Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old orzo

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-21-04 , 08:33 AM

How does your pear perorm in true low light-like an elevator/ recessed lighting? A round sparkles with fire more-does a pear normally? I am not sure if the 2 I am looking at ( non certified and cheap) are too deep or it is just the difference of the shape. The depths are probably closer to 70% based on ruler measurements. In low light there isn't too much there- the "bow tie" area actually has a tone of white light alot in this lighting- but the ends darken some. It is not a large purchase or investment so I am not looking to buy a certified stone. In some light they are super sparkly- but in others not like a round. I guess am just wondering if this is the difference in the round/ fancy shape debate. Does anyone have a round and pear to compare with and feels the pear is less brilliant? Thanks for any info- just trying to make up my mind!!!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old StevL

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 102
StevL is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1118, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-21-04 , 10:59 AM

Well I'm not a lady but my wife wears two pearshapes

To buy a fancy shaped diamond that really performs, you need to throw out most of the numbers and view each and every diamond you are considering. Fancy shapes are a different ballgame but can be very rewarding purchases.

As a general rule they will not perform as well as rounds, but you can always get a great pear or a rather normal round and the pear wins.

Have fun and take you time, the right diamond is out there waiting for you.

Old andreayung23

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
andreayung23 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-22-04 , 03:10 AM

hi orzo,

what happened to the pear you had not too long ago? The pawn shop find that was just about a carat or so? You have some real talent in finding things, so I'm sure you'll happen across the perfect pear soon!

andreayung23 signature
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart -Confucious
Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-22-04 , 08:03 PM

Well I had traded it back for a smaller VS oval- which I then sold to a jewler- and made a profit on !! Now I did end up rebuying my other one- silly me. I had complained about it- then just had to have it back. It is not the best cut- but since it was a rebuy I got it almost for what I had sold it for. I am goign to consult the jewler to see if it can be recut to make the pavilion shallower. I loove the shape- the outline is the perfect pear for me- and also the mm size is perfect for my hand- it is 8 X 5.5 - but it is weird- it looks great where my round looks bad and bad where my round looks great- very bizarre!!! Ithink part of it is I am so used to rounds and the fancies are just less brilliant overall. That combined with some depth to it - but I am ok with it now!!!

But I wish I could find picks of great cut and bad cut diamodns together!!!

Old gebb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
gebb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-23-04 , 01:00 PM

Hi,

I have a pear, and it is a very good cut, however, in certain lighting it looks bad- the bow tie shows up a lot (I did not realize this until after it was bought ) However, in some light it is really beautiful, and there is not much bow tie at all. In some dark places, like a restuarant when there is low light, the bow tie shows a lot. And, oddly, it looks really bad in mall jewelry stores- I don't know why??? Anyhow, i still really like it. But my round stone, which is not a very good cut, seems to look the same in most light- and rounds definately do sparkle more.

Good Luck! My advice is to look at the stone in different types of light, if you can.

Gebb

Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-23-04 , 06:32 PM

Good to know. This one look bad in jewelry stores too!! But in other areas looks great. I know it is on the deep side- but I am starting to feel it is alot just the pear factor and not the stone. Rounds just do sparkle more- but it makes sense too. I really love the pear cut though!!!

Old Thespia

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: True Love Waits ring
Visit my blog NightCometh: Personal Xanga

My Karma
Power: 65
Thespia is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=948, In=0

OO...I was gonna make a thread on this!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-23-04 , 11:14 PM

...But I'll ask it here!

Because of the way is cut, does a pear have more "brilliance" on one side, and more "dispersion" on the other? The reason I'm asking, is I would like to have a ring with a cushion cut in the middle (more dispersion) and with pears on the sides. Would the brilliance of the pears take away from the cushion? Or would the broader sides of the pear make the cushion look awesome? I need some opinions!...

Thespia signature
No matter how much we love them or how beautiful they are, we must realize that these lovely stones are just that...things, they are dust and to the dust they will return. But faith, hope, and love will remain. They are created by God, and they are eternal.
Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-24-04 , 09:41 AM

Thank you!! I have to agree- and also agree rounds are not better- but they are more brilliant. I think there is an adjustment when having only rounds then having a fancy cut- they just look different. I love the pear cut though anyways

I am not sure how I would like pear sidestones though. Maybe it is just my stone but whent he light hits at an angle sometimes one side is brilliant and not the other - I think it is just due to the cut since it is not symmetrical the light just can't get bounced to the other side really. Then again- I could be wrong and poear sie stones may look fabulous!1 I would try to see one first - I now know I wouldn't want pear sides on a round center- a less brilliant cut would be needed in the center I feel to balance it so the cushion would probably work.

Old MsDiamondLil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 65
MsDiamondLil is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-24-04 , 10:12 AM

I'm glad to see this thread. I have tossed around the pros and cons of rounds versus pears for months. My conclusion is that round are definitely more brilliant and give more light return than pears, BUT a pear is to be appreciated for its shape first. I've compared my pear head to head with many round brilliants, both ideal and well-cut. Although my pear does not have the fire that an ideal RB does, I still tend to gravitate to the shape of a pear on my hand more so than a round. Believe me, I have agonized over this -- whether to keep my pear or trade it for an ideal RB. In the end, I have decided to keep the pear and someday get an ideal RB in addition. Right now, my wallet cannot do both.

MsDiamondLil

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic I wanted to add to the closed thread by Pookarina
Up a Topic pink stone posted in GEMSTONES by namrata1308
Older:
Down a Topic Looking for some opinions by DiamondAddict
Down a Topic Lutheran and Catholic faiths posted in Religion & Marriage by mdeleon