Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old widget

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Family Heirlooms!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-06-05 , 11:39 AM

OK...this poor forum needs to see some action!

Let's share those pieces that came from our mother's, grandmothers, etc. etc. Bling absolutely not required..but precious sentiment encouraged, along with family stories, pictures, etc.

I'll go first. This is a retro ring and bracelet I remember my mom wearing ALL THE TIME when I was little.

The ring: 14K two-tone rose/white gold, citrine, and rubies on the side.

The coin bracelet (Ten Dollar gold pieces): Apparently in the '30s under FDR a law was passed requiring everyone to turn in their gold coins to discourage hoarding and help the banks recover from the Depression. Obviously some were naughty and disregarded the law, including my Dad. Later, probably in the '40s, he had this bracelet made up for my Mom. I think that a lot of the gold in Ft Knox today is actually melted down coins! (If I've got any of these historical facts wrong..PLEASE jump in and correct me!)

Here's a picture that is proof positive that jewelry addiction is a genetic disease. It's me and my Mom at the beach, probably 1946. She's wearing STACK of bracelets, including a silver "tank bracelet", so named because the links are reminiscent of the treads of WWII tanks. If you look closely, you'll see that I am wearing a bracelet too! (on my left wrist). No wonder I'm a nut case!

OK....any more contributions?

widget

Attached Images
Untitled-Stitched-08.jpg 544.jpg

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old ringlady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Oval Aquamarine and white gold r

My Karma
Power: 66
ringlady is on a distinguished road

Re: Family Heirlooms!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-06-05 , 12:38 PM

wow! well unfortunately i dont have any good pics - my mum wasnt really into her jewelery that much! but what can I say? you were an extremely cute baby!! the true jewel in the pic!!

Old pkarhu

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing:

My Karma
Power: 68
pkarhu is just really nice pkarhu is just really nice pkarhu is just really nice pkarhu is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-07-05 , 03:48 PM

Ok, here are mine. The first one is my mother's (still in HER possesion happily!), but I HAD to share. It's from the early 1960's, about 0.64ct, IF and blue/white, (that is what they told her back then...however, it shows no Fl. under LWUV...hmmmm...).

The next one's are the polished and re-rhodium plated great-grandmother's OEC (Old American Cut, recently appraised...huh? never heard of that one before...). It's about 0.74ct or so center and H color and SI1/VS2. The sides are better color single cut stones...don't remember tcw on those.

The last one is still in the possesion of my aunt, thankfully! But I had to share it. It's a compilation of stones that came from her family, passed down to her and she made it into a necklace (kind of looks like an owl, eh?) Don't know any specs, but that big stone is BIG!

pkarhu signature
Attached Images
aamy's necklace.JPG mamaringside.JPG OECpairfront.JPG OECside.JPG mamaringfront.JPG OECfront.JPG

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-07-05 , 06:08 PM

Thanks pkaru! Glad to see more stuff in this thread.

I don't think I've seen your great grandmother's ring since it's been polished and replated. It looks great! Do you ever wear it?

"American Cut"...hmm....that's interesting....

And your aunt's necklace...wow...I actually thought the big stone was a cluster until I re-read your post. Does it look that much darker than the others in real life?

Thanks for sharing!
widget

Old pkarhu

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing:

My Karma
Power: 68
pkarhu is just really nice pkarhu is just really nice pkarhu is just really nice pkarhu is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-07-05 , 10:04 PM

I wear my GG's ring just about everyday on my right hand (had to have them sized down to a 4 3/4), but not with the wedding band (my mother said it looks just wrong...what-ev-ah!). It puts my lil' MQ to SHAME with it's fire!

I don't know much about my aunt's diamonds in that necklace other than what I already said (they are very old, look at the table of the big one, very small)...when I saw it, I'd had a few beers (Christmas family get-together)! hehehe! I'm surprised that the pict came out so well! :o) But I was absolutely mesmerized by it at first glance...

That big stone must be at least 1.5 ct or so...my lucky cousin, her daughter, will inherit some awesome diamonds from her mother...such a shame really, b/c she doesn't really care about such things...(tom boy)! :o)

My aunt has about a 3ct or bigger emerald cut diamond for her engagement ring and also a huge (must be another 3ct or so) MQ as an alternate...MUST be nice!

I hope to get there someday myself! NOT through inheriting them, b/c my immediate family doesn't own such baubles...much to my dismay...but oh well!

I'm glad for what I do have!

pkarhu signature
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 169
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-08-05 , 04:11 AM

They are all beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I'll post some pictures in a few days when I have more time. :-)

Old LionMom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
LionMom has a spectacular aura about LionMom has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-29-06 , 09:40 PM

I know this is an old thread, but though I would add something here regarding the "American Cut". Isn't that a Transition Cut? According to what I have found on the internet lately other names for Transition Cut are "Early American Cut" and "Early Modern Cut". It came after the European Cut and before the RB.

GREAT PICS of family jewels!!!

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-29-06 , 11:03 PM

I inherited these from my mother.
The diamond ring was my grandmother's.

Attached Images
10-7-02 032sm.jpg grring1next.jpg

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 382
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-29-06 , 11:27 PM

OOh Itbit.........what nice inheritances to have!!!! DROOL!~Ronda

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-29-06 , 11:56 PM

Old LionMom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
LionMom has a spectacular aura about LionMom has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-30-06 , 12:47 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!

There is just something SOOOO special about jewelry (and other things) that have belonged to family members in the past, IMO!!!

Big, small, medium, good quality or not - they are just DIFFERENT and have a different feel when you know they came from a family member. At least that is how I see it.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-30-06 , 03:21 PM

I agree...and the stories can be colorful..take for example my diamond platinum ring pictured above. I wear it on my right hand. My grandmother wore it on her pinky. She was obese and smoked 4 packs of unfiltered Pall Mall cigarettes a day. She died in her fifties. My mother never wore the ring because she associated it with her parents fighting all the time in the Thirties. It sure has history!

Old bigredpayne

My Profile

Years:
Last seen wearing: Spessartine Garnet

My Karma
Power: 0
bigredpayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-30-06 , 06:45 PM

I love everyone's pieces! That is a great ring from your grandma itbit. And I love that ring you posted widget with the rubies and citrine. Very unique! Pkarhu that necklace has a cool history and it does kind of look like an owl! Very pretty!!!

Old cojayc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
cojayc is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 08-22-08 , 12:16 AM

Here is a broach I recently found. I havent had it officially appraised but a jeweler took a quick look and mentioned it was over 100 years old.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/a... id=65825&stc=1

Attached Images
brouchpic.jpg

Read Messages in: Antique and Estate Jewelry All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Help by nukleuz303
Up a Topic Asscher spinel cut by Jeff White in Stuller octet setting 14k wg posted in FEEDBACK by stacy
Older:
Down a Topic Hand made princess jewelry Help by loren
Down a Topic 4 Diamond Pendant posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by Kenisha