Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
Pouffykitty is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-03-03 , 08:15 AM

...I mean earrings, people... get your heads out of the gutter!

I've been thinking of getting a pair, but can't really decide on a size. Just wondering what size everyone else is wearing for normal/everyday wear.

Pouffykitty signature
Please remain seated, and keep your hands, arms, and legs inside at all time until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-03-03 , 08:16 AM

I'm thinking of getting 1.25-1.50 ctw... do you think it's too big for my 5'2 body?

Pouffykitty signature
Please remain seated, and keep your hands, arms, and legs inside at all time until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16781, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-03-03 , 08:40 AM

It really depends on your ear lobe size which really has nothing to do with your height. I'm about 5 3 but have no ear lobe so I wear a diamond hoop. My daughter who is much taller than me has a nice size ear lobe and would be able to pull off a much larger earring.

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old MissGotRocks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 65
MissGotRocks is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-03-03 , 08:52 AM

Probably does depend on your earlobe size - mine are 2 ct. - 1 ct. for each ear. I love them and wear them everyday. They are in a simple four prong setting - I have been thinking about resetting them in basket type setting - a little more substantial - but can't decide if it would make them 'look' any different. Any opinions or experiences with this?

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-03-03 , 08:53 AM

my ears are 5cm long, and the earlobes take up 1.25cm of it.

Pouffykitty signature
Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-03-03 , 08:55 AM

i think a 4-prong and a basket would look the same, since people usually dont go to the side of your ears and stare at the back of the diamond...

Pouffykitty signature
Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-03-03 , 08:56 AM

does anyone know how big Jessica Simpson's studs are? they look huge! (and i dont mean Nick... well... maybe... )

Pouffykitty signature
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

1.14CTDW - Colorless D - VS(2) Clarity - Bezel Set - 950 Platinum - Screw Posts
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-03-03 , 09:40 AM

The one I wear everyday, everywhere, in my left ear, is .56c.
The other one that is .58c is locked away.

Last edited by PlatinumDiamond : 12-03-03 at 09:43 AM.
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

For diamond earring size comparison ..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-03-03 , 09:46 AM

Attached Images
markfallsearring.jpg

Old pelepup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
pelepup is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 12-03-03 , 09:56 AM

Hmmm... I have 3 pairs of diamond studs. One pair is about 15-20 pts total. The other is about 25pts total and the last pair are 30pts total. I usually wear one pair of the studs plus small gold loops. But I would like to get bigger, like half carat tw. If I could afford more, I would get 1cttw. My mom wears her 1cttw plus her .25cttw. We have double pierced ears.

pelepup signature

Wherever you go, there you are.
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

My ear -- little blurry pic of it.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 12-03-03 , 10:06 AM

this is what a .56c looks like on a small ear with a small lobe ...

Attached Images
diamondinear.jpg

Old bethann

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
bethann is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 12-03-03 , 10:19 AM

I wear my diamond studs everyday. They are 2.66 tcw. Each stud is 1.33.

I am 5'7", thin with a small face. I like the size and would not want smaller. My hair is shoulder length, so my ear lobes are usually covered or sorta covered. And I have screw backs on them for safety.

I love them - and they solve the what earring do I wear today problem!

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
luluhb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 12-03-03 , 11:12 AM

I am a bit over 5'10".... I have 1.2 tcw. My friend is 5'2" and wears 2 ctw beautifully. I WANT THEM I think 1 carat in each ear no matter your size is fantastic. My hubby says they look fake that big...but what does he know!

Old Scintillate

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 64
Scintillate is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-03-03 , 01:39 PM

Hmmmm, suddenly I'm feeling very small. But I love my earrings just the way the are! I've got 1/3 CTW studs set in white gold 4 prong basket settings. I think they're cute My sweet fiance gave them to me for my birthday, which was just a couple of weeks after we got engaged (and he had just made a Major diamond purchase).

The coolest part was that when he got them for me, I was there and got to look at loose stones and pick out the settings, then wander around for a bit while our jeweller set them. Very fun.

Scintillate signature
Last edited by Scintillate : 12-03-03 at 01:41 PM.
Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
headlight is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 12-03-03 , 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pouffykitty
I'm thinking of getting 1.25-1.50 ctw... do you think it's too big for my 5'2 body?

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask because I am also 5'2", but my studs are 5 ctw. Yes, 2.5 ct RB's in each ear. I was the VERY lucky recipient of my late grandmother's gorgoeus diamond earrings. Never in a million years would I have bought studs so large, but since they were gifted to me I love them and I wear them -- DAILY! At first I was embarrased and asked my DH to buy me smaller ones, but he said I'd "grow into them" which I did! They have sort of become my "trademark" (much more so than my 3.29 RB solitaire). If I had not inherited them, I would have wanted a carat in each ear (or close to a carat to come in under the "carat mark" as far as pricing is concerned).

Old SeattleMom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
SeattleMom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 12-03-03 , 01:53 PM

Mine are .5 tcw and are great for everyday wear since I'm a stay-at-home-mom and and usually wearing jeans and covered in baby food! But, I've recently tried on some larger earrings and realize that I'd like a larger pair and think that even 2 carat total weight looks REALLY good on me and I could carry this weight nicely since I have larger lobes. . .but, yeah, I'm dreaming here!!! lol

Realistically, I'm thinking just under 1 carat TW is perfect. Not to big, but not too small either!

Also, it matters if you plan to sleep with your studs (hehehe). . . Two carats seem comfortable. (I'm editing here to say UNCOMFORTABLE . . . ugh, it's only because I desperately want these that this slipped out

Michelle

Last edited by SeattleMom : 12-03-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old SeattleMom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
SeattleMom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 12-03-03 , 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pouffykitty

Oh, and NO these aren't too big for your build unless you have small ear lobes. This is more an indicator. . .

FWIW, I'm 5' 4", 108, and the two carats looked great. . .ah, okay, I'm going to be spending the rest of the day dreaming of these earrings

michelle

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
headlight is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 12-03-03 , 02:56 PM

MISSGOTROCKS -- I currently have mine set in four-prong baskets. However, I was thinking that I wanted to remount them in six-prong settings since they are "safer" for my 5 ctw studs and I like the look of how the round stone looks in the six-prong better anyway.

Old JD

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
JD is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 12-03-03 , 03:44 PM

I have 2 carat diamond studs in each ear and love them. I'm 5'5 and 105 lbs. They look great and are not over powering for my size. I wear them everyday with jeans and at night if I have to get dressed up. I wear a 5 carat round diamond as an engagement ring--no I didn't get that as my first diamond but over the years my husband has been generous and up graded it several times. I think I'm at a size now that I will never feel the need to up grade to larger.
JD

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
Power: 92
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 12-03-03 , 03:47 PM

I am between 5 ft 1 and 2 with small lobes and have been trying to figure out the same thing. I have studs that are smaller but noticable maybe .5 - .8tw not sure. I wanted something larger. I had a couple of interlaps set that would equal about a carat in each ear to try wearing around for size and I am feeling like this is too big for me(which actually suprised me). I think I will be more comfortable in the range you specified too. I think that is perfect for everyday wear if you don't want them to be your statement piece. I also do not have an engagement ring diamond so I think that a carat in each ear is not balanced or realistic looking for my jewelry wardrobe. My earrings are for every day wear too. Headlight, wow, I'd love to see your ensemble! I think that is a great balance with your ring and is perfect!

ancienthills signature
Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 12-03-03 , 05:43 PM

PlatinumDiamond~ I like the bezel look a lot. Is it hard to clean tho?

Pouffykitty signature
Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 12-03-03 , 05:58 PM

Some of you have screwbacks... do you take them off every day? I can't sleep with earrings on, so i HAVE to take them off every night. I was told not to get screwbacks if that's the case, and just go for longer posts with 2 creases/indents? that way if it slipps off the first one you still have the second one to save it.

Pouffykitty signature
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 89
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3856, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 12-03-03 , 06:55 PM

I won't get screwback posts...I've seen accidents with them - like the earring gets caught and instead of popping apart and saving the lobe, ends up tearing the lobe. Plus I take all my jewelry off at night and to swim, and the convenience would be an issue for me. This is what jewelry insurance is for, as far as I'm concerned. Just a long as you have notched posts and heavyweight backs, you should be fine.

Right now I'm wearing 1.00ctw moissanites in 4 prong baskets. I had 1.00ctw diamonds, but one of the salesgirls sold them out of my ears about 6 weeks ago. Instead of replacing them with the same, I'm saving up for 1.50ctw F+/SI-1+. Gonna take a little while... ; ) So I'll wear the moiss until then - hopefully, late next summer I'll have my new babies.

My boss says I have 'perfect' earring ears (it's a trade-off...my ring finger is an 8, so I never get to try on rings). He sometimes makes me try on earrings when they come in. My lobes are nice sized and my holes are perfectly centered. The problem with going too big for some people is that if you have tiny lobes or if your holes are low or wide, the edge or bottom of the studs goes to, or beyond you ear. Not what they were designed to look like. Of course, if I inherited a pair of 3 carat studs from someone, I don't think I'd leave them sitting in a jewelry box... But then, I have 'perfect' ears.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Last edited by GemGoddess : 12-03-03 at 06:58 PM.
Old MelissaCT

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
MelissaCT is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 12-03-03 , 06:58 PM

Screbacks won't fit in my ear!!!

Anyway, I wear 1.50 cttw round sim earrings daily.

I don't try to pass them off as real but usually people don't ask.

MelissaCT signature
M E L

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 12-03-03 , 07:08 PM

I have a pair of 1.0cttw sims that I wear every day. I never realized how it complements the face it until it showed up on my pictures on day when my hair was brushed back. Now I can't stop obsessesing about them! My only problem now is trying to decide what size to get. .50ct each ear seems just right for me now, but I'm sure that it'll shrink as I get older, so that's why i'm thinking about .75ct. 1ct each ear is way too big... but that's good for me because i'll save some money!

Pouffykitty signature
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Questions on Princess newbie by paint
Up a Topic Questions on Princess newbie posted in DIAMONDS by paint
Older:
Down a Topic Advice on Princess Cut Purchase by sdmarcus
Down a Topic GGG Gemological Grading Group posted in Appraisal & Insurance by jason7868