Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 1luckyGirl

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
1luckyGirl is on a distinguished road

Trying to trace my antique from Europe
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-17-05 , 12:33 PM

Hey! I was given my Great-grandmother's engagement ring as my graduation gift. What a gift! It's so sentimental! All we know is that a) her husband was wealthy b) it was given to her before she immigrated over to the U.S. from either Ireland or Scotland c) I was told it definitely looks like a European setting, it's oval. The only clue on the ring is that has an engraving on the inside. Is it possible to match the engraving to the original designer? Where can I look to find who the maker of this ring would be? The engraving looks kinda like two diamond linked together with the initials KB, on initial inside each diamond. Any ideas?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 85
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-17-05 , 07:24 PM

Hi, welcome to DT....you are indeed one lucky girl!

I sure can't help you...it's probably the trademark of the manufacturer or designer. You might put your question to some European antique jewellery dealers and see if they might be able to help... "Adin" (Belgium), or "Greens of Cheltenham", and "SJ Phillips" (England) come to mind...

These are commercial sites, so I don't know if they'd be willing to help, but it probably doesn't hurt to ask!

Good luck!
widget

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 85
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Re: Trying to trace my antique from Europe
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-17-05 , 07:31 PM

BTW...Congratulations on your graduation! (from HS? College?)

Any chance of you posting a picture of your treasure in our antiques forum? We LOVE pictures!

Old 1luckyGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
1luckyGirl is on a distinguished road

It could have been a band.... but...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-18-05 , 05:32 PM

It could have just been an antique band that was my Great Grandmother's, and it would have been just as sentimental to me. Don't get me wrong... I wasn't going to say "No Dad, I don't want to wear a georgeous 1ct diamond ring." Ha, yeah, hells no. I said thank you for the <college> graduation present with a big grin, a with tear in my eye, and I gave my Dad and Mom and biggest hug ever!

How do you post pictures? I'm sure my sister got a great shot of the look on my face... and of the ring.

Old trose

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
trose is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-09-05 , 02:36 PM

I have a ring my grandmother gave me that has the double diamond engraved in it too. There is a K in one diamond and a B in the other. I too am curious what this engraving means. I was wondering if you have found anything further out regarding the origins of the ring or the meaning of the engravement.

Old cburti

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 57
cburti is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-09-05 , 04:34 PM

In conjunction with a maker's mark, the engraved diamond is referred to as a 'lozenge'.

After the late 1830's, the French required a maker's mark in a lozenge, so it is possible that your rings are of French origin, but not necessarily so.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the K B makers' mark.

cburti signature
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Stolen or not stolen by tcomeau
Up a Topic Stolen or not stolen posted in DIAMONDS by tcomeau
Older:
Down a Topic How to choose the best cut for Emerald shaped diamonds by ChuckG
Down a Topic How to choose the best cut for Emerald shaped diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by ChuckG