He's a gem himself.

Asschers

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Widget
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-22-05 , 10:18 AM

I'm with you on Nelson Rarities. I'm there almost daily!! Drool!!!

That asscher 3 stone is gorgeous. I hope to have a sapphire someday, but not this shopping trip. Love Daniel K and Leon Mege!!!

Nancy

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

oops
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-22-05 , 10:20 AM

I'm meant to put "near or close to wholesale"

My kids literally pull on my arms while I type :-)

Old starlight98

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
starlight98 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-22-05 , 10:47 AM

My personal preference is for cushion cuts.
I agree with londonmlle -- I only like Asschers when they are big, bigger than 1.5 carats because they look smaller than 1.5 RBs. Plus, with the Asschers, you really have to pay for color and clarity for it to look good (because you can see into the diamond since it doesn't reflect light like the other fancy shapes), so I think you could get a nicer stone between 1.5-2 carats in a different shape than you could if you went with the Asscher. Also, Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the royal Asscher is a trademarked cut only made by one jeweler and that you pay a premium for it. I think regular asschers are cheaper.

Old SamanthaMireille

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow 3 stone ring

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 67
SamanthaMireille is a splendid one to behold SamanthaMireille is a splendid one to behold SamanthaMireille is a splendid one to behold SamanthaMireille is a splendid one to behold SamanthaMireille is a splendid one to behold SamanthaMireille is a splendid one to behold SamanthaMireille is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-22-05 , 11:07 AM

Wow, all those pictures are so beautiful!

I would go for a pear shaped ring like MaryAlaina's (it is so pretty), or a pear with half moon accents. I really like how half moons look with pears or ovals.

You can't go wrong with a cushion or asscher, either. Happy hunting and let us know what you end up with!!

SamanthaMireille signature
~SamanthaMireille~
Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-22-05 , 01:33 PM

WebGal

You asscher/emerald 3 stone is incredible. Love the cushion in the halo setting, but never been a fan of yellow diamonds. I actually never wear yellow anything--makes me look washed out. Most pastels do that to me. Lucky that my birthstone is garnet.

Asschers4vr

Old didiamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
didiamond is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-22-05 , 05:43 PM

I'm on MA's side with the asscher AND I'm on widget's side with the three stone oval! Okay, I'm on the fence teetering! I would say go for the yellow diamond (IF you liked it!) but then I'd fall back on the fence and knock myself out!!

Aaahhhhhhh, such a big budget. It's so hard to decide, isn't it? There are so many options, my head is spinning for you!

I hope whatever you end up getting that you're absolutely thrilled with it!

didiamond signature
~Diane~
Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-22-05 , 07:37 PM

didiamond

you've just summed my exact feelings. head and heart spinning!!! Can't wait for tomorrow when we drop kids off at grandma's for the weekend and head to our jewelers. My husband really hopes to get an asscher (I have a secret feeling he'd let me go over our budget if we need to in order to get the stone he likes best) so we'll see. What fun it will be!!! Our jeweler will show us a selection in one of his back rooms and says we can take all day if we want. He'll even order us lunch if need be. Like I said, he's a gem (plus my hubby too!!)

Asscher4vr--I'll update on Sunday night with what we got

Old lwold

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 64
lwold is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-22-05 , 09:20 PM

Well, this is almost as exciting as going shopping myself! I also have an asscher and a pear ring. My husband just bought me the asscher a few weeks ago as an anniversary present. The reason I wanted this particular diamond cut is because he liked it the best out of all the diamond cuts, and for some reason, it was very important to me to get what he liked. I really liked a cushion cut ring and an emerald cut ring at the jewelry store we went to, but he didn't like them at all, so we decided on the asscher.

The pics I've attached are my newest dream rings. The Ritani rings were posted by Jan. I love the round with the half-moon sidestones. I would like it better with an oval center. The ring with the round center I would love in all platinum. This ring (with the pear sidestones) is actually a ring Jan owns herself. I also love the pink oval setting with the half-moon sidestones. Of course, I would love a pink diamond, but as this would be out of the $15,000 price range, I would love it in all white diamonds.

Good luck! We will all be waiting expectantly for your pics!

Attached Images
fitzgerald top view.jpg rc077a[1].jpg half moon ring top view.jpg

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 07-24-05 , 03:10 PM

Hi Everyone

Well, I'm back from our shopping trip and still haven't decided. I've narrowed down the choices between a 3 stone cushion ring (totally 2.25 carats) and a 3 stone asscher ring (totally 2.5). Both are E color/ vvs2 but I have to say the 3 stone cushion looks soooooo much bigger than the asscher ring.

The second problem is the 3 stone cushion is $11000 and the 3 stone asscher is $17000. I hate to spend so much more on a ring that looks smaller. Now my wonderful hubby says if I love the cushion (and I do-love is too small a word), he'll tell the jeweler that he's willing to pay the $17000 and get an even bigger 3 stone cushion ring, even though he likes the 3 stone asscher best.

Our jeweler was really pushing the asscher ring saying how great asschers are and how unique, all of which I agree with, but after 15 years of marriage and being together for 20 total, I feel my heart pulling me to get the biggest 3 stone cushion we can get. I have to say I was frustrated with how small the main asscher stone looked (1.6 but looked exactly the same size as my .8 round. The cushion main stone was 1.17 but looked much bigger than the 1.6 asscher)

Everyone, please help with your opinions.

Asschers4vr

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 07-24-05 , 03:28 PM

Asschers, which ring makes your heart beat faster? If someone else walked into the store and bought the asscher ring, would you be sad? What about the cushion ring? Does your heart beat faster thinking of getting a 3stone cushion with the larger stones as your DH suggested? Let your heart be your guide here.....

susi signature
Susi
Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 07-24-05 , 03:42 PM

Oh gosh, Asschers....this is one you're going to have to figure out yourself. My only advice would be to TAKE YOUR TIME before you finally decide.

I can totally relate to your wanting the "Blingier" cushions after twenty years together. You deserve it! (Of course having said that...I'm still so partial to asschers.)

I suppose three asschers could be blinged up considerably by putting them in halos...but then that's even more $$$$.

I'm a lot of help...aren't I?

Even if you're suffering with indecision, ya gotta admit that it's a great way to suffer! Your hubby sounds like such a sweetie. And thanks for sharing your adventure...it's really fun to get vicarious thrills (and angst) right along with you!

widget

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Susi and Widget
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 07-24-05 , 04:10 PM

I think you guys are both right. I'll take my time and sleep on it for a few days and I will let my heart be my guide. Too be completely honest, my heart was going 1000 miles a minute looking at the 3 cushion stones so maybe that's the answer. What a happy problem to have.

Old 4u2nvc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
4u2nvc is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 07-25-05 , 10:11 AM

Hi! I would buy my dream diamond ring!

4u2nvc signature
none
Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

4u2nvc
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 07-25-05 , 10:47 AM

What is your dream ring? I'm sitting here waiting to hear from my jeweler. We've decided to go for it with the biggest 3 stone cushion in our budget. So excited, the room is spinning!!

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 07-25-05 , 11:23 AM

OOOOH, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Can't wait to see it!!!

widget

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 07-25-05 , 11:47 AM

Thanks to everybody for their help. I'll post pix as soon as I get a digital camera.

Old lwold

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 64
lwold is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 07-25-05 , 04:46 PM

I'm so happy for you. It sounds like you are making the decision you're happiest with.

Old asschers4vr

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 07-25-05 , 04:54 PM

Hi Everyone

Heard from my jeweler this morning. He was so great. Told him my true hearts desire and he was so happy I was happy. He said that he can put together the 3 stone cushion (center being a 1.8 E vs2 with the sides being .5 each E or F vs2) and it will be ready in about 2-3 weeks. It will be set in platinum wide band size 7. His store specializes in perfect cut stones (that's one of the reason my hubby loves them so--his stones just blaze with light) but he promised I could view and analyze it before we pay for it--so no pressure on me. I'm sure it will be stunning. So excited I could hardly eat today. How will I make it thru the next month waiting for it?

Well, at least I have you guys to help me obsess!!!

Asschers4vr (still love asschers so I think I'll keep the name)

Old Romana

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
Romana is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 07-26-05 , 07:35 AM

Asschers4vr, I don't know how I will make it through the month waiting for YOUR ring let alone you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to post pictures as soon as you get it!

Lots of pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

ROmana

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic jjustdeb2 by jjustdeb2
Up a Topic jjustdeb2 posted in Greet New Members by jjustdeb2
Older:
Down a Topic Hello fellow diamond lovers by SharonElizabeth
Down a Topic On a budget but picky What do I do posted in DIAMONDS by smh8402