Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old swobodainc

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
swobodainc is on a distinguished road

Making REAL Sapphire Doublets
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-20-05 , 06:05 PM

Hi there. I'm new to this forum and found one thread on doublets that didn't quite answer my question.

I'm looking for any kind of information on how to go about making the best sapphire doublets possible. I have a small quantity of Yogo sapphires from Montana and want to combine sapphire platelets to each other in order to provide a thicker stone. No glass/sapphire combo, this is going to be the real deal - sapphire on sapphire.

In the past I know that Canadian balsam was used to create doublets but I wanted to see if there was something better that is now being generally accepted or if the balsam is still the best way to go. Also, any hints or advice on techniques would go a long way in helping me out. I'm looking for things like the best grit size to use on the diamond grinding lap to give me the best surfaces for adhesion. Or whether or not sticking the newly formed doublet into a vaccum chamber to remove bubbles makes a significant difference.

All help at all will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!

-Bryan

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Color Story Robert Leser Seen or heard by MIAB
Up a Topic Will it show in white gold posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by sassy_1967
Older:
Down a Topic How Do I Clean Silver Gemstone Earrings by LagunaMom
Down a Topic OEC Antique lovers sit down before viewing posted in DIAMONDS by ancienthills