Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old rural

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
rural is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-11-03 , 01:49 PM

Hi, I am a newbie to the site but I have been searching on internet and by foot for an engagement ring. I have been to Jared, Shane Co., and London Gold, the three biggest names in the Phoenix area. The mall stores such as Ben Bridge, Kay, Fred Meyers all either have higher prices or lower quality diamonds.

My first concern is that Shane Co. doesnt havent have the diamonds certified - I can have them send it out for independent certification for a $150 fee and wait two weeks.

My second concern is that Jared uses IGI for lab certification which I have read in DT is not that great.

My third concern is that Jared (IGI), Shane Co. and London Gold (EGL certified) all have lifetime guarantees as long as you bring in the ring twice a year for inspection - if you lose the rock you get it replaced - no worry. Can any internet based places say the same or does it really matter.

My fourth concern is that if I find a good local small jeweler, can I get any replacement/maintenance agreements?

Finally, I am looking for a 0.63-0.66 carat, VS2, D or F, princess with a length to width ratio of equal to or less than 1.05 (mostly square), no fluorescence. What is a reasonable price? I am looking at $2k at Jared.

Any opinions/thoughts/experiences/
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need help! I am trying to get the ring by 12/27/03.

PS Jared also pushes that if you get a princess cut, you should use the v-shaped prongs to hold the gem better, but they look so bulky to me. Any opinions?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 84
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-11-03 , 02:58 PM

Welcome to DT!

I'm not a fan of princess cuts- mainly because they always seem so bulky looking with the prongs (like you've noticed too!)

Also, you know will definitely get a lower quality diamond and pay more at a maul store- but you seem to know that.

1. An IGI or EGL certified stone that is supposedly a VS2 G or H would most likely be a GIA SI1 or SI2 and I or J color. I've read that they can be up to 2 clarity and color grades off. Why not buy from a place that offers GIA certified stone in the first place? They will be higher quality. Read through the testimonials. There are MANY great diamond sellers that advertise here on DT. I'm NOT affiliated with them in any way.

3. As far as getting the stone replaced if you lose it. How often does the stone itself fall out? VERY seldom- usually the whole ring is lost. In that case they won't cover it, and you'll need insurance any way. I wouldn't make this a big selling point at all. You'll need private insurance to have it covered for theft/loss regardless.

4. Just about any jeweler in town will check your stone for you. I'll occasionally bring mine in and have it cleaned and the prongs checked. If they charge you at all it's usually quite negligible. I'm not sure what you're worried about here

As far as price. I would go down in clarity and get an eye clean SI1 or SI2. If you can't see the inclusion with your eye, who cares if it's there? You can get a bigger stone...

Just concentrate on getting a VERY GOOD cut. This is all-important.

Look at goodoldgold.com or pricescope.com They have TONS of stones listed on there- I would only look at GIA stones.

H
SI1
71.8%
73%
GIA
sltk
no
vg
ex
no
4.98x4.89x3.51
$1929*

H
SI1
71.8%
73%
GIA
sltk
no
vg
ex
no
4.98x4.89x3.51
$1984*SP

Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 84
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-11-03 , 04:22 PM

That is true Lauren, the sites that list them all in a row can be confusing. I suppose all that's good for is to give you an "idea" of the going rate out there.

I DO like the sites that list the pictures of the stones along with the brilliancscope reports, etc. Those can be educational- especially if the jeweler has that stone on hand.

BTW, your princess sounds beautiful

Old cethibea

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
cethibea is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-12-03 , 12:30 PM

Rural,

I am also looking for rings and have been to many of the same stores (Jared, Shane CO, Ben Bridge). I definitely think that you can get better deals at a smaller independent jeweler. They may not have the replacement guarantee but you dont need that if you put it on your insurance.

I have found that the price and personal aspects make the independent jeweler a better option.

My dilemna is between the independent jeweler and the internet. Ahhh!!!!!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Comparing Destinee Brilliant Rose by AudreyAng
Up a Topic Comparing Destinee Brilliant Rose posted in DIAMONDS by AudreyAng
Older:
Down a Topic Thin girdle 4 or 6 claws by Bluegnoo
Down a Topic Welcome posted in JEWELRY by GilbertZ