Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old IcedOut

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
IcedOut is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-20-04 , 02:35 PM

First let me say I don't have all the specifics but here goes.

I have been looking at some RB stones and have a little trouble choosing. It probably is a no brainer but, just want to see what you would say.

What to choose:
.65ct SI1 K eightstar
.64ct VS1 F super-ideal
.51ct VVS2 F one step below ideal(so I am told)

They are all very close in price. The superideal on paper matches up better than the other 2 and slightly cheaper. But I here some J-K eightstars show better than other non-branded diamonds. I could go with an eightstar with better cut and clarity but, can one justify the almost 40% increase in price. That's what I am trying to figure out cause right now I can seem to justify it.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
susi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-20-04 , 05:09 PM

IcedOut....I'm inclined to go with the 8*....mainly because of the fabulous light return, if light return is your priority. They are said to be very consistent in this regard and the ones I've seen are gorgeous.

Super-ideal may mean something entirely different to you than to me or to someone else. It's the unknown cut ( which may be excellent ) and the unknown light return in your other two choices that *bother* me....more than the color, clarity, or even if I knew it, the price.

susi signature
Susi
Old MissGotRocks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
MissGotRocks is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-20-04 , 05:41 PM

I have never seen an 8* 'in person' though I hear they are quite fabulous. While I understand that great cut can mask alot of things, K seems a bit out there. There are many other stats you'd need to make a good decision, but from what you've shown I think I'd go with the F super ideal. I don't know how much difference in appearance there would be from 8* to super ideal, but I think color wise from an F to a K you'd see something. Just my two cents.

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 93
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-20-04 , 05:44 PM

I vote in this instance for 8*. Before seeing one the K color on paper would have been a complete turn off, but I believe that they do look much whiter due to the cut, and larger due to the light return. If it was close and my choice I would pick 8*.

ancienthills signature
Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Bella is on a distinguished road

.64ct VS1 F super-ideal
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-20-04 , 09:59 PM

gets my vote. I think the color is important to consider and F is more appealing to me. I'd be satisfied with a great cut like that too.
Cost is also a consideration to bear in mind and 40% more for just a variation of beauty isn't worth it. If 40% more bought you a nice stone over a less desireable stone, then it makes more sense to me.

Old IcedOut

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
IcedOut is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-20-04 , 11:44 PM

Thanks for the replies please keep them coming. My gf probably will not know the true difference b/t the stones too much as she is not a real materialistic or jewelry savvy person. I would not be as jewelry knowledgeable as I am if it had not been for this site. Now my standards have jumped and I can't seem to revert back but, that's ok.

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
luluhb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-21-04 , 12:50 PM

#2 hands down. I totally understand about light return masking color, but I can see the teensiest bit of tint...K is really low I think... F all the way! No offense to you "warm" lovers out there!

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-21-04 , 08:46 PM

.64ct VS1 F super-ideal

or else you might wish later that it was whiter, and maybe they could give you a brilliance scope so you can see the light return.

Plus, colorless diamonds I admit are my favorite. They just have a wonderful icy look.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Here it is by nero
Up a Topic Watch EyeCandy posted in Watches Photo Gallery by Bella
Older:
Down a Topic Can Anyone Help Me With Ordering The Highest Quality 2ct Simulant asha van Graff by bsg2004
Down a Topic Wheres the Garnet posted in GEMSTONES by phoenix