Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old headlight

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 76
headlight is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-03-04 , 11:57 PM

Hi, Dters!
Well, my new mounting that was to have the Superfit (arthritic) shank that I told you about back in January didn't work out. That is the subject of another thread altogether. Soooooo, I am going to go with a three-stone again. I used to have a three-stone of all rounds with my old center stone, a 1.51 RB. This center stone is a 3.29 RB. I don't want to have round side stones again. Also, I am not interested in baguettes. So, it is down to either trillions or pears. I see positive and negative aspects to both.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the input!

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old Emmesmom

My Profile
Diamond : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Emmesmom is on a distinguished road

Here is a pic
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-04-04 , 12:03 AM

I thought pictures might help you out?? Here is a round with pear sides.

Emmesmom signature
diamonds are a girls best friend and sims too!!

"the artist formerly known as... ILikesUmBIG"
Attached Images
kmom\'sring.jpg

Old Emmesmom

My Profile
Diamond : offline
Years:

My Karma
Emmesmom is on a distinguished road

Darn
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-04-04 , 12:07 AM

I thought I had a picture of a round with trills but all I have is an oval and trills. Maybe it will help anyway??

Emmesmom signature
diamonds are a girls best friend and sims too!!

"the artist formerly known as... ILikesUmBIG"
Attached Images
helene\'sring.jpg

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-04-04 , 01:18 AM

Hi Headlight! Great pics, emmesmom!

I vote for the pears. I think curvy center stones should have curvy partners.

Widget

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-04-04 , 02:01 AM

This is all great -- keep those opinions coming!
Is the one with the pink background the ring that belongs to Saymama?
Is the oval with the trills the one from the Bachelor TV show that was sold on Ebay?

Old yOyOYoo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 65
yOyOYoo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-04-04 , 05:56 AM

You can't really go wrong with a nice set of hearts on the sides.

Attached Images
dsc00207.jpg

Old Heller

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Heller is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-04-04 , 06:33 AM

IMO, hearts are too "cutesy". Trillions are best suited to stones with straight edges . . . princess, EC, radiant, etc.

Were I you, I'd choose pears.

It's nice to see that people are considering three-stones NOT of the same type of stone. It's refreshing. It seems that all I've ever seen lately are three-stones of the same stone . . .

Old tinatark

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
tinatark is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=4

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-04-04 , 07:23 AM

I like the pears!

But I love that monster stone of yours as a solitare! It's so beautiful, sidestones are really not necessary!

tinatark signature
Worry is most often a prideful way of thinking that you have more control over life and it's circumstances than you actually do.

~June Hunt
Last edited by tinatark : 05-04-04 at 07:24 AM.
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-04-04 , 09:49 AM

Heller & Widget: I totally know what you are saying about pairing rounded stones with other rounded stones, and straight edge stones with straight edge stones, which explains why I am having trouble with this. That leaves me with just rounds or pears (and hearts). I don't want rounds as I did that before and I think it is too overdone at this point. The problem I have with rounds is that there is just something about the pears that bothers me, as all I see are "wings", as if the ring is going to fly away! I never liked the trills with the round before, but I've seen it done really well, and it sort of provides a more unique look, something different. Although trillions could be considered a more contemporary cut, I have them flanking a gorgeous South Sea pearl in a platinum ring mounting and it is gorgeousu and definitely not contemporary at all (I'm not really a contemporary look type of person). And as far as other rounded type center stones are concerned, I've seen the trillions with ovals and pears and thought they looked great. I was concerned with differing faceting patterns, but then I've seen pears that didn't exactly "match" on the faceting of the center stone, either. I think that this aspect could be a good thing in that it does make the center stone stand out more and not get "lost", which has always been my DH's gripe about three-stone rings, as he says all you see is one big flash and can't differentiate the center stone from the whole configuration.
As to hearts, Yoyoyoo, they are gorgeous. The problem is that they are harder to locate and they are "smaller", I believe, for their carat size/measurement. You pretty much get the same "look" with the trills because essentially the hearts appear, once set in a three-stone mounting, as "triangles". Also, the hearts don't give as much "length" as the trills. Also, I think the trills give you more "bang" for your buck, as they appear larger than pears, hearts, or rounds of comparable size. So, you can see my dilemma!
Tinatark, thanks for your vote on the solitaire. The thing is that I have a disparity in size between my large knuckle and small ring size causing "spin". So, I need a low-set basket mount with balance, thus the use of the side stones.
What do all of you think of this ring (from www.simayof.com):

Last edited by headlight : 05-04-04 at 09:50 AM.
Attached Images
srsi63531_p_lrg.jpg

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-04-04 , 09:55 AM

Okay, I know this is stupid, but after 633 posts over almost a year, I FINALLY figured out how to attach a picture!!! (Now, if I could just figure out how to attach my own photo -- get it into the computer -- I'll be on my way!).

The photo I attached is the mount I am considering (going to purchase a mounting this weekend, actually!). Mine would be with my 3.29 RB center, flanked by the trills of somewhere in size from .75 each to 1.00 each. I like this particular mount, with the low basket setting, and also how the shank tapers as a knife-edge which I think is graceful and feminine, and also works well with the trillion coming to a "point".

Please let me know your honest opinions!
Thanks

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-04-04 , 10:25 AM

Hi Headlight! (Great name...that 3.29 stone of yours IS a headlight!) I can't imagine it getting "lost" with any side stones!

Two thoughts. I'm worried now that I'll never be able to look at pear shaped side stones again without seeing wings...thanks, headlight!

Also, what is a DH? I've been wondering this for a while...

Widget

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-04-04 , 10:42 AM

Hi, Widget -- First off, I'm sorry I "ruined" the pear side-stone thing for you! But, I guess you see what I'm talking about, too! Although, it doesn't seem to appear that way when used with a pear as a center stone -- very strange!

DH is reference for "Dear/Darling/Devoted (etc.) Husband"!

What did you think of the picture I posted? Honest opinion, please. You won't hurt my feelings. Even if everyone else hates it and I like it I'll still go for it. It really comes down to how it looks on the hand and, like I said, I've got the pearl ring with the trillion side stones and it looks so good (graceful, elegant) on my ugly fingers!

Old Cricketgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
Cricketgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-04-04 , 10:43 AM

Headlight -- That last ring photo is my favourite of the lot. I also like trapezoid side stones -- I've seen lovely photos of a ring set w/traps but can't recall where.

Widget -- DH is "dear/darlin' husband" or it could be "danged husband" if you're feelin' cranky! LOL!

The one that got me was MIL/SIL -- mother-in-law and sister-in-law.

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 05-04-04 , 10:55 AM

Oh Cricketgrrl, I'm so happy you liked my posted pic best of all posted thus far on this thread!!! So I'm not crazy -- the trills can look good with the round??!!!

Old Cricketgrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
Cricketgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-04-04 , 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by headlight
So I'm not crazy -- the trills can look good with the round??!!!

I think they look excellent -- if I was given this ring, I certainly would not sniff at it because of the mix of shapes! heh heh. I'd be saying "thank you!"

I like the continuous flow of the ring and the way the side stones seem to lead into the center stone -- they do make one big sparkle! But this is only my opinion.

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
andreayung23 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-04-04 , 11:13 AM

headlight, have you considered half moons? Not the kind that has the straight edge, and "D" shape outline, but the ones Primak has that are like jelly beans. They are round stones so you can pair round with round, and they have a curved inside edge, so it hugs and wraps around the round. I saw one from primak when I was a child, and fell in love. Years later, I still have the magazine ad, just so I can wave it in front of my poor future husband....little does he know what he's getting himself into...muahahah!

andreayung23 signature
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart -Confucious
Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 05-04-04 , 11:18 AM

Oh, I get it! I used to have a DH. But long ago he stopped being D. Now I have an XH.

Widget

Old MyHoney

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
MyHoney is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 05-04-04 , 11:24 AM

Hi Headlight,

I want to throw in my opinion, too! I love the three stone rings with round center stone and trillion or pears as sidestones. I think it looks more elegant than tree round stones, especially in this case where your centerstone is really big.

The only thing that I would have a look at is that the sidestones should not be too small for your centerstone. I - personally - like it most if the sidestones and the centerstone form something like an ellipse. For this purpose pear shaped stones would be my preference, because I think they take over the round forms from the centerstones (I don't know if this sounds reasonable, I hope you understand what I mean ).

I saw quite a lot of wonderful three stone rings with tapered sidestones (I think if might have been in the DT's Three-stone-ring-thread), so I wouldn't hesitate at all to combine the two shapes.

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 05-04-04 , 11:26 AM

Thanks for the referral to Primak, Andrea! I do remember the ring you are speaking of. I checked their site, and they actually also show a three stone with a round and two trillions. They show something they call "shields" which is what I think you are referring to. Honestly, for me, I think it will give too "bulky" a look on my finger (although they are gorgeous), whereas the trillion allows for that "taper". I have a size 4 1/5 ring size, so it has to not be too overwhelming, which is why I wanted a side stone that "tapered" (as does the trill, pear, and heart).

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-04-04 , 11:26 AM

for trilliant sides, I think that would look just fine. One of my favorite settings with trilliants, is this one:

I love how the trilliants are set, and how there is a very soft knife edge.

andreayung23 signature
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 05-04-04 , 11:28 AM

You are all so awesome. Thanks so much for all the input!

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-04-04 , 11:30 AM

ah,..I see what you mean headlight. I went to their site too....not too impressed since you couldn't view larger images. Bummer for such a premium jeweler. I know about your finger size problem! I'm a 3.5 and a 3.25 depending. Your RB would look gigantic on me! (not that I'm not into that kinda thing!) Did you order the setting yet?

andreayung23 signature
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-04-04 , 12:06 PM

Andrea, I agree that I was disappointed that Primak didn't have larger images. Actually, I am going this weekend to SF and to Simayof (where the picture I posted is from) who sold me my stone in the first place, a year ago. They do a lot in three-stone rings and are going to have some options that will be large enough to accommodate my center stone for me to see in person. So, I'll either go back home with it on my finger, or if they have to make it for me then it will only take less than three weeks and they'll send it to me.

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-04-04 , 12:34 PM

are you in the SF area, or are you visiting for this trip? I'm about an hour south of SF. Tell us how the visit goes...must be exiting!

andreayung23 signature
Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 05-04-04 , 12:43 PM

Small world, guys...I live one hour NORTH of San Francisco!

Widget

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Ladies HELP by ealdrich
Up a Topic 5 14 VS1 Fancy Yellow Radiant cut on a Platinum ring EGL posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by Lupe
Older:
Down a Topic Colour of gold for settings by Karin
Down a Topic Colour of gold for settings posted in JEWELRY by Karin