Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old freemanteo

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
freemanteo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-16-03 , 06:40 PM

Hi there,

first time poster here. I donot have much money, but i want to get an engagement ring soon. I looked around yesterday at the mall and i saw a diamond ring, best of all, i liked it cos it was shiny and clear as i looked really close, and easy on my wallet! I was just window shopping, so i did not ask too much.

It was a 1/2ct Solitaire setting, Brilliant Cut, Color I, Clarity I, 14kt gold ring. He offered 18kt white gold free. $599

I have a few questions:

1. What is SO important from a GIA or EGL or other independent certificates? Because i have to pay $300 more to get a GIA certified diamond, which i think is crazy, i prefer to put the money into a bigger stone.

2. What do you think of the price of the diamond ring i saw? i could not see much inclusions even though it has a grade I clarity.

3. Since i cannot afford a platinum ring, and 18kt white gold looks as good but it yellows over time, is it ok to choose 18kt yellow gold? Will yellow gold loose its color over time?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4536, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-16-03 , 08:04 PM

Hi,

Welcome to DT

I agree with David 100%.

At this size and price range ignore the normal advice about certified diamonds which is intended for higher quality and more expensive diamonds.

At this price range and size , you are looking for the diamond with the least obvious problems.

If the diamond looks decent and they have a lifetime tradein it is a good deal.

I would go with the 18K WG

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old freemanteo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-17-03 , 12:57 AM

Thanks people.

The $599 is after discount, it was $1799. but i told him i am not buying it today and i wanted 18kt wg, he told me if i am serious, he would give an additional $100 off + the 18kt wg free. And it comes with lifetime warranty and free updrade/tradein for future. Is $599 a steal or just an average price?

most diamonds they have are EGL or other independent certs.

The diamond was on the ring, and i looked closely from the top, and i liked it as it sparkled well and i did not notice any inclusions or yellow. But wg fades in time and i have to polish and replate the rhodium every few yrs, right? Does yellow gold look ugly with a diamond? The ring is just a simple ring with 4 prongs, no fancy style or design on the ring.

Old marsmannix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
marsmannix is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-17-03 , 10:37 AM

i think white vs yellow gold is matter of choice, pretty much. i have both, and i wear both! what does your intended prefer?

mars

marsmannix signature
"Having a Boo Radley moment, are we?"
Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 90
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-17-03 , 11:28 AM

If I were you here's what I'd do....

Go to: http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com

Search for:
I-J color
SI1-SI2 clarity
Price range up to $700 (just to see what's there)

I would rather have a diamond with a VERY GOOD or VERY BEST cut that had a lower color and clarity. Cut is the ULTIMATE in making a diamond sparkle and people stare. IF you search on DT, there is a thread with I and J diamonds and they are absolutely stunning.

Also- a 1/2 carat diamond can be anywhere from .4 and on up...Most of the jewelry stores I've seen don't usually give the measurements. So the one you saw might not have been a true 1/2 carat.

If you can find an SI2 with the inclusions on the side of the diamond, you most likely won't see them when it is set. I see quite a few diamonds on this site that look pretty nice and are close to your price range. Look at this one: http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com /...m?did=68 77786

Don't be fooled by the "free" setting the jeweler is throwing in. It's probably a 50.00 very thin and wimpy solitaire setting and you can get those anywhere.

I really, really like the setting here- and it's only $250.00

http://www.bestgem.com/diamonds_pro...id=19&diamname=

Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-17-03 , 12:16 PM

I know lots of people might hiss and boo at this suggestion... but I recommend a seller on eBay whom I purchased an E SI1 .45 pear for $399. I later had it sent to the GIA for a report, but now he submits all his stones before he lists them (or most of them, I believe).

http://stores.ebay.com/id=3926555&ssPageName=L2

His stock is always rotating. He's had everything from round to heart to marquise. You just have to keep an eye out because the good stuff goes quick.

Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-17-03 , 12:52 PM

Cass,

I agree...I've bought some things from him and they've both been very nice. Good suggestion!!!

Old LUVROCKS

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
LUVROCKS is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-17-03 , 12:58 PM

One other thing to note. Not all white gold is plated - if you buy high quality white gold it has a slightly "warmer" look than plated white gold, but you never have to plate it, you would have to spend more on the setting upfront (Horizon is correct that a "free" setting is probably worth exactly what you are paying for it - nothing), but it would save money over time.

My wedding set is well made white gold - it was never plated and it never will be.

Old freemanteo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-17-03 , 01:33 PM

Horizon - I have checked the website, and i found an almost exact stone for $506. The ring is small and skinny, but 18kt wg, so i guess it might be worth $100 or more cos i looked around and found 14kt wg skinny rings for $99. That ring is nice but $250 is too much, thanks.

Cass - i will look into the ebayer, thanks. I need to confirm that he sells exactly what the picture and description says, right?

Luvrocks - How many kt is your white gold? 22, 20, 18 or 14kt? How much cheaper is your wg compared to platinum?

If the high quality wg ring is much cheaper than platinum, i would like that. And i will check the cert he has for the diamond. He told me it was a brilliant cut, what is brilliant cut? Is it good or very good cut? As i said, it sparkles well, i liked it. Thanks people.

Old LUVROCKS

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-17-03 , 01:50 PM

My ring is 14Kt white gold and it was about 1/2 the price of platinum. It is VERY thick and heavy and when my husband was picking it out he asked our jeweler what the difference was - his answer. "White gold will last you a lifetime, platinum will last you a lifetime and a half". That was good enough for him, plus he thought the ring done in platinum was too heavy (and I would have agreed, the white gold is heavy enough). It has a warm tone to it but it's certainly not yellow and the color hasn't changed over the three years I've worn it. To me plated white gold looks just like sterling silver. I perfer the unplated.

I believe that "brilliant" is the type of round - indicating that it has 58 facets.

Old headlight

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 76
headlight is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-17-03 , 02:41 PM

Yes, Luvrocks is correct in saying that brilliant cut only refers to its shape, that being a round stone. "Brilliant" cut has nothing to do with its actual cut quality (or lack thereof). Many people use the term brilliant interchangably when referring to a round shape stone. Thus, there are various cuts (more simply described as shape) such as marquise, pear, oval, brilliant (aka round), princess, radiant, asscher, etc.

Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-17-03 , 02:52 PM

To expand a little on what Headlight said...

Just because the jeweler told you it's a Brilliant Cut doesn't mean it isn't a poorly cut stone. Unless you know it's statistics, etc. you probably can't tell unless you compare it side by side with a true ideal cut....

Have you tried to compare this stone to one that is a true ideal cut with a GIA cert? Just curious here

I'd hate to see you spend 500.00 on a so-so stone when you could get a really nice one for a tiny bit more!

Even if you have to wait another few months to buy the stone, wouldn't it be worth it?

Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-17-03 , 03:04 PM

In regards to my purchase from that eBay seller, yes. The picture he posted was of the diamond I received. He and his crew had graded it as an F VS2. The GIA graded it E SI1 - That's pretty good grading considering some of the things I've seen come off eBay. I could see the inclusion in the ultra-close photograph he took that makes my stone an SI1, and it is not visible to the naked eye. The same point was charted on my GIA cert. So it was what was pictured. I'll note that I've yet to find a prettier pear. It's the only pear I've seen that has absolutely no bowtie effect.

Old skinner55

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
skinner55 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=19, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-17-03 , 04:13 PM

Greetings: A .50 ct. round I color, I1 claity and 2a cut (very high cut), lists on one of the trade surveys at 1150 p/c wholesale. Which would make the full retail value of this approx. $1,250.00 which a good discount would be about 35% which would put it at around $850 or less. If it is not well cut it could be another 20% less. The one thing that is good about a round is that you can have alot wrong with it and the cut can still look decent. As for the mounting. Go with 14kt.white with a 4 prong die stuck setting that is pegged to the shank. Ed

Old orzo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
orzo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-17-03 , 05:38 PM

I have a.80 H, I1. I have one visible inclusion under a prong- a small white feather. No ones sees it unless I point it out. One day I'd like an G/SI or above but this stone is cut great and I love it. It sparkles and has a smaller table so tons of fire like I like. The diamond is appraised at 1500.00 I think. Obviously not the retail value though. I ,in my financial situation then, would like a larger stone with a small inclusion than say a VVS that was much smaller. Cut well of course. It's just what is important to you!!

Old freemanteo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-17-03 , 09:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your insight. i am not going to buy the ring soon, maybe Jan or Feb. I will look around first.

From where i am from, below 18kt gold is "considered" fake or cheap, below average, no one sells below 18kt unless it is cosmetic/fashion jewellery. When i came to US, i was shocked to see the stores selling 10-14kt gold. I know it is harder than 18kt and above, but i prefer to give her a 18kt wg.

How do i tell the jeweller to plate the ring in 18kt wg to the extend that it will not fade in color over a long period of time? I read that without plating, there is no protection and the wg will fade alot faster, but according to Luvrocks, she got a much higher quality wg than anyone, from what i read in some threads.

Thanks for your time.

Old LUVROCKS

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-18-03 , 04:50 PM

The look of white gold depends on what alloy the manufacturer uses. Certain metals included in the mix make the final product look whiter, that's why mine is considered higher quality. This mix is quite hard to find from what I understand (I guess I'm lucky to have it!).

As far as plating goes I believe the term is "mils" or "mills", the higher the mil number the thicker the plating...

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Just curious vendors selling old cuts by pelepup
Up a Topic Sex The City Ring posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by diamondangel
Older:
Down a Topic can someone help with this ring replication by jenks
Down a Topic Independent Appraisals Gem Lab posted in Greet New Members by AAGO