Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old LauraElizabeth

My Profile
View profile photo
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: 4 carat Wal-Mart CZ. HA :)

My Karma
Power: 61
LauraElizabeth is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=69, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-09-04 , 12:43 AM

I've seen cushion cut diamonds for sale on the internet, all over DT, and I know many celebrities have them. So, I guess I'm confused on how they are everywhere, yet no jewelers carry them. I have been to about 15 Jewelers (large and small) around the Twin Cities area and no one sells cushion cut diamonds. Why is this?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16803, In=5944
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-09-04 , 01:24 PM

Possibly maybe they were never asked for them in your area. Many jewelers won't run out and stock alot of diamonds unless they are specifically asked over and over for a special cut. Maybe you should look for a jeweler in your area that you are comfortable in dealing with and ask to bring in some for you to choose from. But I would only do that if you are ready to purchase one. It is quite costly to bring in stones just to look at them. The twin cities, is that Minneapolis area? Brian Knox posts on this board, maybe he could be of help to you.

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old denverappraiser

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all denverappraiser is a name known to all
Hits: Out=1175, In=28

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-09-04 , 04:15 PM

LauraElizabeth

Cushion cuts are not particularly popular. This isn't really such a problem but it leads to what kind of inventory the jewelers want to carry.

As Jan mentioned, inventory is quite expensive. This is the curse of the B&M jewelry business. Itís rather easy to stock $500,000 in merchandise and have the customers look down their nose at you because you donít have exactly what they want. The result is that the jewelers carefully choose what they stock so that when they ask you for something, they can show you SOMETHING before they go into the pitch about how they can order in what you really want. They want to stock the things that the most people will want to see. This means lots of round and princess stones ranging from 0.25 to maybe 2.0cts. Think of it this way. If the average stone costs $5k, half a million bucks only gets you 100 stones to show! With all of the variations in grades, size, cut, etc., this is a paltry selection. Since thereís probably a bank loan involved to finance the business, they are paying something like 7% for their money. This is $3,000/month just for the interest to carry a 100 stone inventory. Itís a difficult way to make a buck and they want to stock stones that will sell quickly.

Internet retailers donít have the same burden. In general, they donít actually have the stone in the first place. They donít actually get the stone from their supplier until you have purchased it. They don't pay for it until you do. This means that they can list 10,000 stones from a dozen different suppliers with zero inventory cost. Itís much easier to have a good variety. If they list a large weird stone that takes 3 years to sell (or that never sells), it costs them nothing beyond a little time to scan the report and type up a description.

Neil

Old LauraElizabeth

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 4 carat Wal-Mart CZ. HA :)

My Karma
Power: 61
LauraElizabeth is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=69, In=0

Thank You
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-09-04 , 05:41 PM

Thanks for your help, I guess it makes sense why they don't have them. I am not 100% sure that I want a cushion cut since I have never seen one in person. So if anyone know's of a jeweler that stocks them in Minnesota definently let me know.

Laura

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic test by GilbertZ
Up a Topic test posted in DIAMONDS by GilbertZ
Older:
Down a Topic Pics of fire rose cut diamond by KB
Down a Topic Appraiser in Denver Area posted in CO by Iwii