Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Pouffykitty is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 12-03-03 , 07:10 PM

If I go with .75ct each, is there need for a GIA cert?

Pouffykitty signature
Please remain seated, and keep your hands, arms, and legs inside at all time until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 105
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 12-03-03 , 08:02 PM

I have had 3 pairs.
One pair is about .30cttw in buttercup settings.
These were sentimental stones, including my mom's original e-ring and a ring I had as a young girl.
Still have those.

I also had a 1.03 cttw set which are a really great size.
I used them as sidestones in a 3 stone ring eventually.

I also have a pair of 1.55 cttw and these I have in LaPousette backed basket mountings and I love them, wear them all the time, and feel very secure.
Before the LaPousette backs I didn't wear them,
They seemed like headlights at first but due to the shrinkage factor (I wore them in the shower once ) they seem very usual to me.

I constatnly get remarks from other people, though, so I know they are bigger than usual.

I had 2cctw sims and they were just too big- the earrings sat up too high and I didn't like it.
Don't go for screwbacks. I had the accident that cc described and it was brutal, having to get the backs surgically removed from the INSIDE of my earlobe.
I didn't wear earrings for over 5 years after that.
Not until college, anyway.

PS I am 5'2" and a bit chubby but still not a big person.
The 1.55 look great and the 1.03 cttw looked good too.

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 12-03-03 , 08:06 PM

Ouch!!! I've always had a fear of that happening, so i never wear dangling ones. Studs seem so much safer, but after hearing yoru horror story, i'm not sure i want them anymore. Do you mind me asking how you hurt yourself?

Pouffykitty signature
Please remain seated, and keep your hands, arms, and legs inside at all time until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

Bezel Settings & Screw Posts
Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 12-03-03 , 08:17 PM

Cleaning the Bezel Set Earring is easy. I shower every day with it on and about once every couple of weeks I clean it throughly. Never seems to get dirty, though. Always gleams with brilliance!

I only take mine off every couple weeks to clean them throughly, other than that, the screw posts are the way to go.

Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 12-03-03 , 08:18 PM

I have 2 sets of sim studs. One is 1.00 ctw and the other is 2.0 ctw. The 1/2 carat ones I wear more as I am home alot and can sleep in them too. I like the 1 ct each but they are bigger and I always forget to take them out to sleep and then they infect my ears and hurt from sleeping on them. Also the way my ears are pierced the 1 carat ones almost sit out to the side than the front more and don't look as good. I don't have this problems with the 1/2 carat ones.

Old princessmichele

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
princessmichele will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 12-03-03 , 09:11 PM

i'm 5'7" and i just received my studs: 4.60 tcw "ideal" cut rb's, VS2, H color. my lobes are what i think of as big... i always wanted the lobes that kind of "skim" from your ear... like a "v" shape... no, that's not it... well, you know, the kind of lobe that isn't really a lobe at all! anyway, i thought these might be a little big for the grocery store, but have gotten use to them. in fact, they seem a little small now. -well, okay, let's not get carried away! while they don't seem at all small, they are in no way "too big."
they are set in four, double prong, platinum settings (these babies are "built"!) with la pousette backs. do they droop? oh yes, there was significant droopage so i need to wear plastic discs behind the ear and in front of the la pousette back. i was very upset over this, but have softened up a bit since they look so great. the stones w/ the double prong platinum setting is much heavier than a regular 4 prong, so this is the price i pay. i'll take it!

princessmichele signature
"i am what i am and that's all that i am" -popeye, the sailor man
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 94
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 12-03-03 , 09:45 PM

Wow princess those sound fit for a Queen! I would love the 2.3 size as a ring. I am going with the .5 -.75 in each ear for daily wear contingent. I think that is a great size for my evryday lifestyle and wardrobe.

ancienthills signature
Old MissGotRocks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
MissGotRocks is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#33 @ 12-03-03 , 10:02 PM

My earrings came in screwbacks and I had them put on regular posts. I put them on and take them off everyday and the screwbacks were tearing up my ears and took too long. I too figure that's what I have insurance for. As far as how big or how small, it all is determined by what feels right for you. I probably have bigger lobes than some and I thought the 1 ct. would be huge. Maybe shrinkage set it but I don't feel that they are huge. I could probably go a little bigger but I really am happy with what I have.
HEADLIGHT - One of the people that I just worked with on my diamond trade had 2.5 in each ear - talk about huge! They were beautiful and looked very nice on her - I bet yours look great too!

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#34 @ 12-03-03 , 11:26 PM

Princessmichele~ Are your earrings certified? Gosh, if I get 2.3ct in each ear, i'd get them cut off! Well, L.A.'s not exactly the safest place at night, and I'm not one to come home before 3am....

I think 1.5cttw would be perfect for me. I'm 24(turning 25) and any bigger would make me feel uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone for all your advice!!

Pouffykitty signature
Old Kamuelamom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Kamuelamom is on a distinguished road

Jan......
Quote this post and reply to it Post#35 @ 12-03-03 , 11:46 PM

in general, what kind of clarity would you suggest for earrings? I'd want some nice clear ones, but heck doesn't have to be a VS or anything....... and I'd probably try to shoot for something in the .50-.75 ctw...what do you think for average sized lobes? I'm only a petite 4'11".....

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#36 @ 12-03-03 , 11:56 PM

Good question, Kmom... I'm wondering the same thing. Perhaps G-H/SI1?

Pouffykitty signature
Old synicgrrl

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 76
synicgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#37 @ 12-04-03 , 01:17 AM

Pouffy,

I agree with you. Personally, I'd love to own 1cttw studs. I'm in no rush to get them, though as I am young and just get more fun out of rings. I think they are a jewelry staple every girl should be lucky enough to have, though. I have some EC sim studs that I would guess are supposed to be about 1ct per stud and I wouldn't want any larger really. I think .50ct - .75ct per ear is great for everyday wear. I wonder what .25 per ear would look like. I always assumed it would just look too small but more and more I am reconsidering that assumption - I imagine they would look pretty good, too. It's all just a matter of taste and lifestyle but I can see how wearing certain sizes (like 3ct per ear for example) might be a little imposing for daily life. Not like I'd have to worry about making that choice though

synicgrrl signature
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Old momoflotsoboyz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
momoflotsoboyz is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#38 @ 12-04-03 , 02:19 AM

Hi all, long time reader but I don't take the time to post much, so this is only my second or third post. I have by DT standards very very tiny studs (.44 ctw) but because my hubby surprised me and because he took my boys along with him when they were purchased, I LOVE them. He purchased them at a nice B&M store which has an upgrade policy... so if he ever takes the boys jewelry shopping for mommy again, I will gladly accept an upgrade. I have had these earrings for 4+ years and they never comeout of my ears, only for a quickie clean. I never have the "what earrings to wear dilemma" so actually the earrings were and still are a bargain

Old Kamuelamom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Kamuelamom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#39 @ 12-04-03 , 04:16 AM

mom,

Welcome to DT! Fasten up and enjoy the ride.

I love your story about your studs. I can't wait to get some someday. I had 2 small prs. (guessing probably .20 ctw each or so) a very long time ago, and they somehow ended up being left with one of my old roommates. I hope she is making good use of them.

BTW, mom, exactly how many is lots? Just curious, hehe, I have 2 boys and they feel like lots at times.

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#40 @ 12-04-03 , 05:22 AM

momoflotsoboyz~ Welcome to DT!!! btw, .44ctw is not small. My mom wears .20 ctw earrings and she loves them just the way they are. She never takes them off, and if they get any bigger it'd dig into the back of her ears when she sleeps.

Pouffykitty signature
Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#41 @ 12-04-03 , 05:24 AM

I'm wondering...

should i get some sim studs first to see what size i like? Now that i'm looking around, 1ct each ear is starting to look appealing. Maybe I should get some 1.5ctw and 2ctw sims and see which ones i like more?

Pouffykitty signature
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 94
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#42 @ 12-04-03 , 06:33 AM

Pouffy I do that. I figure you save money by preventing a mistake plus you have a back up pair for situations when you feel uncomfortable in your real stones. There have been things I thought I would really like, but when made up in sims for a test run, I discovered that it wasn't really my style or didn't suit me for some reason or that I quickly tired of the design or it wasn't comfortable or practical or I just didn't reach for it as much as I thought I would... you get the idea. Preventing one mistake or I wish I had gone bigger/smaller remorse is, I feel, worth a whole wardrobe of mock up jewelry!

ancienthills signature
Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#43 @ 12-04-03 , 06:45 AM

There are some ebay sellers selling signity star earrings for pretty cheap. $39 for 2ctw. I emailed him to see if he has any 1.5ctw earrings, and if he does, i might just go wtih sim earrings for a while until i make up my mind. Heck, maybe then i'd decide that i dont want diamonds afterall...

Pouffykitty signature
Old kentville

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 92
kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute kentville has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#44 @ 12-04-03 , 07:42 AM

I have 2 pair. One is 1/3 TCW and the other is 1/2 TCW. I have no lobes, so anything larger doesn't look good on me. I wear the larger ones in my top hole and I wear gold hoops with 1/2 TCW in my bottom hole. My sister got a pair of 5 carat for her anniversary last year. I tried them on. They were beautiful, but way to big for me.

Last edited by kentville : 12-04-03 at 07:43 AM.
Old ChimeGuy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ChimeGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#45 @ 12-04-03 , 02:44 PM

Here is a true diamond stud story:

My family and I were at the Grand Waileia resort in Maui when we took a ride on the "water elevator" -- basically a tube made of rope that rises as the pool floods with water. A woman on the ride started on the bottom with a pair of beautiful studs that must have been 2 carats each. By the time we got to the top, she only had one stud -- the other had been washed away by the flooding water! I have no idea if she ever got it back.

Now to answer the question. I don't wear any earrings, but my wife's studs are a little over 3 carats each. She is 5'8" and pulls it off, no problem. She wears her studs at work and play. But having seen the consequences, she does not wear her studs in the water!!

Old momoflotsoboyz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#46 @ 12-04-03 , 02:56 PM

In reply to how many boys do I have... 4 and hubby makes 5. And if you count our kitty Romeo, that makes 6. I don't know what sex the goldfish are though....
My hubby told me when he originally bought the earrings the boys wanted to get THE REALLY BIG ONES... so maybe next time I should let them do the shopping

Old momoflotsoboyz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#47 @ 12-04-03 , 03:06 PM

Just an afterthought... my hubby has purchased 2(1 carat 5 stone)bling bling platinum anniversary bands for me plus I have a beautiful .75 oec for the ring finger in a simple cathedral setting that I mix and match about 6 different bands with so I really am happy with his shopping or maybe I should say that I am very happy with the amount of shopping that I get to do when it comes diamonds.
After all diamonds are a girls best friend and who says we can't have a dozen or so best friends!!

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#48 @ 12-04-03 , 03:46 PM

4 boys! wow....

Pouffykitty signature
Old momoflotsoboyz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#49 @ 12-04-03 , 04:42 PM

Pouf, is that a picture of your kitty??? Our Romeo is part maine coon and looks similar to your pic. He has the most gorgeous green eyes and he is a total mama's boy.

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#50 @ 12-04-03 , 04:50 PM

That's my boy! his name is Forte and we found him so we dont know what he is. He's the most lovable cat, and a very reliable alarm clock. he wakes you up at 6am on the dot, before my alarm goes off, and he lets you sleep on weekends and holidays. However, if you dont wake up, he'll claw at your scalp until you do, and sometimes that hurts.

Pouffykitty signature
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Questions on Princess newbie by paint
Up a Topic Questions on Princess newbie posted in DIAMONDS by paint
Older:
Down a Topic Advice on Princess Cut Purchase by sdmarcus
Down a Topic GGG Gemological Grading Group posted in Appraisal & Insurance by jason7868