Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old whiffles

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 0
whiffles is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-13-03 , 07:38 PM

Hi:

I have a 2 year old 24K pendant that has never been worn and came from a reliable jeweler. I noticed that the back of the pendant has some small round specks that look like rust or tarnish spots. I Don't know if the specks were there originally as it was hard to see them under artificial lighting but I clearly saw the specks in sunlight. The front of the pendant is fine. Does anyone know what the specks are? None of my other 24k jewelry have specks on them?

I also have a piece of gold jewelry stamped 900 that was given to me as a gift. The gold jewelry came from Chinatown in New York. Tried looking up the gold karat in Yahoo and couldn't find any gold stamped 900? Does anyone know what the 900 stamp means?

Thanks.

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-14-03 , 09:47 AM

Depending on how the piece was constructed, the specks could be bits of metal dust of a lesser karat, or solder splatter which adhered to the surface during heating.
Otherwise, they may be impurities in the metal, which may have been heated and worked, or re-worked from previously scrapped bits of gold.
Probably not an issue, but difficualt to remove, as 24 karat will not really polish. If it is unsightly, a jeweller might be able to re-surface the area by stripping it and burnishing with a harder metal.

As for the 900 stamp, it works out to 21.6 karat, which is unusual in jewellery production. 900 is a recognised stamp for 90% platinum. I am not as familiar with Asian standards as some others might be, but my guess is that the manufacturer has a favourite alloy, and that is it.
Purer gold is unmistakeable. Nothing looks or feels like it, and even the lightest pieces have a certain density which is most evident.

Best regards,
David

auplatinumman signature
Have you hugged your goldsmith today?
Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

900 stamp .....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-14-03 , 12:51 PM

I too thought only Platinum with 90% would be marked 900. Could that be a sterling silver? I believe sterling silver is marked with a 925, though!

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-14-03 , 01:05 PM

900 platinum is 90%, yes.
925 is sterling silver, yes.
A yellow object sold as gold, stamped 900 is a bit outside of ordinary, but is probably 90% pure gold, 10% alloy.

David

auplatinumman signature
Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CnSpotts is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-14-03 , 01:53 PM

This is interesting because I have a yellow gold ring that I brought back from Korea stamped 585 & 14k but it has a warmer color than typical american 14k. Any ideas and what does the number mean?

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-14-03 , 03:40 PM

The 585 is parts per thousand, or 58.5 per cent. Europe has been using this means of purity guarantee for...a long time, centuries probably.

The number is always convertible to percentage by moving the decimal place one number to the left. Curious that karat or (U.K. carat) has been stubbornly adhered to, as most people haven't the foggiest idea what it means, unless they have attempted to educate themselves, or they hang out on D.T.

Maybe that's the intent. Confusion between carrot, karat, and carat(this U.K. thingy still amazes me) will keep most of the population confused while they are being sold "gold" of low purity.

As for the colour, well, this is another issue...choice of alloy by the manufacturer. Competing companies from different countries utilize differnt alloy formulas, depending on what is being made from the alloyed gold, and how it must be worked. Some companies use the cheapest alloys, some hate what copper does to the mix, some like copper because it makes the alloyed gold take on a pink or red hue, some like the greenish tinge of gold alloyed with silver in larger proportions.

Think of it as a recipe where the flavours change a bit, but in each case, you still wind up with a delicious cake.

David

auplatinumman signature
Last edited by auplatinumman : 11-14-03 at 03:50 PM.
Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CnSpotts is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-14-03 , 04:11 PM

Thank you...I'll go loupe the other oversea stuff I have to see what turns up.

Old PlatinumDiamond

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
PlatinumDiamond is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=859, In=24

After you loupe the other oversea stuff ,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-15-03 , 08:17 AM

let us know what you find!

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-15-03 , 03:55 PM

This is quite an informative link. It explains all about carats - both for diamonds and gold - and why some countries use a 'k' in the spelling.
http://www.stephanides.com.cy/store...measure__1.html

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 170
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-17-03 , 03:14 AM

I bought these earrings yesterday.
They are 23 karat gold! It's the first time I've seen 23K gold. They're made in India and are stamped
"23C."

Attached Images
jewelry 734sm.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-17-03 , 03:26 AM

More overseas high-karat gold:
my 22K Thai earrings

Attached Images
jewelry 267sm.jpg

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 88
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-17-03 , 07:40 PM

It has always suprised me that European jewellers always warn against high carat gold jewellery, maintaining that it's too soft for everyday wear, yet in Asia/India etc they seem quite happy to make 22ct and 23ct stuff. I know that it's probably cultural and to do with it being a dowry or something and so they want the jewellery to be as pure as possible as it represents 'wealth', but that doesn't stop the ladies from wearing it, just the same.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-18-03 , 02:07 AM

The color of such high-carat jewelry is an amazingly intense yellow.

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 103
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17775, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-18-03 , 03:55 PM

24k gold never tarnishes, that's why it is used in high quality electronic connectors and in all the computer chips micro connections or spiders, if you see a microchip in a microscope all the conections are done of pure 24k gold.

24k gold in jewelry is used mainly in China, even now most of the old people don't considere gold anything but 24k pure gold.

22 and 23k is used in India and other countries in Asia.

The 900 stamp in the gold as said by auplatinumman is 21.6 karats (just multiply .900 by 24 that is the pure gold), this is the most common gold alloy to stamp coins around the world.
Some jewelry is done by just melting and casting this coins.

The words Karat and Carat are not the same, Karat with K is the purity of the gold in an alloy and can be expressed in thousands or in derivates parting from 24 that is the pure gold.

Carat with C is the fifth part of a gram or 0.20 gr. and is a unit used to weight precious stones.

Pure 24k jewelry is soft and can be scratched very easy but it seems to last more than any other alloy, you can see samples of Egiptian, Mayan, and Aztec jewelry in museums with 1000's of years and are in perfect conditions.

They knew the lost wax process then and most of the pieces where cast in clay over bee's wax models.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-18-03 , 11:09 PM

Hi Juan--good to see you back,
Long time no see

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic pearl care use of oil by eyecandygirl
Up a Topic Hello and self introduction posted in Greet New Members by kenfrost
Older:
Down a Topic Hallmark on Bracelet by Redroses
Down a Topic For Sale 1 07ct Marquise Diamond Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by jeweler4life93