Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-15-04 , 07:27 PM

Hi everyone

I've been told that the cost of resizing a white gold ring is higher than that to resize a yellow gold ring due to the high cost of the palladium/gold mix needed. The ring needs to be made a size bigger.

It sounds reasonable, but is it right?

I've been quoted 25 ($40) here in the UK. Usually it's about 15 to do a yellow gold ring. I expect our prices are higher than the US ones, but is the differential about right for Britain or should I look for a cheaper quote.

I don't want someone to do an alteration with yellow gold and then rhodium plate it to hide the yellow, which is what I'm afraid might happen if I find a cheaper quote.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  Top Ten List of the Most Beautiful Rings of 2014

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 424
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3454, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-15-04 , 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagpuss
Hi everyone

I've been told that the cost of resizing a white gold ring is higher than that to resize a yellow gold ring due to the high cost of the palladium/gold mix needed. ...

If your ring is 14K white palladium alloy and you wanted the sizing to be as well, yes , this makes sense.

If you ring is 14K nickel alloy then it makes no sense.

Hope this makes sense,

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-16-04 , 05:08 PM

Thanks Brian. It makes sense to me, anyway.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old esttorpag

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 46
esttorpag is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1568, In=391

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-24-04 , 03:58 PM

1) If your ring can be stretched, and most can, then the ring would not require soldering and sizing would be a snap (pun intended).

2) The cost of gold solder is not a factor since the amount of cost should not be more than $1 for any solder. Sizing should not require that large gaps be filled. Ideal joints should fit very tight and in that case solder cost would be negligible.

3) I only charge $10 US to size my rings including platinum, but I do not live in London where jewelry shop space must cost a fortune.

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

14K white gold ring ...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-29-04 , 11:46 AM

cost me $20 US to have it made smaller.
Another $20 US to have Rhodium Plating done where the resizing was made. The only reason I went with the Rhodium Plating was because the ring was brand new and Rhodium plated plus I wanted it to still look new being I hadn't worn it yet. With the Rhodium plating on the 14K white gold, it has a very close color as my 950 Platinum S1 rings naturally do, they closely match in color.

If I didn't wear platinum rings and were just searching for a white gold ring, I would find one without Rhodium Plating only because I don't like the fact that the Rhodium plating would eventually wear off. That is another feature I like about 950 Platinum S1, no need for Rhodium plating.

Edited to add:

To have the ring sized larger, the jeweler told me his prices would still be the same. That is his flat rate for sizing rings up or down, no matter what the precious metal consists of. I did check around at other places before hand also, and the prices were in the same range. I chose this jeweler because of his crudentials and I was able to wait while he sized it for me.

Last edited by PlatinumDiamond : 01-29-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old DavidEmslie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 44
DavidEmslie is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=226, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-03-04 , 07:19 AM

Sounds like your dealing with a saleman looking for the fun thing called....EXTRA profit.
I do a lot of casting and working with palladium white gold and the stuff is more expensive yes...but only by about $2 per gram tops with current market.
its about exactly the difference from 14k to 18k yellow, ask what the ring in 18k yellow gold would be. Even when adding gold too the ring via solder I doubt the piece is larger than one gram.
maybe the cost for you would be 17 pounds,

with current exchange rates it may even with shipping be cheaper to ship it too the states for sizing! our web site has been getting alot of UK trafic and sales lately due too the lower prices ect.

But id hit them with the fact that PD alloys are at a value the same as 18k yellow and see what they say then...they will know you know more most giving you an advantage...and better price.

Read Messages in: Bench Work All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Rhodium Plating by sparklee
Up a Topic 5 Stone Shared Prong Blank Band posted in JEWELRY by aislingmaire
Older:
Down a Topic Can this be done by pinkbow
Down a Topic loose Asha posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by rimshot