Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Indo

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Indo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-08-04 , 06:32 AM

I am going to Dubai next month for a diamond for my girlfriend. I would like to ask anyone out there if they have been in the same situation where they have went to a foreign coutry to do the same kind of thing. The issues that I am concerned with is the haggling, certification and dealer reputation. I have done a little bit of homework but have purchased a couple of books this week that I still need to get stuck into.

Basically I would just like to of anyone that can give me any hints and tips of purchasing in the middle-east.

Many thanks
Colin

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old gemsutra

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
gemsutra is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=2315, In=1364
Referrals: 13

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-11-04 , 08:01 PM

Hey Colin,

Why do you want to go there specially to buy a diamond? Do you frequent dubai regularly or are just going there for a visit? Do you have a friend or your girlfriends family is from there?

It would make more sense for you to get your diamond over here. Explain Please!

Old Indo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-12-04 , 03:31 AM

I'm going to Dubai primarily to buy a ring, although I have a friend that stays in Abu Dhabi whom I will also be seeing. A work-mate of mine has just returned so I will be making a holiday out of it as well.

Old DiamondsMan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
DiamondsMan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=809, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-12-04 , 09:23 AM

I don't think you'll be able to buy a diamond in duabi ,cheaper than the internet prices,many vendors are working on a very low markup.very beneficial for consumers!!

check the web for similar stones,go on different sites,compare prices.

DiamondsMan signature
Old Indo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-12-04 , 09:32 AM

Thanks for the advise Diamondsman.

What I've learned on the very short time I've been looking into it, is that if you are buying on the Net you need to know very nearly exactly what you are looking for. It's all very well to see a spec for a diamond with all the categories but for someone like myself who is quite an amatuer I will need to see the ring myself before purchase.

Going to a foreign country and meeting a new culture is also much more interesting than trawling around the Net as well!

Thanks again
Colin

Old annavuitton

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
annavuitton is on a distinguished road

overseas purchase
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-12-04 , 10:22 AM

Dear Colin,
one of my very best friends got a diamond in dubai, she was there on vacation and got it for herself. She hadn't been looking to buy anything, but saw the amazing variety and great prices and decided to go for it... Now, she lives inSwitzerland, where the prices are very steep, but she's never regretted it... She got a great stone for a great price (don't reemember the specs, but I've seen the ring and it was marvellous!).
I just posted a thread about MY E-ring a week or so ago, (mine was purchased for me in the caribbean, and liveing in norway i was a little wary of having been taken) and I've goten a GREAT deal. Do you live in teh states? I got a UK-feeling about you... If you live in the US, the online merchants are closer and the prices generally lower, but if you live in the UK, youre much in teh situation me and my beau were in - european stones are priced high and large stones are not often seen carried due to the prices. My beau had decided that when the time came to GET an e-ring, it would HAVE to be purchased abroad. He would have paid the same for 1 carat in europe that he ended up paying for a 2,5 carat in the caribbean... To us in Europe, Dubai has a VERY good repotation as a diamond and luxury haven.. Ive gotten a lot of my louis vuitton bags from there at GREAT prices. Dubai is, to europeans and arabs, one of THE places to go for luxury goods... If you are a millionaire, you go to switzerland, but if you are not, Dubai is the switzerland of the east. Find a reoutable jeweller( ask at the hotel, for instance) and find a beaty that YOU like. Once you see the stone you'll know.
Good luck to you and your girl! And enjoy the vacation!

Old DiamondsMan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
DiamondsMan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=809, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-12-04 , 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Indo
Thanks for the advise Diamondsman.

What I've learned on the very short time I've been looking into it, is that if you are buying on the Net you need to know very nearly exactly what you are looking for. It's all very well to see a spec for a diamond with all the categories but for someone like myself who is quite an amatuer I will need to see the ring myself before purchase.

Going to a foreign country and meeting a new culture is also much more interesting than trawling around the Net as well!

Thanks again
Colin

I agree with you on traveling , but..... If you want to save $$$ I think you should go on the web and compare prices,most vendors will take the time to explain to you what to look for in a diamond , and will spend as much time as needed until you'd feel comfortable.

DiamondsMan signature
Old gemsutra

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-13-04 , 12:36 AM

Hey,

The area to go in Dubai is Gold Souk. That is what the the diamond market. Few of my friends work over there. I was there in May 2003 and also back in 1997.

Places to buy diamonds is Popley Jewellers and Damas. They are the most reputed jewellers.

The certificates that you are going to see over there are HRD and IGI. You will not see any GIA or EGL or AGS certificates. HRD is based out of Antwerp and IGI is worldwide. However HRD is considered to be the GIA of Europe.

The diamonds that you see will mostly be sealed. They are sealed at the laboratory and are tamper-proof. This increases consumer confidence.

Places to visit is Burjal Arab one of the most expensive and topmost Hotels in the world. Jumeira Beach is very nice. Diera is the shopping market for electronics. Dubai has a lot of malls with all kinds of themes. Go to the Camel race Course and also the Desert Safari. The desert safari is recommended if you do not have a back probem. Lot of fun things to do.

And yeah contrary to other Islam Nations Dubai has a lot of tourists from western countries. They have a very open attitude.

Feel free to email me or msg me if you want any information.

Attached Images
mvc-016f.jpg

Old gemsutra

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-13-04 , 12:41 AM

Go to Abu Dhabi which is 200 km from Dubai approximately 2 hours drive. There is not much to do in Abu Dhabi, just malls.

And yeah wear light colored clothes, especially if you are going in summer. There is a reason why the locals wear only white over there.

The temperature rise upto 120 Fahrenheit which is approximately 45 degrees celsius. Shops close during the afternoon from around 1.30 to 4 because it is too hot to stay on the roads. But they re-open again and stay open till 11 in the night.

It is a very different world. Needlesss to say I am from India and been around quite a bit.

Cheers

Last edited by gemsutra : 04-13-04 at 12:41 AM.
Old gemsutra

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-13-04 , 12:43 AM

Some more pics when I was in Dubai.

Attached Images
mvc-017f.jpg

Old westerncapediam

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
westerncapediam is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=372, In=1

why????
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 09-08-05 , 02:19 PM

why you do you want to go to dubai to by your diamond??? diamonds can be purchased from dealers in london at exactly the same price!!!
fact!!!
but. do your homework and get 3 or 4 values for a particular stone!

Old Roslynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Roslynne is on a distinguished road

Re: Dubai Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-10-06 , 01:20 AM

Hi Colin, I live in Dubai, if you go to the gold & diamond park on Sheikh Zayed Road, you will find in excess of 100 jewellers all reputable and selling certified diamonds in the same way as Hattan Garden. Advantage being that their work shop is there and if you need a change to size the size it can be done quite quickly. You will be bowled over by the professionalism, choice and great price.
Roslynne

Old Sey

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Sey is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 09-26-06 , 06:56 AM

Hi Roslynne,

I am coming to Dubai in November to purchase a engagement ring for my Fiancée and was thinking of using Cara Jewellery in Gold and Diamond Park. Have you heard of them? Also do you reckon they could make me one within 4 days?

Many thanks

Sey

Old ellenhouben

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ellenhouben is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 01-12-08 , 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo
I am going to Dubai next month for a diamond for my girlfriend. I would like to ask anyone out there if they have been in the same situation where they have went to a foreign coutry to do the same kind of thing. The issues that I am concerned with is the haggling, certification and dealer reputation. I have done a little bit of homework but have purchased a couple of books this week that I still need to get stuck into.

Basically I would just like to of anyone that can give me any hints and tips of purchasing in the middle-east.

Many thanks
Colin

Hi Colin,
About Dubai diamonds + prices:
Antwerp is World's largest international Diamond Trade Center with a yearly turnover of more than 39 billion US $, hosting 4 diamond Bourses, and 1.500 diamond companies.
More than 99% of all diamonds that are imported in Antwerp are exported again to other trading + manufacturing centers and to consumer countries:
Dubai Diamond Center...

Dubai is only a regional touristical diamond distribution centre for the Middle East.
You are better of to buy in Antwerp, that is giving secure buying!

I hope this will help you!
Ellen

Old fuft1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
fuft1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 04-07-08 , 02:08 PM

Quote:

Many thanks
Colin

Hi Colin
iv bought out of a few jewelers in Dubai including Cara and i wouldnt recomend it for something so important. everything (5 items) all but 1 item i have bought there has had to be brought back because of diamonds falling out or iv lost it because it hasnt been secured properly.
be careful and expect at least 40% off and be prepared to walk away if u dont get the price u want to pay, there are so many jewelers u'll get something stunning anyway.
best wishes.

Old JeanDWoolger

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
JeanDWoolger is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 04-10-08 , 05:28 AM

Hey Colin

I think it’s a good idea to buy diamond from dubai, I was there last month, it’s a great place to visit. I went around in search for a diamond I required. Found the gold & Diamond Park and gold souk the best place in duabi for Quality & good price diamonds. Bought my diamonds from Dhamani jewels in gold souk. They had a good range of diamond with good price to my budget, and not for getting their excellent service provided. I was assisted by a gentleman called Manish, Wonderful man. If you are going to duabi, contact him on 050 4599496.

Rgds Jean

Quote:

Many thanks
Colin

Old MissMandie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
MissMandie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 09-13-08 , 09:28 AM

Hi all,
I'm currently living in Bahrain for a month and went diamond shopping today. I found a couple of loose diamonds that took my fancy, both IGI certified:

1.4ct D colour Flawless for 5,000BD ($US13,260; £7,410; $AU16,230)
1.3ct F colour VS1 for 2,400BD ($US 6,360; £3,550 ;$AU7,800)

Are those prices reasonable?

My friend and I were wondering whether it would be cheaper for us to fly to Dubai while we were here to buy diamonds. Does anyone know if prices would be much cheaper in Dubai compared to Bahrain?

Also, is IGI certification reputable and reliable? I've never heard of them before.

Thanks!

Old zamix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
zamix is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 06-17-09 , 12:25 PM

Bahrain and Dubai are the same in prices...you have to know where to shop ...avoid the fancy gold market go to the jewelry shops in the back street of Sheikh Eisa and the near by allies.Look for local Bahraini shops not indians and Pakis...they are more honest.
all the best
ZAMIX
from Alkhobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMandie
Hi all,
I'm currently living in Bahrain for a month and went diamond shopping today. I found a couple of loose diamonds that took my fancy, both IGI certified:

1.4ct D colour Flawless for 5,000BD ($US13,260; £7,410; $AU16,230)
1.3ct F colour VS1 for 2,400BD ($US 6,360; £3,550 ;$AU7,800)

Are those prices reasonable?

My friend and I were wondering whether it would be cheaper for us to fly to Dubai while we were here to buy diamonds. Does anyone know if prices would be much cheaper in Dubai compared to Bahrain?

Also, is IGI certification reputable and reliable? I've never heard of them before.

Thanks!

Old ampozoid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ampozoid is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 08-06-09 , 09:25 AM

Most of the entries passed here are fake and not genuine. I own a chain of 18 jewellery stores in the UAE. The stores go by the name SKY JEWELLERY and SKYZE.

Old hongwin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
hongwin is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 08-10-09 , 11:48 AM

Quote:

Many thanks
Colin

Should purchase in your own country and dont need go other country for diamond,coz you will get the same price in your own country jeweler shop

Old dxb12345

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dxb12345 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 09-29-10 , 10:53 AM

hello! i would recomend buying at the gold and diamond park, there are many shops so you can really bargain up a good price, most of their diamonds come with international certificate so you wont have to worry about getting ripped of! i have purchased more than 6 pieces of diamond jewellery from a small shop in the end by the restaurant the name of the shop is aladdin jewellery. you will usually find the owner of the shop working there and he has customized all of my jewellery, he really does understand exactly what you need and his work is extremely clean and honest! every piece my sisters and i purchased from him are stunning and his prices are negotiable! very nice man and i would defintly recommend you or anyone else that want to purchase anything important from this shop. i believe his name is khalid if im not mistaken!

Goodluck hope u find what your looking for

Old TheRockHugger

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
TheRockHugger is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 09-29-10 , 12:08 PM

Ok, that is a myth that going over seas to buy a diamond will result in a cheaper price. You start with the price of the flight....2-8k depending on where you are flying from (the price of a diamond right there). Then you have the low prices of the diamonds. This industry is filled with people praying on the uneducated (about rocks) shoppers, and it is even more prominent in tourist areas such as Dubai and the carribean. The low priced diamonds in Dubai are such for a reason. They could be just low quality, or clarity enhanced, or worse...fake. A new diamond shopper won't know what to look for to detect enhancements or fake stones, and a lot of vendors look forward to selling those shoppers a low priced stone.

My advice, buy in the USA, or with a reputable online vendor and always request a lab cert.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic How much is my diamond worth by Hil14
Up a Topic I want to design my own purity ring posted in Jewelry Design by RachelC
Older:
Down a Topic which of these would you pick also the rank of the 4c s by hubby2be
Down a Topic Hello Everyone posted in Greet New Members by TheRockHugger