Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old susanpdavis

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 62
susanpdavis is on a distinguished road

reselling diamond price
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-16-04 , 10:52 AM

Is there an average percentage of return on reselling a diamond? If you have a new diamond and then have to sell it what can you realistically expect to receive....a bell curve price if you will.....20 percent, 70 percent, anyone with selling experience that would share...I don't want to split hairs on quality, shape, size, etc...just what are the odds of recovering any amount of money on reselling a diamond and what would that amount be? Maybe the question should be, can you make any money from selling a used diamond? Everyone talks about getting a deal on e bay, but what can you expect or should you just not expect anything and figure it is an emotional purchase? Curious? sincerely, susanp

Last edited by susanpdavis : 07-16-04 at 10:53 AM.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old denverappraiser

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all
Hits: Out=947, In=28

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-16-04 , 11:20 AM

Susanp,

You point out the fundamental problem with calling diamonds an investment. It’s not an investment until you sell. Selling diamonds is hard. Selling diamonds for big money is really hard.

Good dealers operate on the concept of ‘value added’. This means that the presence of the dealer makes the merchandise more valuable than it would be without the dealer. Contrary to what people want to believe, the value of a diamond purchase is not entirely in the stone. Some examples of dealer added value are:

1) Assurance that the stone is not stolen or otherwise legally questionable.
2) Confidence that the stone is correctly being described,
3) Someone to take recourse against if things go badly.
4) Education
5) ‘Free’ upgrade service.
6) Insurance
7) Financing
8) Convenient location.
9) Prestigious packaging

Naturally, not all dealers offer these things, and some are better than others but they are all examples of valuable elements of the sale that are not part of the gemological properties of the stone. There are others. The important issue here is that as a seller you are going to be competing with dealers who offer the above and similar things that you won’t able to offer. How much these things are worth depends on specific transaction, the customer’s temperament, what services are being offered etc. Diamond selling is a wickedly competitive business and the dealers devote great effort to worrying about these topics.

I know I didn’t answer your question. It’s because I can’t. No one else can either. Hopefully I gave enough information to explain why it’s a problem.

Neil

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Help getting a list of branded cuts by Jennifer8
Up a Topic Help getting a list of branded cuts posted in DIAMONDS by Jennifer8
Older:
Down a Topic Divided between two stones Help by bshor
Down a Topic Divided between two stones Help posted in DIAMONDS by bshor