Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old afoit

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
afoit is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-25-03 , 01:25 PM

Hey DT,

Looking for a stone for engagement ring. Just bought a new house, unexpected baby on the way, so looking for a resonalbe diamond in the .5 to 1 ct range. Very interested in the synthetic diamonds for price as well as principle. russianstonecompany.com is advertising synthetic diamonds for CHEAP ($700 for a 1 Ct!). Too good to be true? Seems to be a simulant, not a synthetic stone. They are VERY vague on stone composition. Best I can figure out, chemical makeup seems to be Yttrium Zirconium oxide(YZrO2). I assume this to be similar to a CZ simulant? They are very misleading on their site -- indicating this is a synthetic diamond (which I take to mean a 100% carbon lab grown crystal). Consumer's BEWARE.

So my questions are:
#1. Are colorless synthetics out there? I hear Apollo diamond is going to market w/ D rated stones in January. Anybody in the trade have any info here?

#2. For a loose stone, what range should I expect to pay for .5 - 1 ct stone in the d - e / vss1 range. Can't pay too much.

#3. How do "trade folk" feel about cultured stones vs. natural?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-25-03 , 02:42 PM

If you are on a tight budget and go the natural diamond route- why does it have to be such good color and clarity. I have an H/ I1 that has one small visible feather hidden under a prong. It is a great cut though and looks awesome!! It was only 1400.00 ( retail store- I probably overpayed for it but it's way before I found this site) and is .80. It is set in a tiffany illusion box- as I loved the style. TO my suprise it now holds it's own against a 1.5 ct stone!! But- do't limit yourself to VVS even if it must be eye clean drop to a SI and on color go G/H- you'll get much more for your $$$$>

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
luluhb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-25-03 , 04:05 PM

Afoit. There are NO colorless synthetic (lab grown) diamonds on the market yet. They are selling glass..sims. There ARE colored synthetic diamonds on the market. (fancy yellow, etc).... I think that a cz is a cz to a certain extent. I think wink (freecz.com) has some awesome sims. Don't waste your money with more expensive ones (although you might want to check out betterthandiamond.com)... I have mixed feelings about their stones. Haven't decided if they are worth the $...Hope this helps!

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-25-03 , 05:09 PM

F and G colors are a much better bargain than D.

D is ultra rare. F is still in colorless. G is the best of the nearly colorless.

A lot of people here have H and I color too (also near colorless).

As far as clarity. Great was to save. Most Si1s are still eye clean. Some SI2s too. All Vs2s are eyeclean. I wear an eyeclean SI1. Only real reason to go higher is bragging rights. And that isn't worth it to me. (shrug)

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-25-03 , 05:37 PM

TOTALLY!!!! The clarity won't come up....unless she wants to brag!

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Pouffykitty is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-25-03 , 09:16 PM

That's not necessarily true. I have two IF diamonds from my mother. Although I wish my mom would have saved some money by buying lower clarity ones, I kinda like knowing that my diamonds are completely clean... even tho I can't see it. Maybe i'm just dumb, but I like knowing that I have perfect things, even if others don't!

hmm... however, if I were the one shelling out the $$, i would stay with VS2/Si1.. just thought i'd add that in.

Pouffykitty signature
Please remain seated, and keep your hands, arms, and legs inside at all time until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
Last edited by Pouffykitty : 11-25-03 at 09:20 PM.
Old medusa980

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
medusa980 is on a distinguished road

This is Just My Opinion....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-26-03 , 09:39 AM

Ok, this is just what I think...if you are willing to pay $700 for a synthetic diamond, why not just buy the real thing? The stone you want would not be that large anyway. If not, then why don't you consider one of the supersims? In my opinion if it's not a real diamond, then it' fake, no matter which way you rationalize it. Yes, I would want to have the synthetic too, but after they come down in price, which won't be for another 4 or 5 years.I have an asha for my center stone (1 ct). My jeweler was fooled. It is in a H color though. It has a lifetime warranty as well. If you want a D color, Interlaps look just like Asha. They cost around $20. They don't have a lifetime warranty, but they are so cheap it wouldn't kill you to replace it every couple of years until the synthetic comes down in price, or you decide to buy the real thing when finances are better....I love the supersims. I'm very pleased, and this is coming from someone who is extremely picky with her diamonds.

Old luluhb

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-26-03 , 09:43 AM

LOL Pouffy!!! And you're not dumb for wanting/liking an IF. My sister is the same way. Married at least 7 years (before she hit the jack-pot lol) she got a one carat D IF and will never trade it up!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic recutting question by amy2002
Up a Topic white gold palladium alloy posted in Wedding Issues by hatulia
Older:
Down a Topic another OMG buy this thread by eyecandygirl
Down a Topic another OMG buy this thread posted in DIAMONDS by eyecandygirl