Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old diamondsR4ever

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
diamondsR4ever is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-27-04 , 11:50 AM

I wanted to post some information that may help a great deal of people with eternity band and eternity style engagement ring setting concerns. I have done a great deal of research and experienced actual craftsmanship to be able to offer this help on this topic:

Q: Can eternity rings that go all the way around with diamonds be sized?
A: Absolutely yes. This must be done by a talented craftsperson, is challenging and will cost more depending on what materials are involved--but all eternity rings can be sized, and if done properly show very little alteration. Specifically and in the simplest form, adding a metal badn to the bottom or adding an extra diamond get the job done...it is how you get there that is the challenge, but again--it is possible.

Q: Do rings w/ diamonds all the way around damage the bottom stones?
A: You should be more careful and have the ring set in platinum but in a shared prong or channel setting, the metal prings or bars actual act as a slight buffer between the diamond and a surface which would rub up against the ring on the underside. Still, the diamond is exposed and could get nicked over time. Diamonds are one of the hardest materials on earth, so they can take REASONABLE abuse, but you should have the setting checked twice annually and just use some extra care and clean frequently.

Q: Can an engagement ring be made out of an eternity band if I desire that look?
A: 100% yes and this is just a fantastic look. Take out one of the top stones and set a prong in there. Thats pretty much all there is to it. This could be custom done by a skilled jeweler.

Q: I am still concerned with eternity rings all the way around due to sizing and wearability issues--but i dont like 1/2 way around look either: Is there a solution for me?
A: Absolutely, and the real point of this post....

First, select your favorite eternity band--either used as a wedding band or to make into an engagement setting. You can choose a designer or make this custom. I know that 'Lieberfarb' has great and very eternity settings and will do custom work, so this could be a starting point.

Next, determine your current ring size
and have the right amount of stones added/taken out for your size. This will be determined for you once you state your size finger and style (size diamonds).

Then, take an additional 4 diamonds out of the bottom and replace with a solid band of platinum. The VERY botton is the only place you see metal. This takes care of sizing and wearability issues and will act as a weight center so the ring will not spin either! This assumes you start with a 18-22 stone eternity band. For bands with less, take out only 2 stones on the bottom and for bands with over 24 stones, take out up to 6 on the bottom.

If you want an e-ring, then take onemore stone out of the top and reaplce with platinum prong.

What quality: Use G/H color, VS clarity if the stones are 5 points or larger. SI1, H/I are fine for smaller stones.

Q: Which eternity setting provides each effect:
A: Somewhat subjective but...
Shared prong=sparkle and fire and the look of band MADE of diamonds
Round Bezel=Stronger look that can take effect away from main stone, comfortable.
Channel: Flashy effect, not as much fire and you see metal
Individual Prong: Heavier look and metal shown and less comfortable

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old hbunny

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
hbunny is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-27-04 , 12:52 PM

Hmmm... I never thought about putting just a little metal at the back of an eternity band for future resizing purposes. Sounds like a possibility for me...

I'm wondering, if a little metal at the bottom really prevented spinning, then why do half eternity rings spin? Those have a whole lot of metal at the bottom, so you'd think that would be even more of a weight center, but everyone who I've talked to about this has said that *all* rings spin - but if you have stones going all the way around, you can't tell.

Thanks for the info!

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8871, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-27-04 , 01:17 PM

A talented craftsman doesn't usually like to do hack work. I have been making jewelry for 20 years. When time is spent into making a quality finished product it is much better to make an eternity diamond ring to correct size, rather than having to alter, remove diamonds, heat metal such as platinum, and piece in a section. If one desires a sizable section in a ring with diamonds, why not just order it to begin with? There are rings that have sizable sections on the bottom of the shank.
Can things be done to an eternity ring that has diamonds all the way around with shared prongs, channel set, etc? Yes. Will it look the same as if it were designed to fit the right size to begin with? Not really.

Here is another example:
If a house is designed and ordered to spec with 3 bedrooms. Once the house is finished, and the buyer decides now that they want a 4 bedroom house instead. Will it be easy to redesign the existing house? I don't think it will. The roof structure will have to be changed, the bearing walls and inside walls will have to be adjusted and changed, electrical wiring, etc.
It is much easier to order the desired finished building and less expensive as well.
Just my thoughts.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Last edited by Brad : 01-27-04 at 01:24 PM.
Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 87
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-27-04 , 01:58 PM

but how about making an eternity ring (shared prong) into an engagement ring?

Could this be done? This would look amazing.

Old diamondsR4ever

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

not getting the point
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-27-04 , 02:16 PM

please understand that the point of this post was to address issues that people had with eternity rings (sizing and wearability). there have been many unanswered questions regarding this...

also, i mention, the ideal thing to do to address all concerns is to size the ring correctly and allow some space for a bar in the back--that way diamonds encircle 3/4 to 7/8 way around...a very good option that people should consider.

also, i must address that during this research DBOF was contacted and said they thought it is near if not impossible to correctly size an eternity ring. in fact, we contacted 6 major online retailers and several brick and mprtros shops. DBOF was the ONLY ones that made this claim. i'm sorry, but this is just not true, the rings can be re-sized if you have an existing one or simply 'have to have one' and need a resource in the future. i respectfully say that if the craftsperson says it cannot be done, they are not highly skilled.

Old alex88

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 76
alex88 is a jewel in the rough alex88 is a jewel in the rough alex88 is a jewel in the rough

Well in fairness...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-27-04 , 03:06 PM

I don't think that the craftsperson who says that it can't be done is unskilled. I think that might be too general of a statement. (To be fair, yes, the craftsperson might feel that his/her skills may not be enough to do this type of work). But for the most part, I think that the craftsperson is weighing a number of factors. Quality of the setting to begin with, how the much adding/taking away of metals/stones would need to be done to accomplish the customers' wish, and how the final product would in all likelihood look. If anything, I would think that it takes skill and experience to know the feasibility of doing this type of alteration.

Sometimes, if a ring is bent in any other way than it was originally set, it can loosen the other stones in their settings (either immediately or sometime thereafter). I had a three stone ring that I needed sized. The two side stones (trilliants) were in chevron (triangular) type settings. When it was adjusted, one of the trilliants later "sunk down" in the setting. I know that this is a different type of ring-being a three stone, but this same thing could also occur in an eternity band. So, again, the craftsperson may be weighing a lot of different factors (which also include the potential for "repair" work). Also, (and I am only making a very general statement) some customers just can't be pleased. So that may also weigh in on a craftsperson's decision to adjust/ or not to adjust. I guess really my point is that a yes or no to altering an eternity band is not always reflective of skill alone- there could be other reasons.

Old diamondsR4ever

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

point well taken...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-27-04 , 04:09 PM

just wanted to mention that it certainly could be done. if you search on the topic, many people have been confused about this.

so, it can be done to an existing eternity setting and certainly should be considered when the ring is made from scratch...in other words it IS possible to go 3/4 or 7/8 way around with diamonds if you like that eternity look on EITHER a band or an angagement ring. this is a TOTALLY different look than 1/2 way around--yet is not too far from being eternity since diamonds even peak at you from the underside...a very nice option--that's all.

Old Jasmin

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (10)
Feedback In: 
+10  0
Feedback Out:
+10  0

My Karma
Power: 103
Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-27-04 , 04:13 PM

I just want to add my 2cents and say that I have had an eternity ring sized. It was a channel set diamond band, diamonds all the way around, and my jeweler successfully sized it down for me. I couldnt tell where it had been sized.

Jasmin signature
......................... ........................ Ice Ice Baby.....
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-27-04 , 04:49 PM

First of all I never said it was impossible. A miracle to look like it should look when a piece like this is made to size from the start . I gave a detailed explanation too. I don`t like to do hack work, and am very into details as are the customers I deal with. If someone insists on ordering a eternity ring the wrong size I`m sure someone will accommodate. I however am more interested in producing a quality product that I can put my name on.. No hack jobs please. I would rather make a whole new ring than something with imperfections. I have made plenty of eternity diamond shared prong rings for customers. It is best to order them to the correct size to begin with.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Last edited by Brad : 01-27-04 at 05:08 PM.
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-27-04 , 05:00 PM

Hi Raech yes we are making one for a 4.00 ct. center right now and it will match a diamond eternity band with 3.85 ct. of side stones.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 01-27-04 , 05:07 PM

Alex88
Very well said. Exactly, when you are creating a piece, you must weigh in all different factors. Sizing a diamond eternity ring is not impossible, but the end result is not quite the finished product *I * would desire in making a piece like this. This is the nature of this style of diamond band with diamonds going all the way around the finger.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old diamondsR4ever

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Brad...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-27-04 , 05:32 PM

I understand what you are saying about hack work. However, you don't understand what I'm saying. There was never mention of ANY hack work in my post. The original post said to get the right size from the start but dont be scared off if your size changes over time becuase something CAN be done and be done CORRECTLY. Furthermore, I explained exactly what one can do to design an eternity style band into something that can be sized in the future and can be more durable (3/4 or 7/8 around option).

We just made one with a 6 prong setting on top for a 1.52 round brilliant in pure platinum with 16 round 7 pointers set shared prong style leaving space (4 diamond spaces) at the bottom for protection and future sizing capability. The ring belongs in a magazine or museum it looks so striking.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-27-04 , 05:40 PM

Here is a side view of one we recently just made. To size this ring design up, you would have to remove several diamonds due to the high temperatures associated in above the 3000 F degrees.
Anyone that has worked with platinum knows that it gets to a cherry red color and this kind of heat next to small diamonds can frost them so they would have to be removed to a certain point. Then you would have to saw into one of the sections and if you were sizing up, add an identical section to match the configuration. This could be a very detailed job and even when you have the exact matching section. If you don't you will have to cast up a identical section for whatever amount of sizing is requested. Then weld or solder it in place with platinum. Then depending on the stone sizes, it is possible that it will not meet the sizing exactly because of the diamonds diameters, you can't take out or add half a diamond. If your adding some piece of metal that was suggested then it will not look like an eternity ring anymore but will have a sizing section added that will show. It's better to just order a ring with a sizing section on the bottom if you want this effect and not diamonds all the way around. 1 size equals about 2.25-2.5 millimeter which is rather small and would appear as an alteration rather than a diamond eternity ring made to order from the start. Sizing other styles of rings that don't have diamonds all the way around is not as involved.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Attached Images
karenc side view.jpg

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Trading Places
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 01-27-04 , 06:11 PM

So you are in the trade, contacted us through e-mail to waste our time? Sent us a picture of a the diamond eternity ring that *we* made and asked if we could change the size ? No mention of a different design. Asked us how to clean the ring??? We thought you were a consumer that was interested in our product ,since you were asking consumer oriented questions and about one of our diamonds too. My time is valuable and I really don't have time to waste. Our e-mail is for consumers that want to deal with us not for the trade that has some kind of questions or articles to write. There are trade channels for this.
If you want to encourage consumers on this board that ordering diamond eternity diamond rings in the wrong size, that it is not a problem, then that is your choice. You don't need to be contacting me for this.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old Jasmin

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (10)
Feedback In: 
+10  0
Feedback Out:
+10  0

My Karma
Power: 103
Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future Jasmin has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-27-04 , 08:10 PM

I guess I took this thread to mean, if you already had a eternity ring, could it be sized. Of course I would order a new custom built one in my correct size, but I was understanding the thread to be about sizing existing eternity rings, as I know that question has been raised recently. I am currently having a shared prong eternity ring made, and I ordered it in the size I normally wear.

Jasmin signature
......................... ........................ Ice Ice Baby.....
Old LoveGems2

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
LoveGems2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-27-04 , 08:12 PM

When I read the first post, I didn't get the impression that she was trying to say that you should order your ring in the wrong size.
I think she was trying to say that IF say you bought an eternity ring and 5 years later...you put on 20 pounds...or you lose 20 pounds...I think she was just trying to say that a good benchmen could fix it for you.
But, I do think that it would take you several visits to find one who would be willing to attempt it.
Once you commit to it, and start removing diamonds...etc. alot of things could go wrong. A diamond might chip in its removal, etc.
Now the customer is going to expect the jeweler to replace that. The customer is going to expect the ring to not show where it was adjusted.
This sounds like an extremely hard job and I'm sure alot of benchmen would pass on this one.
This is why, even though I like the look of an eternity band, I wouldn't want one. I don't know about you guys but who has remained the same weight over the years? You gain when pregnant, lose it/gain it.....lol
I would rather have a ring that could be easily sized.
Just my humble opinion

Old twodogs

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 65
twodogs is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 01-27-04 , 11:37 PM

Brad, Just wanted to add that I appreciate your honest opinion on the feasibility of altering an eternity ring and ending up with something you would be proud to wear.

By the way, I love the ring you posted. Any chance we can see some pictures from the front? Thanks again.

Michelle

Old diamondsR4ever

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

brad
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 01-28-04 , 10:13 AM

have no idea what your post is talking about w/ cleaning and stones. someone from our shop contacted DBOF 3 weeks ago via phone becuase a customer bought a ring from your store and wanted it sized. you said it could not be done, and now it is done.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 01-28-04 , 11:59 AM

What and who are you talking about? I have not turned down any ring sizings that I know of for customers of mine.
Also as far as diamond eternity bands, I have not had anybody ask us to have one resized that we made recently. All the products that we sell, we can service and I do get people that send rings back for resizing and I do it right here myself.
So I don't know what you are talking about. I do have another customer that ordered a Tacori eternity band with fancy yellow diamonds last year that was a 1/4 size too big and guess what?
Tacori is making a whole new ring, not trying to resize it because they too want a quality product not some hacked
up ring. I don't think this was something my customer brought to you because it went to Tacori. Maybe you are trying to make it sound like I don't service my customers? From the e-mails I got, it looks as if you are posing as a consumer bugging other retailers. I know it's you because in your e-mail you said you contacted other vendors on the boards as well. So you have a lot of time on your hands.
Here is the e-mail correspondance we recieved on 1/23/04 Don't remember getting a phone call from anybody. The topic you started relates directly to the e-mail correspondance. Also you want to single me out as some unskilled person out of the vendors you contacted on the net which is a joke. I don't really care who you are and I really don't have time to play games. So have fun at whatever you are trying to accomplish.
_________________________ _________________________ __________

hi,

im am considering making an engagement ring for a 1.5 ct round diamond out of a platinum eternity band with 1.4 ct. of diamonds all the way around (.07 pointers)...same style as the wedding band DBOF did for someone else picture attached to this email

what i was thinking is adding a 6 prong mount on the top.

few questions:

1. she is a size 4.75 now, can this typoe of ring be re-sized in the future?
2. is this idea practical since the ring is likely to be worn daily--in other words, do you feel this style will get damaged easily?
3. is this style ring very hard to clean--what should be done to keep it looking its best?

Thaks for you help.

Best Regards,
Steve

_________________________ _______________

what is the cut of the stone? ...crown and pavilion angles, table and depth %. is the SI1 totaly eye clean? who certified the stone and what is the price you are looking for? thanks

also, last question, if maybe you can ask your craftsman: i have been told that this type of style CAN be resized quite easily by someone who is experienced and does good work. it is obviously harder than resizing a standard band, but i've heard many on the diamond message boards say it can be done. i asked you to get your opinion too, but i just want to be sure that you are either a craftsperson or asked one of your craftspeople. thanks

Best Regards,
Steve

i'm more concerned about sizing up, and i was thinking about adding a bar of platinum to compensate rather than extra diamonds (that is, if the upsize was a small one.

also need your pricing on the stone.

Best Regards,
Steve

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Last edited by Brad : 01-28-04 at 12:04 PM.
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

If it walks and talks like a duck
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 01-28-04 , 12:08 PM

Let's not forget this one where you also get into the HCA bunkola. I just went and read one of your 10 posts on here and see that you are talking the same garbage.

Brad

thanks for the stone price. i have some thinking to do. i like the color, but it has a relatively lackluster cut (3.3 on HCA).

i'm a bit confused about the setting though-b/c people have sworn the ring can be sized by:

-adding a SMALL strip of platinum and not taking stones out (or just taking the ones necessary to resize (maybe 1-2 at most)
-adding another diamond if the size goes up by that much (again, 1-2 at most)

they commented the ring should not and likely cannot be sized down unless done inside the band

im certain of the size now, just looking out for the future years down the line just in case...

Best Regards,
Steve

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Last edited by Brad : 01-28-04 at 12:09 PM.
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 01-28-04 , 12:13 PM

So now your going to come on and lie and say it wasn`t you ?

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old diamondsR4ever

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 01-28-04 , 12:28 PM

certainly was NOT me. look at my original post.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 01-28-04 , 12:32 PM

Yes I thought so.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old diamondsR4ever

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

although...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 01-28-04 , 12:35 PM

i can see from your posts you told that person the same garbage you are spitting out on the boards...that is cannot be done.

while this forum was discussing the topic to educate people about these rings, you are actually doing alot of harm so please do not continue to post this subject.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 01-28-04 , 12:39 PM

You want to talk about harm? You are a liar and this is harmful to consumers for you to come on here and tell me what I said. You can't back up anything you say because you are a liar. The End no further comment because I'm through with you and you can go back to hacking away. Leave me out of it Jabronee.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic H color in emerald cut by redraider
Up a Topic H color in emerald cut posted in DIAMONDS by redraider
Older:
Down a Topic Here is a great book on Diamonds and gems by sapphirekitty
Down a Topic Halloween Themed Wedding posted in Planning a Wedding by Steffi