Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old micheltau

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 45
micheltau is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-28-04 , 02:39 AM

After 3 mths, I recently got the final finished product of the engagement ring. However the ring size was not spot on and we have had to have the ring resized. Now, the problem:-

The ring was supposed to be made a size 13.5 but when we got it checked at 2 other jewellers they indptly told us it was only a 12. See, after my fiance put the ring on her finger was turning blue after 20 mins so this was why we got the size rechecked again. When we did bring it into the original jewellers to verify the size. They insist it was correct. They put the ring in the measurement rod and shaft it in hard. After which proclaiming it is 13.5! Is it possible the measurement rod is not correct? Are they meant to pushed so hard into the rod when we saw the other 2 jewellers just gently nudge the ring into place to check the size?
Initially they insisted $20 for resizing but later changed their minds when I told them about the other 2 indpt jewellers' comments.
Taking the ring, this jeweller proceeded to hit and bang at the ring (underside) which he says will "expand the ring". But my understanding had been with resizing it is usu done via adding a little more metal (in this case .. gold)
Please help, whoever who can. Kindly enlighten us - Is the way the ring resized correct? Are we getting ripped off? How can a ring be 12 and 13.5 at the same time? What is going on?

PS- the size is asian sizing but on the topic of size with respect to the measurement rod; does one read off the TOP(above) or BOTTOM(below) of the lines sizes??

Thanks in advance ... ...

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-28-04 , 10:02 AM

When the shank is thick you can bang a ring out. Ihave it done alot as it is cheaper and you don't have to add gold. But it does thin the back of the shank some. For a special ring you may not want to go this route. You can't do it for a large size difffence or for a thin shank. Going up one size I do not see an appreciable difference in the back of the shank though on thicker bands. I cannot answer your other quesitons though. Glad you said Asain sizes- 13.5 would be a huge ring finger !!!!

Last edited by orzo : 02-28-04 at 10:03 AM.
Old micheltau

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-28-04 , 11:47 AM

thks orzo for your input

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  How Diamond Cut Grade Affects Fire, Sparkle, Scintillation

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 423
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3378, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-28-04 , 12:10 PM

Hi,

You mentioned it is an engagement ring.

Usually when enlarging rings with stones you would want to cut the ring and splice in a piece of metal.

The main reasons being, stretching could weaken or break any solder joints (crowns) or it can weaken or break the ring itself.

I don't know how much bigger 1 & 1/2 sizes is in Asia but it would be way to o big of a "stretch" for any diamond ring in US sizes.

Re: your PS question :

the answer is the highest point the ring reaches on the mandrel is the size of the ring

One important note: if it is a wide ring, it is not unusual for it to fit much tighter than a narrow ring.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=16880, In=5744
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-29-04 , 11:43 AM

Hi micheltau,

Yes, this is a fact that some mandrels have a different size and this is a problem when some customer order a ring that was measured with a bad mandrel.
Some jewelry shops have plastic, aluminum or hollow ring size mandrels and with time they worn and when they take you the ring size in this mandrels the size is wrong.
The production mandrels are done with hardened solid steel and they never change.

Even if your ring is size 12 to make it to size 13.5 is a very small increment, I think that your ring can be streched over a mandrel hitting with a hard platic or wood hammer, this process is very fast and will stretch the shank a little bit giving the correct ring size.

If the shank is thin then better have it cut and resize by adding more metal.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old micheltau

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-01-04 , 01:15 AM

Thanks to both knoxdiamonds & Van Graff for throwing more insight into the issue. The ring itself has a thin shank by way of width but the depth was originally abt 2.3mm thereabout, and so now with the "hammering" down for the expansion has a depth of abt 1mm (which is rather thin, we feel). The E-ring setting itself was a 4 prong cathedral with pave setting at the sides. I am now also concerned for the diamonds (both big and small) whether if they are now sitting a little more insecurely after the jolts and bangs. So to get some opinions, what is the best thing to do now? To get it checked again? Or that if visually everything looks ok. it should be fine. Just on this note, after the resizing. I noticed a hair line fracture on the base of the shank. We pointed it out to the jeweller and, after pondering for a few mins, he said the line was not a crack but just a line caused by the wire which was used to tied the ring whilst dipping to recoat again with the gold. He then filed the "crack looking line" down and replated once more time. This time the line could not been seen. So does this bode well or has a more sinister problem been filed away? Any one with any opinions?

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 261
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2017, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-01-04 , 01:32 AM

micheltau,
If your jeweler hammered the shank from 2.3mm, down to 1.0mm, then you'd better find someone else to do your work. That is an outrageous amount of stretching and has reduced the life of the ring shank by over 1/2. Although stretching a shank is an O.K. thing to do, I will never attempt to go over 1/4 size up this way just because it thins the shank too much.
The crack you saw may have been from the wire, but that's unlikely since the plating wire is pulled away from that area by the weight of the ring. What you probably saw was a dimple from the previous sizing's solder joint being pulled apart by the excessive hammering. To file down an already overly thinned shank to cover up a mistake is really cheesy. Whatever you do, don't take it back there.

Michael_E signature
Old kerda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
kerda is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-01-04 , 09:03 AM

Brian, could you show an example of a ring on a mandrel, and where to mark the size? Thanks.

kerda signature
No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Old micheltau

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-01-04 , 10:52 AM

Not being in the trade and not exactly very knowledgable in this area, we feel that trust is paramount. We trusted & depend on the jeweller to do right by us as well as to do the correct thing but it is starting to sound more and more shoddy a work to say the least. I am really appreciative to those who have thrown some light on the situation and have taken the time to explain the process of resizing to us all. But as it stands, is there a possibility and danger that the centerpiece 1.1 caret diamond has been microscopically shifted or worst case scenerio, damaged in the process? As for the ring shank, how do we even know if its strucural integrity has been compromised as it is now "visually okay".

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-01-04 , 12:14 PM

Hi kerda,

This ring is a size six .

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Attached Images
mandrel.jpg

Old kerda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-01-04 , 06:55 PM

Aaahhhh...I see! Thanks.

kerda signature
Old kerda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-03-04 , 06:08 PM

So, this one is a 9.75, correct?

kerda signature
Attached Images
sizer.jpg

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-03-04 , 06:24 PM

Y S from what I C

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Old kerda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-03-04 , 06:49 PM

Brian, you are quick!

kerda signature
Old 210diamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
210diamond is an unknown quantity at this point
Hits: Out=662, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-03-04 , 09:02 PM

The metal ring stick used in manufacturing may vary about 1/8 of a size. The size should be the middle of the ring. I think a 12-13.5 is US 6-6 3/4 size. 3/4 could be done by hammering if you have a nice heavy shank that can afford some loss from the hammering, sanding and polishing. If not it is best to cut the shank, solder a small piece of gold and refinish. This should give you a shank without any seams showing, equal thickness and width.

Old micheltau

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 03-03-04 , 11:10 PM

thks 210diamond thing is the shank is not even. From e side view it just tapers from thick to thin (this is at base of shank, after being beaten down). Thus as earlier said my worry is abt integrity of ring at base (seeing it had that "hair line fracture" issue occur )

Old micheltau

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 03-03-04 , 11:21 PM

Oh and thanks on the infor on the variance on of rods as well as on the ring resize frm 12-13.5 210diamond. i dont see anything visually wrong with ring but we're now gonna get someone to check diamonds are still sitting ok after all that hammering and banging (resizing was done whilst diamonds were already set) I am just glad I did not get anything engraved on ring, yet. Was gonna do it but decided to consult fiance what she wanted before doing so. Turned out to be blessing in disguise seeing what turned out in the end

Old micheltau

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 03-06-04 , 03:11 AM

Just to say thanks who helped with inputs & stuff

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic K color by MelissaCT
Up a Topic K color posted in DIAMONDS by MelissaCT
Older:
Down a Topic Is cut really that important I m starting to think not by MDesigner
Down a Topic Proposal Ideas In Northern Virginia posted in Your Proposal & Wedding Stories by 1edwin