Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 1215n

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
1215n is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-14-04 , 08:56 PM

are platinum prongs "weaker" than white gold?

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 172
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-14-04 , 09:16 PM

Just the opposite. Here is some information that may be of interest to you.

http://www.superbcert.com/Information/Ring_Metals.cfm

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Old Loch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Loch is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-14-04 , 09:16 PM

Platinum is much more tougher than white gold however it is not as hard and therefore scartches easier.

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4238, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-14-04 , 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1215n
are platinum prongs "weaker" than white gold?

Hi,

It depends on how you define "weaker"

Platinum will bend easier than white gold but is usually not a major concern unless you have long and narrow prongs.

If you have a tall 4 prong platinum crown, be aware that the the prongs will push over easier than in a 14K WG crown.

I mention 4 prong crowns because in a 4 prong if one prong is pushed totally aside, the diamond may come out.

In every other relative comparison of platinum versus white gold prongs or crowns, platinum is far and away the more durable and I feel the better choice.

It is accurate to say that platinum is softer than WG but (IMO) to say that platinum is weaker than WG is a mistatement.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-15-04 , 09:50 AM

As Brian said, platinum is a softer material for settings. Tall, thin settings are particularly problematic.

In talking to people about platinum,it becomes evident that there is very little understanding of the true properties of the metal. Yes, it likes to stick to itself, is more dense, and will not wear out in a lifetime, but it deforms terribly under stress of any kind. The strenght of a platinum setting is dependant on the thickness and length of the prongs. To resist bending, the manufacturers of adequate quality mountings will design shorter crowns that have a thick base, tapering upward to the claws which bend to trap the stone. These are very stable.

Other manufacturers use lower-weight settings to save themselves a few bucks, but these are only suitable for people who never have to do anything with their hands.

Die-struck platinum v-settings are the most practical choice, but opt for the sturdiest weight in a larger than needed size.

auplatinumman signature
Have you hugged your goldsmith today?
Old Buglet

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 62
Buglet is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-15-04 , 12:04 PM

Hmm...as some of you may have noticed in my "question about an older diamond" thread below, we are ordering an a. jaffe semi-mount for my e-ring. I am getting 14K white gold because typically I am hard on jewelry and I didn't want to be taking it back all the time for buffing (if I had gotten plat.) I was told by several friends as well as the jeweler to get a platinum head, even thought the setting was 14K, so we did this. We also changed it from 4 prong to 6 prong since I am setting it with a very sentimental diamond. Am I to understand, from the above posts, that a plat. head is actually NOT stronger?

I have posted a link to the setting in my other thread if you want to see...

Last edited by Buglet : 06-15-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-15-04 , 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buglet
... Am I to understand, from the above posts, that a plat. head is actually NOT stronger?

No, I could not find the thread ,please post the a link to the photo of your ring and I can give an opionion.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Last edited by knoxdiamonds : 06-15-04 at 12:35 PM.
Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-15-04 , 02:30 PM

You see, this is where the confusion manifests itsself.
Stronger/tougher/softer/weaker/firmer....you hear it all about platinum. Even those who sell platinum cannot accurately describe its attributes without creating a misunderstanding in a customer.

Platinum is about as soft as well-annealed 18 karat yellow gold, just more dense, meaning it has more "stuff' in it per cubic measurement than the 18k. A 1 mm wire made from platinum will bend much easier than an 18 karat white gold wire, BUT the platinum will allow bending without weakening or snapping, the 18k white bends once and snaps on a second attempt.

So, which is tougher? The one that stands up to bending, or the one that is harder to bend, and only bends once?

Hence, the confusion. If you really want to get the lowdown on platinum, ask someone who gets their hands dirty, working with the stuff. Its a great metal, but many people get the wrong idea of how absolutely perfect it is for jewellery applications. It is far from perfect, but you can love its imperfections for many generations, because it doesn't wear away. Bend, distort, gouge, yes. Scratch? Absolutely. Would I set a prized gemstone into it? Of course, but not into one of the mass-produced cheapies that can be prone to bending. I would choose the head carefully, or make one myself. Since most of you do not have that as an option, buy the best, and don't fret about the price. The cheap platinum heads are a case of "penny-wise, dollar-foolish", where an attempt to save a few bucks results in the loss of a diamond worth several thousand dollars. Always buy the best available, and pay someone who knows what they are doing a fair dollar to set it. If you cheap out on the material or the service, there may be no diamond to talk about in your future.

auplatinumman signature
Old Buglet

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 62
Buglet is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 06-15-04 , 05:40 PM

This is the link to my semi-mount:

http://ajaffe.com/cgi-bin/display/p...search=&op=&ex=

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 06-15-04 , 06:13 PM

Hi Buglet,

With a 6 prong platinum crown about the same height as the crown shown in that link, you should be fine .

That is a relatively low crown.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 06-15-04 , 07:09 PM

With the mount shown, the head is somewhat protected from the elements by the shoulders. To increase the stability of both the setting and the shoulders, the manufacturer could weld the setting to the shoulders at point of contact, or at least solder them neatly after the stone is set. Nothing will move following that small bit of extra work.

auplatinumman signature
Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic another rhodium plating thread by andreayung23
Up a Topic For Sale Sapphire trillion and diamond ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by Amatrine
Older:
Down a Topic Lost a thread again ring pic by an
Down a Topic diamond cutting locations posted in DIAMONDS by shehatad