Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old kaylagee

My Profile
View profile photo
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rutilated Quartz

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 68
kaylagee is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-07-04 , 11:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I could really use some advice.

I'm considering trading my GIA cert diamond e-ring (round, J, 1.08ct, VS2, symmetry and polish both VeryGood, no fluo) for a IGI cert diamond antique ring (round, Slightly Tinted (K-L), 1.90ct, VS(1)/VS(2), sym and polish both Good, no fluo)

How do IGI certs compare to GIA... standards and accuracy?

I know each stone is individual and I'll have to see it in person(see if I fall in love w/ it) and have it appraised by our jeweler, but would like to hear any observations about IGI.

I'll get a chance to post a picture in a few days hopefully when it arrives for inspection.

Also does anyone understand why the IGI certificate has a color range like k-l? instead of one definite grade?

What does 'Vs1/Vs2' mean exactly? They couldn't decide?

Dealer seems reputable. Just wondering if this is a good trade or not.

Thanks, Kayla

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old YourGemologist

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
YourGemologist is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=5661, In=1752
Referrals: 13

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-08-04 , 01:50 AM

Kayla,

The IGI cert is nothing compared to a GIA cert.

IGI gives you grading ranges rather than specific grades.

Their certificates are used almost exclusively by discount sellers who use these documents as sales tools rather than proper gemological grading certificates.

I have personally experienced the IGI asking me "what do you want the certificate to say?" when I inquired about a stone being sent to them for grading.

And the IGI offers grading based on grading guides as applied to a GIA student, rather than a truly qualified gemologist working with USPAP and FTC Guides.

And based on reports from some people who I have worked with from the New York GIA office...the IGI generally hires the cast off graders who could not get a job with the Gem Trade Lab in New York.

And finally, as I currently work inside the insurance industry, I can tell you that I give little credibility to an IGI certificate because I know it was done before the sale, and paid for by the seller, who can influence the information, and the information is so broad so as to protect the IGI from having to actually make a specific diamond grading call.

For those reasons I give little credibility to an IGI cert when it comes across my desk from an underwriter.

It may contain information that gives you the warm and fuzzies at the time of sale. Mainly because it will make you feel that you are getting a big discount price on your purchase.

But when you have an insurance problem, you will find that those broad ranges of possible split grades they list on their certificates could leave you twisting in the wind for your replacement with some companies.

Mainly because in the event of a loss, if your IGI cert says simply "Near Colorless/ VS-SI

Or: VS2-VS1/H-J........

You have 5 or 6 possible grades that your diamond could have been based on the IGI certificate. So which was it? Do you know? Does your insurance company know? Did IGI ever know?

The answer to all is...NO. And the potential loser is...YOU.

All because the IGI gave you those split grades that did not set forth what you had, and what you would get in the event of a loss.

They only give broad grade ranges to protect themselves from having to do a real gemological appraisal certificate.

If you cannot get a GIA or AGS certificate, I would ask for a grading certificate from David Atlas, Anton Nash, or some other qualified independdent appraiser.

Their documents may not be as famous, but the quality of the information will far outweigh the lack of consumer recognition at the sales counter.

Robert James FGA, GG

Last edited by YourGemologist : 04-08-04 at 01:54 AM.
Old NVPrincess

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 63
NVPrincess is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-08-04 , 12:35 PM

EXCELLENT ANSWER!!

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 167
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-08-04 , 12:44 PM

Yes, indeed!

Old kaylagee

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-08-04 , 04:53 PM

Thanks so much!! I talked about this & what you've said with my husband & my mom this morning and yes, I'd be pretty much running myself into a ditch here re:value.

Even if the seller would give me a GIA, dh doesn't want me to trade down the color lower anyway.

I love this setting though..here are a couple of photos. Where can I find a setting like this to maybe transfer my current stone into?

Please help. I adore this ring's look but don't want to be foolish.

Again, thanks for the clear and wise counsel Robert!!

-Kayla

Attached Images
ring c2514g.jpg

Old kaylagee

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

another view
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-08-04 , 04:57 PM

sigh

Attached Images
newringc2514gb.jpg

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 172
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-08-04 , 04:58 PM

Good response, Robert; and advice that should be heeded.

Always stick with either GIA or AGS reports and in the case where either is unavailable,use a competent "independent"
appraiser that will accurately grade and evaluate your diamond.

Barry

Last edited by barry : 04-08-04 at 05:00 PM.
Old MissGotRocks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
MissGotRocks is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-08-04 , 07:20 PM

You can have almost any setting replicated. There are vendors here that will help you do that. I think you made a wise choice not trading your stone for that. Get a new mounting - life will be good!

Old EllisONE

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 34
EllisONE is on a distinguished road

Re: A good trade? IGI vs. GIA certs
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-01-11 , 02:44 AM

Looks like you got some great advice already. I would definitely agree that GIA is a much more accurate and reliable lab, known for their strictness in grading. I would keep looking until you find a GIA-certified stone.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic EGL should I consider it by manhattan01
Up a Topic EGL should I consider it posted in DIAMONDS by manhattan01
Older:
Down a Topic Egl Vs Gia Need Some Help Here by trublu4u
Down a Topic Egl Vs Gia Need Some Help Here posted in DIAMONDS by trublu4u