Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old aschweig

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
aschweig is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-10-04 , 04:50 PM

I am considering a diamond engagement ring offered by a local appraiser.

The diamonds on the ring are not certified. But here's what I know:

1. The center diamond is 2ct, round brilliant cut, color J or better, VS1 or VS2, according to the appraiser. From the side of the stone, a black hairline can be seen with a loupe.

2. The two side diamonds are about 50 points each, with better color than the center stone. [I am a bit unsure about the clarity - but I think it is similar, VS1 or VS2].

I have a (blurry) picture of the ring and a number of movies (which are a bit better for focus.)

Website

In my estimation, the appraiser bought the ring for about $6k. He quoted me $11k. Any suggestions about this offer? Is this a reasonable price to ask considering the stones are not certified? Any general advice?

Thanks,

aschweig

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16900, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-10-04 , 05:09 PM

No matter who sells you a diamond, in my opinion, I would want to get an independent 3rd person to look at the ring and also would want either a GIA or AGS lab report on the diamonds as well. Ask him to send the stones to a laboratory for a lab report.

P.S. Most legitimate independent appraisers don't sell jewelry. Also make sure they are a member of an ethical appraisal society such as ASA or ISA besides being a Gemologist.

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Last edited by Jan : 06-10-04 at 05:11 PM.
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 76
headlight is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-10-04 , 05:14 PM

Hi,
From viewing what you provided, here are my thoughts:

1. The side stones are considerably more white/colorless than the center stone and it was clearly evident just from seeing that video stream that they do not match and I would pass on it for that alone.

2. From the side view he showed in the third video, the ring is very poorly constructed. It is not an INTEGRATED three-stone ring, but rather it was a semi-mount (mounting with just the side stones that is ready made/stock mounting for a center stone to be set) where they just took a Tiffany-style "head" and soldered it on. You can clearly see how the it sticks out like a sore thumb. The height is all wrong, and it looks like components from two separate rings (which, basically it is). This explains why the side stones clearly don't match in color because they took that semi-mount and just set a stone in the middle, with no thought whatsoever. Had the ring been custom made for the center stone, the mounting would have been completely integrated (flowed right with the stones being all on the same plane and all in the same type of mounting, not two in basket mountings and one in a Tiffany-style mounting) as well as side stones would have been selected to match the color of the center stone.

3. From the video alone, I highly doubt that the center stone is better than a J color. With the side stones not matching, that center is going to look horrible and really yellow.

I would move on because this is not a nice ring. Also, I don't know what the integrity of an "appraiser" is who also sells rings, as that would indicate conflict of interest. As for price, I don't know so perhaps someone else who better knows that can help you out, but even if it is the deal of the century, you have to ask yourself if it is worth it even if it isn't great? Personally, with the ring as is, it is not something I would be proud to wear.

On the other hand, if the price is so great and you don't want to pass up a really good opportunity, then I would purchase it, but have the center stone re-set into a new mounting, and have the side stones set as a pair of earrings (you cannot re-set the three stones together as they do not match).

Is there any way you can get specifications on the stone so people here can help you ascertain its cut quality? (Such as table, depth, crown, pavillion, culet, etc.)

Old aschweig

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
aschweig is on a distinguished road

Looking at a diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-10-04 , 05:29 PM

I may be able to get some better info tomorrow, as far as cut, etc. I was told there was a paper accompanying the diamond (not a cert, but something) so it may have some more quantitative measurements.

To explain how I came upon this ring: I was looking for an appraiser for something I had seen online, and when I described the item to the appraiser, he (and a jeweler he works with - who just happened to be in the shop) explained he (they) had just gotten something similar.

In any case, I hope to have better info tomorrow. Any thoughts on resetting the diamonds? I had always presumed this was a possibility.

Thanks for your help and insights!

Last edited by aschweig : 06-10-04 at 05:30 PM.
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 76
headlight is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-10-04 , 05:37 PM

Like I said, I would take the side stones and mount them as diamond studs (does she already have some?). If she already has studs, then just hold on to those side stones as they can be used as side stones for another creation down the road. Or, if you are getting these stones as a considerable discount, perhaps you can trade them in toward the purchase of side stones that are a better match of color to the center stone.

I do have to say that the story about the jeweler just being there at the same time, etc. sounds a bit fishy to me.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-10-04 , 06:11 PM

Read this thread carefully:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...25&pagenumber=1

Remember "You got it what you paid"

AND in this case without bonafide certification from either GIA or AGS you may very well wind up in a similar situation to the woman in the above referenced thread. Find a reputable jeweler in your area who sells quality diamonds that have Reports from recognized Labs and do your homework by looking at several diamonds under various lighting conditions. Determine what appeals to you and fine-tune your search. If you have questions, ask; there are many fine expert tradespeople on this forum that will be happy to assist you.

Good Luck.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Last edited by barry : 06-10-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4493, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-10-04 , 06:59 PM

Hi,

Welcome to DT.

I have to agree with some of the other posters regarding 'An appraiser selling jewelry'

The ethics of that do not sit well with me, and brings other concerns into question.

If an ethical red flag had not been raised , I might normally give another dealer the 'benefit of a doubt' on selling a high ticket diamond ring without a respected lab report.

But in my mind , the flag has been raised and makes me cynical of other elements of the deal that favor the seller.

I feel consumers interests are better served by buying diamonds that have been graded by a repected gem lab such as GIA or AGS.

If you go forward on this deal, be sure that you have a 100% moneyback guarantee for a reasonable period (30 days)

Then find a truly independent appraisal if possible, if not, find a AGS Jeweler and have them appraise the ring.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Colored Diamonds by BlueLily
Up a Topic stone advice posted in NY by 1215n
Older:
Down a Topic BIIIIGGG Problem please help by AshleyRose
Down a Topic BIIIIGGG Problem please help posted in DIAMONDS by AshleyRose